Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what everybody thinks about the Sir Winstons that are shipping right now. It's the one "must try" that I have yet to try. Thanks in advance for any and all input!

John

·
-
11,412 Posts
wish i could help you, john.

<threadjack>
had anything from that box split you were just in?
</threadjack>

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IHT said:
wish i could help you, john.

<threadjack>
had anything from that box split you were just in?
</threadjack>
:D I absolutely love the Slippery Slope!! A buddy from the cigar shop just ordered a box of Sir Winstons. He's going to split it with me (very cool). But here's the great part- I'm probably going to order a box myself, along with my usual order, tomorrow! :r I haven't even tried the stinkin' cigar yet, and I'm already set to pull the trigger on a fairly expensive box of 'em! :r It's just too funny. I really shouldn't bitch abouot my girlfriend and her shoes!

Oh, and IHT, no, I have not tried any of our box split. I'm trying to hold off for a couple more weeks. Probably sometime between Christmas & New Years Day. I'll try and post a review, but mine are pretty crappy.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just smoked one 2 weeks ago... I think it was very similar with the H. Upmann Magnum 46... But sir Winston was ofcourse a larger cigar... I think I will get H. Upmann Magnum 46 in the future... if I had to choose...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
IMHO the SW is the most refined cigar in the Upmann line up, and one of the most refined churchills coming out of Cuba today.

This is a very deceiving cigar. It can be somewhat mild and one dimensional when tasted young.....under 5 plus years. This cigar does gain strength in flavor and complexities as it grows older. I have some from the 70's that are absolutely phenomenal.....extremely complex and flavorful.

Have patience with this cigar and you will be well rewarded!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have limited experience with this cigar. I think Bruce hit the nail right on the head. It is a refined cigar that is very complex. The recent ones I had were a bit mild for my tastes, but the ones I had from the early 90's were richer and deeper. Given the price however, not worth it to me. You may like them though, worth a try. Other than the #2, I'm not a huge Upmann fan. I enjoy Punch or S.L.R. Churchills (cabs) more, and they are cheaper. I don't know if I have just had bad luck, but I've had a lot of draw problems with the Sir Winston also.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
The Sir Winston is like the Cohiba of the H. Upmann line. A cut above the rest in terms of age, complexity, smoothness, character. It smokes like it's a mature cigar. :w

·
-
11,412 Posts
motortown said:
I'll try and post a review, but mine are pretty crappy.
so are mine. i'm long-winded and they are full of :BS most of the time.

as far as your ordering of cigars you've never had before. DO IT. you know they'll be awesome. if not, i'm sure someone will buy 5-packs off of you for what you paid for them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Personally, I LOVE the Sir Winston. I've had many boxes, but I fail to see any similarity at all with the Mag 46. :confused:

The SW, as was stated, is an elegant, subtle cigar. Very complex and ever changing. They always have a very nice background chocolate/cocoa note to them. This is a serious cigar, something to be savored. One of my all-time favorites. And I love the elegant presentation. Fits the cigar perfectly. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, guys. All of the feedback is greatly appreciated. I was hoping that the Sir Winston would be similiar to the Mag 46, which I absolutely love! Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't want the exact same cigar, but I think you know what I mean. Kind of like stepping up from a Party Short to a PDS4. :D

I really enjoy the RyJ Churchill, and am just looking for something in that size that's a little fuller than that stick. I had a Punch a while back, but it was an extremely tight draw. That seems to be a recurring problem whenever I try a churchill or double corona (although I have a box of the RyJ Chrchlls that are the bomb!). I'll give you guys an idea of what I like.

My favorite corona gordas would be: the Siglo IV, the Mag 46 and the Punch Punch.

My favorite robustos would be: the PDS4, CoRos & JL2s (of course!), followed by the old standbys, the RASS & the VRFs, along with the BRCs.

Torpedoes & Belicosos would be: the Monte 2, the Diplomaticos 2, and the Sancho Panza Beli.

I know a lot of our good friends out there are shipping fantastic Churchill and Double Corona samplers. I may just go that route for now. As always, any advice, wisdom or suggestions from the other LLGs out there is always greatly, greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays to All!!

Thanks Again,
John

·
-
11,412 Posts
motortown said:
Love the new smilie, eh? :D

John
you ain't :BS i love it! :D

i would like a few more though. the soapbox one is a little old and nobody uses it much (the cussing one is good enough). the sleeping one sucks, the rasta is cool, but rarely used.

now, for some really cool smileys, CW has a ton of 'em. i love their "dark side" and lipsmackin smilies. plus the "bowdown" is cool...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Seriously, if you're looking for a cigar that has anything near the strength (nicotine-wise) of a Mag 46, you'll be disappointed in the Sir Winston in that regard. But in the flavor department, you'll be more than happy.

Personally, if you like the RyJ Churchill, I think you'll enjoy the SW. But again, it's an elegant, almost understated cigar. If you want the kick of a PSD#4 or Partagas Short, you'll be disappointed, and probably should look elsewhere.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
cazadore said:
Personally, if you like the RyJ Churchill, I think you'll enjoy the SW. But again, it's an elegant, almost understated cigar. If you want the kick of a PSD#4 or Partagas Short, you'll be disappointed, and probably should look elsewhere.
Right on here!

The Sir Winnie is best known for its flavor & complexity not its oomph!! [To me it tastes like the tobacco in there has been aged three years before rolling -- does anyone here at CS concur?].

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MoTheMan said:
Right on here!

The Sir Winnie is best known for its flavor & complexity not its oomph!! [To me it tastes like the tobacco in there has been aged three years before rolling -- does anyone here at CS concur?].
Well, well! Looks like I'm gonna love the Sir Winston. If it's a more "refined" cigar, then I'm all for it. But I'm also in search of a nice churchill or double corona that packs a little more power than the RyJ. Nothing that'll knock me on my can, but I think you know what I mean!

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Try the Punch Monarca (Churchill Tubed) [Mmm!! :rolleyes: :D :w ]. It's got strength, intensity, character and just enough size to enjoy. Any bigger and you would end up on your butt.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you're lookinf for a churchill with some kick, and like that floral, sweet Punch profile, the Monarcas are a good choice. A bit stronger than the regular Punch Churchills.

But if you want something with a decent kick, I would highly recommend the Bolivar Coronas Gigante. To me, they are by far the strongest regular production churchill.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cazadore said:
But if you want something with a decent kick, I would highly recommend the Bolivar Coronas Gigante. To me, they are by far the strongest regular production churchill.
Is that a cigar that needs a fair amount of age? I had one last Winter that really didn't impress me. It might've been a little young, though.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
motortown said:
Is that a cigar that needs a fair amount of age? I had one last Winter that really didn't impress me. It might've been a little young, though.
Boli C.G. is my favorite churchill, and I agree the strongest one out there. I have some from 02 (cab sel.) that are very good. Shoot me a p.m. with your address and I'll be glad to send you one to try.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
cazadore said:
If you're lookinf for a churchill with some kick, and like that floral, sweet Punch profile, the Monarcas are a good choice. A bit stronger than the regular Punch Churchills.

I wasn't aware there was a difference in blends in the Punch churchills and the tubed churchills? Iv'e smoked both and havn't noticed. The Bolivar tubed churchills and the reg Boli C.G. don't taste any different to me either. :confused:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts