Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been thinking about switching over to a strait razor, or at least a single bladed razor. Replacement cartridges for my Gillette Fusion are expensive, no difference in shave quality over the Mach 3, and I like the look and feel of the older style razors. I'm going to get a Merkur single blade razor first, and eventually get a DOVO strait razor when I've got more time for the whole ritual of shaving in the morning.

Now I'm curious, what's everyone else's opinion and what do you guys use?

· Registered
622 Posts
Better get a good shaving soap and a badger brush too. Use those but with the Mach 3. You'll be better off.

· Registered
1,167 Posts
lol funny guy.:ss

I don't think using an ulu would be that great... but it is a single blade!

I do have to say, when I am home for the summer I do love going to a barber and getting shaved with a straight razor... I just don't think I would have the balls to shave myself with one. Hell I am sure I could cut myself with my Braun 360!!

· Registered
203 Posts
Here is my daily shaver

If you switch, you won't regret it. I love the ritual of a nice straight shave in the morning. Soak the badger brush, soften the beard, create the lather in a nice scuttle, strop the blade up to a keen edge (of course you also sharpen the blade on your honing stones). Once you get the hang of it, you will never get a better shave than with a straight edge.

If you want to check it out, go to www.straightrazorplace.com. Its a great forum dedicated to the art of the straight shave.

Oh, I also have a nice dovo round point, a Wade & Butcher, and two that I am attempting to restore.

Matt

· Registered
203 Posts
Also, get a good quality badger hair brush (not boar's hair), and some good quality shaving soap and cream. I use both Art of Shaving (because it was gifted to me and it has lasted a long time) and some shaving soap from Mama Bear. Mama Bear's is the bees knees when it comes to shaving soap.

· Registered
405 Posts
I shave my head and my face. That being said, a straight razor is downright dangerous for me to use.

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I notice I don't get as many nicks and cuts from the fusion, but I've been getting just as much razor burn. I'd love to grow out a beard and all, except being a cadet I don't have that option. And once I'm in the Marines, I really don't have that option. The morning ritual of shaving is something I've been doing since sixth grade (it's the Armenian blood) and when it turns out well it's something I really enjoy. Going to try a Merkur for now and find a badger bristle brush and decent soap, and later down the road when I've got a steady income and all I'm going to try a strait razor. That'd probably give me time to figure out how to properly strop and hone the blade so I don't wreck it within the first week, not to mention pool together the cash to get all the stuff for it.

· Registered
21,868 Posts
I used the mach 3 and now the fusion and both did a great job. But i'm a little wuss and can't shave every day because it just makes my face raw. I started using Nivea shaving cream (the sensitive skin kind) and it works beautifully. best shave ever :tu

mind you i'm only 19 and am not really considered a man yet.

· Registered
622 Posts
I'd love to grow out a beard and all, except being a cadet I don't have that option. And once I'm in the Marines, I really don't have that option.
There is life after the miltary. The first thing I did four years ago while on transition leave after 20+ years was grow a big bushy mustache. Still have it. When in Iraq I grow a beard to match and shave it off almost immediately after my wife gets me home when I redeploy.

This pic was taken not long after I retired.

· Registered
601 Posts
I tried a Dovo and have a nice strop, too. Didn't work for me. I think I need someone to show me the art of it all. I got knicks everywhere and it hurt badly. I use a Gillette Sensor. It gives me as good or better a result as the Fusion and it gets the details better, plus it's cheaper. Besides that I also use electric Razors. I prefer Panasonic. Nonetheless I just got a Philips/Norelco 1090X because it looked very nice, was very light (good for travel) and got great reviews. It is a bit better on the skin than the Panny but harder to clean and does simply not shave as well.

Till

· Sea-Monkey
102 Posts
Earlier this month I switched from shaving with a Mach 3 to a Merkur HD Classic DE razor. I always had terrible razor burn on my neck from cartridge razors. After about three shaves with the DE razor burn became a thing of the past. You basically have to relearn how to shave when you switch to a proper razor. Pain will motivate you to learn quickly.

The setup I have now is the standard beginners kit of HD Classic, Vulfix Best Badger brush, Proraso creme, a westcoastshaving blade sampler pack, and Nivea Sensitive after-shave balm. I use a heavy ceramic cereal bowl to whip up my lather and made a razor and brush stand out of a coat hanger.

With the results I'm having already with this gear I wish I'd have made the switch years ago. Do it, you won't regret it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.