Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Misplaced
6,385 Posts
nah....I just put old/new spanish cedar boxes in mine and that suffices. Try doing some searches on the topic. :tu

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hi,
I would like to set up a coolidor (cool box) to age my cigars in. Do I have to line the inside of the cool box with Spanish cedar?
You really don't have to. However, you will want to keep your cigars in their original boxes. For loose sticks, put them in cigar boxes as well. This will help will RH fluctuations when you open your coolers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The great part about a cooler is that it seals so well so you don't have to worry as much about humidity.

If the cooler is new, you might want to air it out to remove the new plastic smell. But, as the guys have said, the cedar from the boxes should be more than sufficient. If you use beads, and the cooler is kept away from temp and humidity extremes, you probably only need to check it every 6 weeks or so.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The great part about a cooler is that it seals so well so you don't have to worry as much about humidity.

If the cooler is new, you might want to air it out to remove the new plastic smell. But, as the guys have said, the cedar from the boxes should be more than sufficient. If you use beads, and the cooler is kept away from temp and humidity extremes, you probably only need to check it every 6 weeks or so.

Good luck!
:tpd: If you have a bunch of loose cigars, either reuse some old cigar boxes (you can get them for a couple bucks at your B&M, or maybe even for free if you're a regular), or get some spanish cedar trays. I picked up some trays at bargainhumidors.com for $10 each.

Definitely wash it out and let it air out -- if you use something like baking soda mixed with water, it will help to get the smell out. You probably want to air it out for at least 4 days, maybe a bit longer.

·
Marlboro Cigars Alter EGO
11,013 Posts
Hi,
I would like to set up a coolidor (cool box) to age my cigars in. Do I have to line the inside of the cool box with Spanish cedar?
I think it's a matter of preference.

It is not necessary for your cigars,
but some of us can't get enough of that strong cedar smell when we grab a cigar.
:tu

Personally, I think aging cigars in cedar really adds to the cigar's flavors.
:2

·
-FIMBULVETR-
1,614 Posts
:tpd: If you have a bunch of loose cigars, either reuse some old cigar boxes (you can get them for a couple bucks at your B&M, or maybe even for free if you're a regular), or get some spanish cedar trays. I picked up some trays at bargainhumidors.com for $10 each.

Definitely wash it out and let it air out -- if you use something like baking soda mixed with water, it will help to get the smell out. You probably want to air it out for at least 4 days, maybe a bit longer.
was lurking in this thread, and saw the cedar trays from barginhumi.com

thanks a ton just ordered a few!:ss

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
My advice to add to the other great advice you have already gotten is go big. I started out with an empty 120 QT that is almost filled after 3 months. From the one on the left to the current look on the right.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.