Cigar Forums banner

1441 - 1460 of 1489 Posts

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,441
Both beautiful brushes in superb condtion (now!) I get the feeling the Klenzo is the Cadillac and the other one is the Olds.
You hit the nail on the head! I attempted a restoration on it today. It did not survive the process. Too old and brittle i guess. But i think it is more inline with your thought. It is a cheaper version of the Klenzo made with sub par materials. After all the Klenzo is older and made it just fine.:vs_cool:

Reactions: huffer33 and Piper

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,442
Very pleased with how this Ever-Ready came out.
I guess i am batting .500 on the day.
:vs_laugh:

Attachments

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,443
Todays restoration all patients survived! :vs_laugh:
They look similar to the untrained eye they appear identical.
You will notice the one to the left is slightly taller.
The one to the right has an insignia under the name Ever-Ready.
This indicates it was originally a Badger brush.
The one to left was originally a Horse Hair brush.
Restoration Knots installed respectively.

Attachments

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,444
The Badger!:vs_cool:

Attachments

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,445
1st restoration of the day.
A 1950's ERSKINE.

There were 14 companies in the US making shaving brushes as of May 1, 1950.

1. American Safety Razor Co., Brooklyn, N. Y. AKA EVER-READY
2. Ascher Stern Co., New York, N.Y.
3. Baja Brush Manufacturing Co., New York, N. Y.
4. Cass Brush Co., New York, N. Y.
5. Duro Bilt Brush Manufacturing Co., Bronx. N. Y.
6. Royal Brush Co., New York, N. Y.
7. Rubberset Co., Newark, N. J.
8. Hardright Brush Co., Belleville, N. J.
9. James Lowe Erskine, Brooklyn, N. Y.
10. Made Rite Brush Manufacturing Co., Bronx, N. Y.
11. Pal Shaving Brush, Inc., New York, N. Y.
12. Peerless Brush Manufacturing Co., Burlington, Vt.
13. S. H. Schoenberg Co., New York. N. Y.
14. Wontshed Brush Co., Troy, N. Y. :vs_cool:

Attachments

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,446
Restorations number two and three on the day.
A vintage 1940's Stag and Erskine .
:vs_cool:

Attachments

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,447
My buddy just sent me this picture of his fathers dresser.
He is sending me the ERSKINE for inspection and restoration.
The mans a class act two straights and a picture of JESUS!:vs_cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Just did my 1st DE shave, thanks to some guidance from Tony, who directed me to go watch a bunch of You Tube shave videos. There are a ton of guys with wet shave channels, but my favorite has go to be GeoFatBoy, followed closely by KenSurfs. So much good information out there.

I ended up starting with an Edwin Jagger DE89 variant razor and since it came with a Feather Blade,I left it in for the 1st shave. I also bought a lathering bowl (Scuttle Mug), Proraso White Cream, and an Alum Block along with a couple 5 packs of blades. I’ve been wet shaving with a cartridge razor my entire shaving life so I already had brushes, aftershave Balm and several soaps and creams, although I typically use Williams Shave Soap pucks.

I ended up just starting with 2 passes, and it went well, but being the 1st time, it was not a comparable result to my cartridge shave with 2 passes. I didn’t expect it to be life changing as so many claim, and it wasn’t. I’ll give it a fair shake until I run out of blades and make a decision of which road I will take. I know many claim it is super cheap in comparison and you get a way better shave, but that will be proven or disproven over time. I only shave once a week or so because I’m lazy and I don’t need to be particularly groomed in my job. I’m an engineer and never customer facing, so I just hide at my desk or in the clean room. I only sought out DE shaving because; 1. The cartridge razors clog up with hair so quickly (probably going to be the same case since my beard gets fairly long in between shaves) and 2. Supposedly, I’ll have less face irritation.

This 1st shave, I still clogged the razor after a couple short swipes and I have more irritation than normal. The only thing post shave I did different this time, was add the Alum Block step to close my pores and it burned pretty good with that stuff. I also have a rougher face than after my cartridge shaves, but I usually go against the grain on my second pass with the cartridge, vs across like the YT folks suggest. I’m glad I didn’t do a 3rd pass because I think it would have only increased irritation.

I think it’s a bit laughable when I hear folks say this form of shaving is cheaper, because even though DE Blades are cheaper, people end up buying all kinds of collateral products. Preshave, face scrub, Alum, aftershaves, balms, multiple razors, brushes, and the list goes on. I’d like to find my setup and just stick with it. Last thing I need is another hobby to spend $1000’s per year on.

So, I’ll check back in here in a while and give an update on how it’s going...

·
H.R. Pufnstuf
6,321 Posts
1st restoration of the day.

A 1950's ERSKINE.

There were 14 companies in the US making shaving brushes as of May 1, 1950.

1. American Safety Razor Co., Brooklyn, N. Y. AKA EVER-READY

2. Ascher Stern Co., New York, N.Y.

3. Baja Brush Manufacturing Co., New York, N. Y.

4. Cass Brush Co., New York, N. Y.

5. Duro Bilt Brush Manufacturing Co., Bronx. N. Y.

6. Royal Brush Co., New York, N. Y.

7. Rubberset Co., Newark, N. J.

8. Hardright Brush Co., Belleville, N. J.

9. James Lowe Erskine, Brooklyn, N. Y.

10. Made Rite Brush Manufacturing Co., Bronx, N. Y.

11. Pal Shaving Brush, Inc., New York, N. Y.

12. Peerless Brush Manufacturing Co., Burlington, Vt.

13. S. H. Schoenberg Co., New York. N. Y.

14. Wontshed Brush Co., Troy, N. Y. :vs_cool:
All NY or NJ but one....no central or west coast....that is interesting...nice resto!!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just did my 1st DE shave, thanks to some guidance from Tony, who directed me to go watch a bunch of You Tube shave videos. There are a ton of guys with wet shave channels, but my favorite has go to be GeoFatBoy, followed closely by KenSurfs. So much good information out there.

I ended up starting with an Edwin Jagger DE89 variant razor and since it came with a Feather Blade,I left it in for the 1st shave. I also bought a lathering bowl (Scuttle Mug), Proraso White Cream, and an Alum Block along with a couple 5 packs of blades. I've been wet shaving with a cartridge razor my entire shaving life so I already had brushes, aftershave Balm and several soaps and creams, although I typically use Williams Shave Soap pucks.

I ended up just starting with 2 passes, and it went well, but being the 1st time, it was not a comparable result to my cartridge shave with 2 passes. I didn't expect it to be life changing as so many claim, and it wasn't. I'll give it a fair shake until I run out of blades and make a decision of which road I will take. I know many claim it is super cheap in comparison and you get a way better shave, but that will be proven or disproven over time. I only shave once a week or so because I'm lazy and I don't need to be particularly groomed in my job. I'm an engineer and never customer facing, so I just hide at my desk or in the clean room. I only sought out DE shaving because; 1. The cartridge razors clog up with hair so quickly (probably going to be the same case since my beard gets fairly long in between shaves) and 2. Supposedly, I'll have less face irritation.

This 1st shave, I still clogged the razor after a couple short swipes and I have more irritation than normal. The only thing post shave I did different this time, was add the Alum Block step to close my pores and it burned pretty good with that stuff. I also have a rougher face than after my cartridge shaves, but I usually go against the grain on my second pass with the cartridge, vs across like the YT folks suggest. I'm glad I didn't do a 3rd pass because I think it would have only increased irritation.

I think it's a bit laughable when I hear folks say this form of shaving is cheaper, because even though DE Blades are cheaper, people end up buying all kinds of collateral products. Preshave, face scrub, Alum, aftershaves, balms, multiple razors, brushes, and the list goes on. I'd like to find my setup and just stick with it. Last thing I need is another hobby to spend $1000's per year on.

