Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first when I saw some members on the board saying the Siglo VI didn't have enough strength, I thought they were crazy. I just finished a box from Mar03 (EMS), awsome taste and very full bodied. I recently recieved some from Spain MKO SEP03, I believe that is El Laguito now. Some of the best construction I have ever seen, only problem is the blend is very weak and mild. The difference is night and day. Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I don't think age is going to make a difference, they don't taste bad just weak. I also had the same problem recently with some Esplendidos( Febo2 don't remeber the factory), perfect construction and wrappers but lacking the typical depth and intensity. :confused:

·
Registered
239 Posts
i think cohibas are the most inconsistent cigars in cuba. they can be as mild as a diamond crown or can give you a buzz almost like smoking pot. i have experienced both. when they are weak, i kinda feel cheated myself.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I was gifted a Siglo VI from Paul that I thought was a WONDERFUL smoke in term of both flavor and strength. Very flavorful with a buzz factor around 7. Hope that helps.

·
-
11,412 Posts
i can't help you on this problem, i've only had a siglo I, II, and a CoRo and Esplindido. the ONLY one i liked was the Siglo I. the sig II and CoRo tasted like one of my well aged Don Asa's (no joke). the 'dido was fine, just not my cup of tea. none were powerful to me... got 'em all in europe at the same shops i always go to, so i don't think authenicity were a problem.

sorry i can't help with the VI problem, i have no experience with them at all.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IHT,
Give the corona especial and the Siglo V a try. Both are very strong and have enough complexity to keep you interested. The esplendidos is never a powerhouse, but when they are on they are very complex and delicious. The first batch of Siglo VI's I had were full flavored med-strength. The others ones I mentioned are very mild like a El Rey Del M. :w

·
-
11,412 Posts
fredster,
you're one of the many that keeps referring me toward the corona especials and cigars of that type. they must be good.

i really enjoyed the Sig I, even wrote a glowing review of it on here. but have since had 2 other cohibas that have let me down greatly. and i'm not joking that they tasted like cheap Don Asa cigars (i still have some that've been aging for a while - they're not half bad). the 'dido was alright, plenty mild. that nutty flavor, but that was about it... i won't write off cohibas, but i won't go out of my way to seek them out now. i'd rather buy 2 PSD4s over 1 CoRo, or a handful of parti shorts or SC el principes over the sig I or II.

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
I was gifted a VI also:

.....Nice medium brown wrapper with a great oily sheen. Wonderful construction. Nice easy draw with a wonderful aroma and lots of creamy smoke. Very one-dimensional in taste, mostly of toasted tobacco and I think a hint of sweetness..too muted to tell. A very mild smoke in flavor and strength at best. Reminded me of the old Wendys ad, "where's the beef"???

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You just described the ones I've got perfectly. I wish I still had some of the other batch, they really were totally different cigar.:w

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I'm in a foul Cohiba mood. My box of VI's is good, but I have two boxes of Cohiba Robusto's that aren't up to Cohiba quality. I agree that the quality has been all over the board lately.

My last box of Juan Lopez No. 2's blow away the CoRo's.

·
Registered
410 Posts
pds said:
...My last box of Juan Lopez No. 2's blow away the CoRo's.
I got my first box of #2's last month and I don't think they're long for this earth ;) I'm gonna have to ge more of these little beauties.

I've got a box of VI's in route so we'll see how those do.

·
Registered
368 Posts
pds said:
My last box of Juan Lopez No. 2's blow away the CoRo's.
Hi, guys. I've been off the boards a bit as of late (working my ass off). I saw PDS's thread and it's cracking me up! :r

Don't get me wrong, I love all Cohiba's. But I've rarelyhad a bad JL2.

Love the new look, PDS. And thanks for the laugh.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
From my experience, if the Cohiba line is what you crave the most consistant cigars to me have been the Siglo I's, II's, and the Corona Especiales.

The Siglo VI's are good, but considering the price I'm happier with many other cigars that are mucho cheaper.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Poker, I agree. I love the Cor.Especials. Had the Sig2, thought it was good, but there are better coronas for the price. Have yet to try a Sig1. I don't think the cigars are sick. I got a box of these last March (first production batch). They were strong and tasty, but young tasting. I just finished that batch and at the year point they were excellent and still full bodied. These other ones don't have any young or harsh notes. The flavor that is there is good, just way too mild. Okie2 described them to a T. Creamy, toasty, with some cedar notes, but very weak. The juan Lopes#2 and El. Rey. C.Supreme are heavier than these cigars. :confused:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Bruce, I know what you mean. Nothing like that flavor when you get close to mid point on an Esplendidos (when the blend is correct that is). They are slow starters though. I gave Mo one of my Sig. 6's from the original batch Mar03,if you are around when he smokes it you have to try it. Totally different cigar than the current ones. Definately heavier than an Esplendidos, but very complex. I wonder if the Cubans decided to change the blend after they were out for a while. Iv'e heard from a lot of people on the Board now that all say they have had the mild ones.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have around 6 to date...didn't experience a difference, but this was early on in the release. I've expeirenced this with other sticks, but always chalked it up to a sick period. It would be intersting to know if they did ifact change the blend. I guess I would wonder "why?" if that was infact the case. :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts