Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I wanted to say how much this cigar forum rocks, you are a great bunch of guys and it makes me proud to be part of it. Second I was wondering if anyone noticed the cigar aficionado forums, they are full of snobs with attitude problems just like the magazine, man I hate that! And the ratings, well you all know about that...if I wanted a cigar that tasted like chocolate or vanilla I'd contact Hershey's. But anway I haven't read Smoke in a while and I went to the website the other day and I'm still so impressed with the ratings. I'm glad someone puts the ratings in the hands of the everyday smoker, not some snob in a suit!

P.S. Hope everyone in the NE US is doing ok with the power outtage!

·
F.O.G. with nice smokes
1,605 Posts
Glad you like the jungle Scarface. I would agree on most of what you wrote. DON'T read to much into "ratings" from any magazine. Even with Smoke's ratings, they can be WAY off what the cigars really are.

This is going on what some people I call friends told me. They smoked cigars, for reviews, for smoke magaize. The "printed" reviews and rating, were MUCH better than the actual reviews and ratings. The explaination they got for the "changes" were because the cigar manufactures had "invested" so much in advertising, they could not write a bad review.

As for some of the "other" boards, your 100% right on.

Just my $.02

OPT :u

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OPT you're the man...thanks for telling me about that, I guess I'm naiive! I should have figured that, I mean what can ya expect really, if they put down real reviews they'd be out of business. All the same, that cA forum was still filled with snobs, I hate that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
SNIP. . . Second I was wondering if anyone noticed the cigar aficionado forums, they are full of snobs with attitude problems just like the magazine, man I hate that! And the ratings, well you all know about that...if I wanted a cigar that tasted like chocolate or vanilla I'd contact Hershey's.
[/B]

I hope I'm not being a "snob," but there is something to describing the taste of a cigar using tastes familiar to all of us. It's really hard, for example, to review cigars without such terms. And often they really do have notes of cocoa, or of toast, or leather . . .or at least flavors close to them. Same goes with wine: Beaujolais really do have a berry-ish flavor. I hope you don't write of the reviews in this forum as the work of snobs, just because they use such words to describe flavors!

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Welcome!

I have done some reviews for "Smoke Magazine" and what OnePyroTec has told you is spot on.

As much as the mags will say it's not true.... advertisers dollars DO have an effect on reviews.

As for ratings. I trust the people on this board FARRRRRR more than I do any magazine.

That said... one mag that I find has the most "correct" reviews (IMHO of course) is "European Cigar Cult Journal." That's the first mag I pick up and read when I go to my local tobacconist.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
I was at a lost to figure how the new Ashton La Aroma de Cubas were grabbing 90+ ratings in CA. I've tried all sizes, shared them with several buddies, none of us could get beyond 1/2 mark!

I did really enjoy the 10th anniv. issue of CA, it had a lot of interesting and useful information. I buy it about 3 times a year, if they have a topic I'm interested in, but what the hey, the reviews are free and easier on the net........but I take them the same way I take the WWF! :D

If the La aroma de Cuba is better than all the Cuban cigars put out the last 5 years, I don't want to be an Aficionado!!!

On another note, do any LLGs subscribe to Cigar Insider? If you do, is it worth the big $$? It is right up my alley, with current scuttle and stuff. LMK if you do, I'd like to hear remarks about thei Pub. rns

