Cigar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last weekend I was an 'Englishman in New York' where I experienced your draconian smoking legislation, huge prices, small appartments and enormous food portions. Have to say that I loved it but thought I would share some insights I picked up along the way:

1. Always do your own research - smoking outside a non smoking bar in late November is a revolting and extremely chilly experience. Find a cigar bar that is warm and cosy - there are plenty around.

2. Always, always, always bring your own cigars to NY. I went to Merchants cigar bar and wanted a Robusto - the only one they had was a Cohiba - and that cost me US$29. That is approximately £20 - this is the most I have ever paid for a cigar in my life and I am used to English cigar prices!

3. Never, ever have breakfast in bed - always go out to the closest diner. On our first morning at the hotel we decided to spoil ourselves and have breakfast in the room - the cost? US$60! At the diner we could stuff our faces for US$25

4. Do all your clothes shopping at Century 21. This has got to be the most amazing department store I have ever been to. Timberland boots reduced from US$140 to US$65 - I'm loving it!

5. Walk everywhere - NY is a great city for walking around - preferably not whilst wearing your new Timberland boots purchased from Century 21 - my blisters are now killing me.

Apart from that I loved the place, but am not sure my credit card will be able to handle another visit for another 5 years!

Follow these simple rules and you will leave NY a lot better off than I currently am.

The Rodster

·
Registered
585 Posts
definately bring your own smokes to NY, we have a vicious tax here.

to pay 29$ for a non cuban cohiba is worse then having to drink puddle water from 2nd avenue. Even Club Macanudo has decent cigars for 10$(la gloria cubana serieR)

glad u enjoyed nyc, its better in the spring and fall though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.