Cigar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I smoked more than my usual quota of 2-3 per week. I smoked a stick everyday, 7 days in a row (finally had some extra time :) ) and I noticed something different. More phlegm in my throat area. A vague feeling of mucus build-up in my chest area. Nothing else. I don't think I had a cold since I usually cough and sneeze when sick.

I don't inhale and I'm a slow smoker (petite corona will last me close to an hour). Yesterday was a smokeless day. This morning, the phlegm and feeling of mucus build-up has subsided. Anybody ever experience this? Not concerned, but curious about this different feeling I had.

·
Misplaced
6,385 Posts
Too many cigars can be potentially bad for you because of the nature of tobacco and nicotine. As in all things, I try to practice moderation during the week and keep away from cigars during the week because I know I'll be smoking a butt load on the weekends. I know that's probably not good either, but it's my only other vice!! :ss

·
Oreo Cookie Blues
3,649 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it is. I smoke about 1 a day, and a week goes by when I smoke less, I do feel much more healthy and less-phlegmy.:ss If I know I'm going to smoke more than my usual, I try to make it 2 or three in a row and none the following days just so my body can catch up. It is the nature of tobacco to make us feel awful after smokin'... but while your smokin', it is some good times!:cb

·
Registered
379 Posts
One a day for me. Every now and again I get 'dry-mouth' and need to stop for awhile. No phlegm issues. I've noticed no health impact.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would tend to agree that your body has also told you that maybe IT would rather YOU didn't smoke that many. Also, if those hints subsided after not smoking I would also say that you have a gauge to go by now with regards to how many you smoke. I also try to practice moderation and usually smoke about 3 a week. I have also learned not to worry about finding a "yard-gar", or a " an ok smoke for when you don't have time to give the cigar the attention it needs". This doesn't mean I don't like cheap sticks, but they still need to be as enjoyable as the higher priced ones, and when I find those, thats where the real joy is. I guess what I mean is that, I am not going to smoke a cigar just for the sake of smoking one, if I am going to put my health at risk, I want to be fully aware of the enjoyable experience that is smoking a great cigar. That philosophy has helped me keep with my 3 or so a week...... that and the colder temps. I'll have to check back when those 75 degree nights in VA kick in soon.... I'm pretty sure then I will be in trouble. Anyone else's thoughts?

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you smoked 12 cigars in one day!? Or sat around with 12 others and burned through 19 smokes in a matter of a few hours!?

Not that that would ever happen!! But ..... what if!?:ss

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I smoke once or twice a week sometimes not at all though. I notice more phlegm after I smoke. A lot of it can be controlled by better brushing. Brush your teeth, the inside of your cheeks, your tongue all the way to the back, and the roof of your mouth. You'll be amazed at the nasty color of your spit.

An expectorant may be in order as well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Last week, I smoked more than my usual quota of 2-3 per week. I smoked a stick everyday, 7 days in a row (finally had some extra time :) ) and I noticed something different. More phlegm in my throat area. A vague feeling of mucus build-up in my chest area. Nothing else. I don't think I had a cold since I usually cough and sneeze when sick.

I don't inhale and I'm a slow smoker (petite corona will last me close to an hour). Yesterday was a smokeless day. This morning, the phlegm and feeling of mucus build-up has subsided. Anybody ever experience this? Not concerned, but curious about this different feeling I had.
The increase in phlegm is probably the result of the sudden increase in your usual "quota". The only way to find out for sure is go back to your 2-3 week and see what happens. If the phlegm returns to the typical amount you'll have to decide if you really think the added pleasure of the extra cigars is worth the risk. Your body might with time adjust to the increase, but in my uneducated opinion, I would tend to doubt it.:ss

F. Prefect

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I used to smoke at least one a day then on Jan 1st I started my new years resolution to lose weight and get back into shape (17lbs so far). So I cut back to just a couple on the weekends. I have noticed I feel much healthier now and my car is smelling better. And when I do plan to smoke a cigar I really, really look forward to it and enjoy it more.

·
Penn Central lives!
1,400 Posts
I tend to stick to one cigar midweek (usually Wednesday night) and one on either Saturday or Sunday. Special occasions *may* merit another. More than that and I either have a similar reaction, or I find I just don't enjoy them anymore.

The last time I had this kind of reaction, I think posture (how I was sitting) had something to do with it, and as I recall I was having issues with the draw, such that I may have been drawing smoke back into my throat (or worse). Took two or three days for the phlegm to clear up...made me nervous.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The only side effects of smoking too much for me is a dent in my wallet or a high balance on my credit card
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Yes, various studies conducted lately are able to link debt with excessive cigar smoking.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Ummm, side effects, yeah..... light headedness and puke!!!
Made the mistake of smoking two bowls of tobacco and three cigars in succession. I turned green and tried desperately to yak, but oops, had not eaten yet either! Good times, good times.:ss

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I find that if smoke 2 or 3 days in a row, that I get to where the cigar, even a normally very good tasting one, just tastes... blah for a better way to put it. I try to spread it out every 2 or 3 days or so. I have also found that if I go 4 or 5 days without smoke the eventual smoke is that much better... maybe its just a mental thang too... DB :u :gn

1 - 20 of 30 Posts