So, I'll check back in here in a while and give an update on how it's going...
I know what you mean about how much money you can spend. I have a nice collection, I'm not buying anymore. With that being said, it is NOW cheaper. I found what I like. I use an old Schick injector. Blades last a long time and is more forgiving for me. Mostly when shaving for work, I just use Barbasol, works good and is cheap and fast. I only do one pass when shaving for work. It's close enough. Aftershave? I like the old tried and true stand-buy's. AquaVelva, Old Spice, Skin Bracer, Clubman...etc. All of those also cheap. I too have to work in a cleanroom and wear a mask, so when I don't shave, my stubble makes the mask fuzzy and it tickles my face. Personally, I don't like feather blades. Too aggressive. Personna blades are about the best middle of the road blade you can get, just my opinion. Don't need any preshave, face scrub, or balms. Alum blocks last forever, or mostly. And I like the alcohol burn in aftershave. If you shaved a little more often, you probably wouldn't have as much skin irritation. Don't give up, give it some time. Takes awhile to become proficient with a DE. If you need blades, or even another razor, PM me and I'll hook you up.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
@CrustyCat Thanks for the response and advice. I certainly don't plan on giving up after only 1 shave. I've heard that Feather blades are aggressive, but I guess I don't understand what that means? Two passes still left noticeable scruff, so maybe it's just technique I need to work on. I did buy some Astra blades to try and I've also read that many people like the personna blades for mild shaves.

Definitely going to keep at it before I give up since I spent $100 on new gear. Would be a waste, otherwise. I've been using aftershave balm for years by Nivea. The only time I've had proper aftershave, was when my childhood barber would use a shavette to do my side burns and line around my neck and ears. Never burned because he was a freakin pro. An old German guy would was trained as a barber in the US Army when he immigrated here.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,452
Today i had the privilege of restoring a unicorn.
I have heard of these smaller proto type Klenzo's.
But never had seen one till recently.
I got this one about a month ago and finally restored it.
I had to make it up as i went along even the knot was custom made.
Basically I reduced it in size and girth to accommodate its new dwelling.
The whole brush was hollowed out and filled with marine grade epoxy.
All stress cracks repaired it is right around 100 years old.
Side by side with its older brother.
The pictures really don't do these two fella's justice.
Thanks for stopping in please always feel free best regards Tony.:vs_cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Today i had the privilege of restoring a unicorn.
I have heard of these smaller proto type Klenzo's.
But never had seen one till recently.
I got this one about a month ago and finally restored it.
I had to make it up as i went along even the knot was custom made.
Basically I reduced it in size and girth to accommodate its new dwelling.
The whole brush was hollowed out and filled with marine grade epoxy.
All stress cracks repaired it is right around 100 years old.
Side by side with its older brother.
The pictures really don't do these two fella's justice.
Thanks for stopping in please always feel free best regards Tony.:vs_cool:
Awesome! How do you go about fixing the cracks if you don't mind my asking?

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,455
Awesome! How do you go about fixing the cracks if you don't mind my asking?
More than happy glad you are interested.
The plastic being repaired is Nitrocellulose in base.
Commonly referred to as Celluloid plastic.
It is formed by mixing cellulose fiber and camphor.
It is the earliest form of plastic made in the late 1800's.
Old film was made in this manner.
Very durable and very flammable.
Many old films improperly stored went on fire.
Very easy to make by mixing the two and adding color to match.
Much like using Bondo on autobody repairs.
I prefer to make it there are autobody type fillers available.
The color is a matter of trail and error.
Many colors in powder form are added to the mixture.
Work time is short as it sets rather quickly.
No smoking while mixing.:vs_laugh:

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
@CrustyCat Thanks for the response and advice. I certainly don't plan on giving up after only 1 shave. I've heard that Feather blades are aggressive, but I guess I don't understand what that means? Two passes still left noticeable scruff, so maybe it's just technique I need to work on. I did buy some Astra blades to try and I've also read that many people like the personna blades for mild shaves.