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope I'm not being a "snob," but there is something to describing the taste of a cigar using tastes familiar to all of us. It's really hard, for example, to review cigars without such terms. And often they really do have notes of cocoa, or of toast, or leather . . .or at least flavors close to them. Same goes with wine: Beaujolais really do have a berry-ish flavor. I hope you don't write of the reviews in this forum as the work of snobs, just because they use such words to describe flavors!
Well number 1 it's NOT really hard to review cigars without using such terms. Look up a recent interview with Carlos Fuente and he goes on about how he thinks it's rediculous that people use such terms to define cigars, as he prefers to use terms like bitter, sweet, sour, good draw, tough, mild, full, and such and such and I would agree with that. And number 2 I would not agree with toast or leather, but I could probably see the cocoa thing. But leather?? I just don't see where a cigar tastes like chomping on leather and I've never smelled one (linked to taste) that was similar to a leather aroma. Berry-ish, I've never had one that tasted berry-ish myself but I know there are plenty of cigars out there that may fit that profile. Toast, hmm no I dont think of smoking a cigar and eating toast in the same thought, sorry. And besides all that my comment was a joke as i joke often, if you read any of my other posts I joke quite a bit. And besides all that it's not just a review that defines a snob, it's an overall behavior pattern. I don't think people are snobs because they write such reviews, in fact I think they are insightful opinions and I appreciate anyone who is in the same hobby as mine, I find anyone who takes the time to write a review to be a fine individual indeed, it's just that I don't always agree and that's what an opinion entitles. But cA is filled with snobs and I think most people can see it's not just the fake reviews, it's the overall opinion and swager of the mag, however I would agree that sometimes they do have great articles. I take things with a grain of salt, please take my comments with a grain as well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I gotta say the IMHO the Smoke mag reviews really are lame.

During the boom, the time of the really lousy cigars, almost all smokes were very highly rated. Most of these cigars tasted worse than the match they were lit with.

If you save old issues look back at them. Note the large amounts of "Don" crappola. You'd think they were cigar gifts from heaven by the reviews.

I know that CA can and often is very "full of itself". But I find the reviews much more on the mark. You've got to consider that many cigars you smoke can be fresh, one year old, or maybe they've been sitting in a warehouse for 5 years.

CA has started to include date of manufacture on their Cuban reviews. This should apply to every cigar no matter where or when made. Times have changed so much over the past few years. Tobacco crops change every year. A great blender makes every cigar taste the same year after year. Just as a great wine blender or Scotch blender recreates the same great taste year after year, a great cigar blender does also.

Unfortunately this happens rarely, (IMHO), and cigars taste different when they shouldn't. It's no wonder that last year's 90 is this years 82 and vice versa. (Did I even come close to spelling that correctly?)

I rant again.

Zino said the best cigar he ever smoked was the one he was smoking right now. That's pretty cool.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, well it seems it is more and more difficult to get any real answers or comments on CA without getting your hide flamed off.Some of the revues are insightful for sure though.I always treat revues as one mans opinion just a general guide as to what to expect.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm newbie here. I'm very glad to find this site and to join you guys. I look forward to listening to the opinions and information from you experienced smokers and learn more about the cigars!!

I thought Top 25 ranking and scores at this site are more accurate than CA or Smoke ratings. Cuban EL's and PAM's are sharing the top ratings here, and I think it is very healthy status. Other ratings look accurate as well.

I enjoy the CA forums, too. People there are generally nice and helpful. However, as this thread pointed out, sometimes it is tough to deal with some of the "hard core" guys there. I'd like to be more relaxed and frank especially when we discuss the topics such as "Cubans vs Non Cubans". I don't want to scream at each other over the never changing opinions.

Again, I look forward to learn more about the cigars from you wise guys!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcomes!

I'm not a "motor" cyclist. I'm a "pedalling" cyclist. I couldn't find any bicycle images to choose for the small pic under my name, so I just picked the closest one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I would agree with cyclist that the ratings at the top25 are much more accurate than the mags, I was checkin them out over the weekend and I would say that most of them are pretty good, and the cigars I've smoked I would rate them the same as most people have. And yeah just cause someone else likes a cigar doesn't mean you're going to, but it's good to know that a mass amount of people are being honest about one. It's definitely a better point in the right direction. It's funny that I'm going on about ratings, cause I really only smoke 2 or 3 cigars regularly and padron's being 90 percent of the time. I guess I was lookin for a reason to rip on cA :r

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By the way I was checking out a few manufacturers websites, and most of them go on about the quality of the leaves, the steps for production and the care they take into making each cigar..that sorta thing. What's up with CAO's site? It's all about fashion and the Ozgener family and the little they say about cigars is limited to the sizes and brands they offer, it seems a little....I don't know can't think of the word but it doesn't really look related to cigars. But the music on the homepage is sweet haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts