Cigar Forums banner

1481 - 1489 of 1489 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,706 Posts
I tried to talk my dad into DE razors, when he was complaining about the price of cartridges. To quote him " why the hell would I use something that sucked when I used em in the 50s and is still the same POS 60 some years later. Like trading the flat screen for a black and white TV with rabbit ears" The language was a bit more "colorful" but you get the point.

It ain't for everybody.

It'd be like smoking nothin but isla del sols just cause you bought a box of em.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Double edge shaving may just not be for you.
Do not continue to punish yourself if it is not working.
I have only heard of a handful that did not get a close shave.
Or experienced some if not all of the issues you have described.
Of all the things you have described I think lubrication appears to stand out the most.
Very hot water is also not necessary and is also a problem for some.
I have heard of some that use cold water but I never have tried cold water.
Some swear by it as it closes the pores.
And makes the growth stand up.
Always best to go with the grain.
I would also try different soaps till you find one that affords you the protection you require.
Hope this helps rather than confuses.
All the best-Tony.
Thanks Tony. You have always been helpful and I obviously trust any guidance from you on this subject. I'm going to seek out the soap you've suggested, because even if I go back to cart., I still "wet shave"

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,483
Thanks Tony. You have always been helpful and I obviously trust any guidance from you on this subject. I'm going to seek out the soap you've suggested, because even if I go back to cart., I still "wet shave"
Always a pleasure my friend!
Wish I could be of more help.
I am just trying to eliminate what I believe are the obvious problems.

Reactions: bearinvt and Piper

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,484
I tried to talk my dad into DE razors, when he was complaining about the price of cartridges. To quote him " why the hell would I use something that sucked when I used em in the 50s and is still the same POS 60 some years later. Like trading the flat screen for a black and white TV with rabbit ears" The language was a bit more "colorful" but you get the point.

It ain't for everybody.

It'd be like smoking nothin but isla del sols just cause you bought a box of em.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
A lot of old timers feel that way.
They want modern things and such.
My Dad was the same way R.I.P.
What can I say I am just a Dinosaur.
A sucker for Vintage anything just about.
The only things I like fresh.
Are Cigars and women.(y):censored::ROFLMAO:

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,485
Here's one i just received won at auction last week.
NOS Ever-Ready.
And 3 waiting on knots!

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Erik @ebnash. Based on your excellently detailed description three things occur to me. First, and easiest, is to forgo the alum block. It's irritating. I never use an alum block. I use a styptic pencil for the odd nick. Second, and most important, is not to use too much water. It's hard to get a really lubricating lather if you have too much water in in the mix. This can occur if your face or your brush is too wet. Once your beard is softened after a shower, you don't need to wet it further. Just let it drip dry. (I think this is what you do.) You could even lightly pat your face with a towel so it's not dripping wet. Shake the excess water out of the brush and use the scuttle only to get soap into it. Once you get enough soap on your brush, you might try face lathering to see if you can get a richer more lubricating lather than with the scuttle. Until you get a feel for the right consistency, a scuttle or shaving mug can be almost too tight a space in which to whip up the soap. When face lathering, I whip the brush back and forth (not in a circle) under my chin until the lather gets thick and almost buttery, closer to a stiff whipped cream than an airy foam. You'll know when you get there. Once the foam is rich and glossy, paint the thickened lather on the rest of your face. Thirdly, make sure you're using no pressure and a gentle blade angle. If you don't have the water running too loudly, you'll be able to hear and sense the blade effortlessly cutting the beard and gliding over the skin. Err on the side of too little pressure. Don't shave over the same area more than once with each pass. Better to get an inadequate shave at the beginning than too close a shave that scrapes your skin. Maybe take only one pass to begin with then call it quits. When you get the hang of it, you'll be able to do a second pass without incident. Like you, I feel for remaining stubble after I've finished, then go back and gently "buff" it.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
@Piper Thanks for the additional and thoughtful input. The lathering consistency has always been a little bit of a mystery and since it wasn't as critical in the past, I didn't pay too much attention. I will also make the adjustment to less water in the mix. I can confirm that my lather tends to be a little on the airy side and it was intuitive to me, to keep adding more water when things seemed less than slick.

Interestingly enough, I did just watch a video on you tube from a straight razor shaver who said he personally gets the best results with cream just rubbed directly on the face with no lathering. This would confirm that it's worth experimenting on different cream application approaches until I find what works best for me.

Again, I do appreciate everyone's experience and input.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Had another DE shave today and a much better result, thanks to the recent feedback.

Per @Piper I reduced the amount of water in my lather and eliminated the hot water on the face right before lathering in order to get a richer lather. I also found that even though I see lather in 20 seconds, it does not mean it’s ready. I recently watched a video and the gentlemen on there was showing the consistency of the lather when it’s ready, specifically showing “peaks” on the brush tips. Kind of like a peaks on a meringue. I also spent more time driving the lather into my beard.

Also, per @Piper I shallowed the angle of the razor. I had been dragging too steep, most likely because I’m used the the angle of using a cartridge.

Per @Hickorynut I skipped the Alum and used some Thayers Witch Hazel skin toner (coconut water scent) as an aftershave. No burn and no irritation this time around. I like the smell of that coconut witch Hazel so much, I just ordered an after balm from Stirling Soaps that is Coconut Lime.

Any way, just a thanks to all of you who commented and gave me different ideas to try. No irritation and a much closer shave than previous attempts with the DE. This will keep me around a little longer to stick with it and see if it’s for me or not.

I also found another You Tube shaver that explains things in a way that I seem to relate to, so its good to have another resource.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,489
@
ebnash
Glad you are finding the groove!
I thought about this while shaving.
This morning I had more growth than usual.
Try rotating the brush on your face.
Against the growth.
So as the lather penetrants
Rather than sits on top of the growth.
Stay the course your doing fine young man.
Peace!.

Reactions: Piper
1481 - 1489 of 1489 Posts