Definitely going to keep at it before I give up since I spent $100 on new gear. Would be a waste, otherwise. I've been using aftershave balm for years by Nivea. The only time I've had proper aftershave, was when my childhood barber would use a shavette to do my side burns and line around my neck and ears. Never burned because he was a freakin pro. An old German guy would was trained as a barber in the US Army when he immigrated here.
Erik, I've been "wet shaving" for many years. I have 4 Plisson badger brushes, a handful of shaving soaps and creams, assorted shaving bowls but only one DE razor, a Feather stainless. Feather blades are a bit keener than Astras but they don't do any more damage once you have your technique down.

I might be an outlier but, in my experience, DE shaving is not as close or smooth as shaving with a cartridge and gel from a can. (I use a Gillette Fusion cartridge with three blades and Edge gel). But it is more fun! With the Feather razor, I only do 2 passes but go against the grain under my chin. With a Fusion, I only need one pass and I can shave with it in the shower by feel, without a mirror. I enjoy DE shaving on weekends or when I have a lot of time in the morning. It's nice to shave the old-fashioned way. I agree with you about the initial expense but, as @CrustyCat says, the costs are up front with DE shaving.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I've also been reading a lot on Reddit and You Tube comments that some people just simply don't tolerate Alum. They seem to have a reaction to it, for some reason. I will use the Alum Block again on my next shave using the Astra Blade and it I have the irritation again, my following shave will be without Alum so I'm only changing one parameter at a time.

Thanks for the feedback, @Piper

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Erik, I've been "wet shaving" for many years. I have 4 Plisson badger brushes, a handful of shaving soaps and creams, assorted shaving bowls but only one DE razor, a Feather stainless. Feather blades are a bit keener than Astras but they don't do any more damage once you have your technique down.

I might be an outlier but, in my experience, DE shaving is not as close or smooth as shaving with a cartridge and gel from a can. (I use a Gillette Fusion cartridge with three blades and Edge gel). But it is more fun! With the Feather razor, I only do 2 passes but go against the grain under my chin. With a Fusion, I only need one pass and I can shave with it in the shower by feel, without a mirror. I enjoy DE shaving on weekends or when I have a lot of time in the morning. It's nice to shave the old-fashioned way. I agree with you about the initial expense but, as @CrustyCat says, the costs are up front with DE shaving.
I am in Beauty supply and carry Jatai feather razors. They are great high quality Japanese steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,459
I've also been reading a lot on Reddit and You Tube comments that some people just simply don't tolerate Alum. They seem to have a reaction to it, for some reason. I will use the Alum Block again on my next shave using the Astra Blade and it I have the irritation again, my following shave will be without Alum so I'm only changing one parameter at a time.

Thanks for the feedback, @Piper
Alum should only be used after shaving and never before.
And only after rinsing you face with cold water.
As i read your posts i realize the razor you have purchased is of the closed comb variety.
This might be part of the problem.
There are many open comb variety replacement heads.
They are relatively cheap as compared to the cost of a new razor.
This would allow you the ability to experience all variables.
And make a better decision.
Also always try to shave after a nice warm shower.
Or stick a damp towel in the micro wave.
When it starts to steam it is ready.
Put that on your face.
You will get a shave as good as a barber would give.
Also soap is very important.
These days i only use Cella.
Best way to buy it is the 2.2 lb. block.
When on sale it costs around $40-$45
But it will last you for years.
I am sorry guys but IMHO shave gels do not work.
Also alternating between old methods and the one you are trying to perfect.
Will hinder rather than help. First off you will go back to old habits of shaving.
Also you facial hair will grow according to the way you are shaving
Stay the course you shall be rewarded.
I am always here to try and help and give advice.
It takes years to become proficient at it.
You have to totally forget what you did before.:vs_cool:

Reactions: Piper and huffer33

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,460
I am in Beauty supply and carry Jatai feather razors. They are great high quality Japanese steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very sharp high quality blades for sure.
Thanks for getting involved Dan the Man!
:vs_cool:

Reactions: Piper and huffer33
1441 - 1460 of 1489 Posts