Cigar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past few weeks I can't manage to keep my humidity above 60%. I have 70% beads and such and was wondering if re-seasoning my humidors would further promote good humidity. Would this be a good idea? Also, for storage would a few big zip locks and some water pillows be good during the time of re-seasoning... thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As long as the condition of your cigars are fine, I see no reason to worry. If it does bother you though, how many sticks do you have compared to the size of your humidor? You might need some extra stogies in there to help bring it up a bit.

·
Registered
274 Posts
what size box? how many cigars are you keeping in it?
can you open it up and post a pic? show the humidifier too.
when was the last time you seasoned it ... and with which strength solution?

... what I'm interested in is the lip and closure for how well it seals
does it pull a vacuum when you open it up or does it have a raised lip around to help retain humidity?

If you want it around 65-70%, where you store it could also be a factor... no sunlight, cool place desired,

recommendations... one drymistat for every 25 cigars the box holds... otherwise, if you're another type of humidifier... size does matter.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are both 20 counts packed full. I do have beads and the last time they were seasoned was about 4-5 months ago. The smokes just feel a little dry almost like the are about to crack in half sometimes.

I might have to get out the tupperware and go from there.

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
893 Posts
i have 70% beads in my humi also.... but the hygro says its at 68%....its prob just off by 2% since its an analog and i havent sacked up and bought a digital one yet... lol

thats odd that you are having issues like that

·
The slope is steep
3,975 Posts
i have 70% beads in my humi also.... but the hygro says its at 68%....its prob just off by 2% since its an analog and i havent sacked up and bought a digital one yet... lol

thats odd that you are having issues like that
Your problem may just have been solved.

Do yourself a favor and get a digital. You don't have to buy a fancy one. I got mine from Walmart for less than $10. It's money well spent. Make sure you do the salt test. The analogs look fancy but they work worth $hit.

Once you do the salt test I bet the humidity will be just fine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ryan, where do you have them located at? I know that if I put mine on my desk the humidity gets all out of wack. But if keep them on the selves next to my bed they stay out of the sunlight for the most part.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I use about two to four times the amount of beads that the bead-selling Web sites recommend. I did that on my 30 ct. The supposed 50 ct. puck did not seem to keep up, so I bought an additional tube full of beads.

I also have lots of extra beads in my 150 ct.

Another piece of information: I don't know if you have some ziplock bags with the foil layer? I heard those are good for about 10 days.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looks like you've had some good advice... my 2 cents is to re-season, ensure you've got a good reading (the salt test will tell you that)... and if needed add a little extra on the humidity beads (I prefer the drymistat tubes) - had mine for over 5 years now and still going strong - although it turned yellow when I stopped using distilled water and went to tap water - kind of like my skin did... where's my hair... oh well I'll just smoke another.

·
The slope is steep
3,975 Posts
(I prefer the drymistat tubes) - had mine for over 5 years now and still going strong - although it turned yellow when I stopped using distilled water and went to tap water - kind of like my skin did... where's my hair... oh well I'll just smoke another.
Isn't that a good sign that you're aging well? :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts