Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Before I went on this trip over to the middle east I used to use a pod machine as well. Once I got over here I picked up a french press because it is easier for me to throw the press in my backpack on my way to work. We have an electric water boiler at the office so they make for a perfect match. The first time I tried some of Jerry's coffee I "saw the light" and will not be going back to pod coffee when I get back home. Who would have thought it would have taken a trip to the middle east for me to find great coffee.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I went on this trip over to the middle east I used to use a pod machine as well. Once I got over here I picked up a french press because it is easier for me to throw the press in my backpack on my way to work. We have an electric water boiler at the office so they make for a perfect match. The first time I tried some of Jerry's coffee I "saw the light" and will not be going back to pod coffee when I get back home. Who would have thought it would have taken a trip to the middle east for me to find great coffee.
More details please? Jerrys coffee, Press that fits in your backpack?

·
Registered
353 Posts
The coffe I am talking about is Killer Beans. Jerry was kind enough to send a huge sampler to me and my fellow solders here in Kuwait. The press is just a Bodum French press. They come in different sizes. The one I have makes enough coffee for 2 mugs worth. All you need with a press is a way to heat up water and you will get better coffee than any pod than you will ever find. I have 2 presses here with me. 1 for coffee and another one for tea. I swear by the things now.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since my wife doesnt drink coffee everyday, the pod maker works out perfect for me. One cup at a time is all I need to make. There are many different choices of pod coffees to choose from, recently I found that Senseo makes pretty good coffee. Only if Starbucks would offer their coffee in pods.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think the Senseo is fine... it doesn'tbrew the best coffee I've ever had, but it does a decent job... my biggest grip is that the Senseo brand pods are ho hum... I don't buy them anymore... I use a refillable Ecopad... they come two in a package and they take up a two pod tray to make a one pod volume, but I have two of the ecopads filled with my favorite ground beans and they make a decent cup of coffee... I've also tried the "gourmet" pods from some of the small guys... they've been faily good. but kinda pricey...

singleservecoffee.com has a fair amount of info and reviews on a variety of pods.

I also have a Melitta one:eek:ne, and honestly, I think it does a slightly better job of making coffee than the Senseo, but the Senseo's market domination probably had a lot to do to force the Melitta out... haven't seen them anywhere anymore. luckily there are a few pods out there that fit it... like Target's individually packed Archer Farms coffee pods.

in general, if you only want a little bit of coffee, these guys are pretty good... especially if you steer away from those somewhat weak Senseo brand pods.

if you need more than a cup... they are a lot more work, more expense, and less yummy than just drip brewing a good pot of coffee.

and I am not a fan of Charbucks.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a refillable Ecopad... they come two in a package and they take up a two pod tray to make a one pod volume, but I have two of the ecopads filled with my favorite ground beans and they make a decent cup of coffee... singleservecoffee.com has a fair amount of info and reviews on a variety of pods.
Refillable pods? I will definetly have to check those out! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I too only brew enough coffee for myself which os normally 1 mug. That is why I used to use the pod machines too. The press I have makes 2 mugs worth of coffee. The only advantage to the pod machines over a press is the amount of time it takes to use a press. A pod will brew a mugh of coffee in just a couple minutes. A press takes maybe 10 minutes from the start of heating the water to pouring the coffee. I guess this is probably one of the big reasons why the pod machines doesnt make as good a cup too though.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think I've mentioned that I'm not a big fan of the Senseo brand pods...

which I think is a huge factor regarding why quite a few people find the Senseo brew to be ho hum.

I've tried to encourage people I know with Senseos to try other beans with either home made paper coffee filter pods or the EcoPad reusable pod system.

it really can make a world of difference.

well, although I've always known that grind can be very important in how your brew comes out, I've been struggling with a cheapy Krups blade type grinder for quite a while... but after getting some burr ground coffee from Demented, I recently decided to get a conical burr grinder and see what other magical benefits I can see from the upgrade... and it's an amazing difference! for me it was like night and day. It's a Capresso Infinity Model #565... not the bestestest burr grinder around, but pretty nice.

my single cup brewing setup... those are EcoPads at bottom of pic

well, the consistency of grind made quite a difference in my refillable EcoPad pods... for the roast I was using today, I played around with the grinds and settled on the finest of the medium grinds... and it was great! I'm tempted to just toss the blade grinder... I don't think I can ever go back.

Anyways... with the EcoPads, the grind seems to vary how fast flavor is extracted during the short Senseo brew cycle... a good thing.

what's sorta neat about the Senseo is that the brewing is done under a bit of pressure... like espresso. but I'm guessing with a little less pressure, a little more water, and probably less heat. I like how it turns out... IMO very much like a strong Americano... which I like.

suggestions for Senseo users... always fill the reservoir to the top and run the clean cycle before and after you brew a cup... besides getting clean water ready for a brew, it also starts heating up the reservoir, so that the water in the brew cycle is a little bit hotter... running a clean cycle after a brew gets water out of the system so that there isn't any "old" water in your next cup. it's a little more work, and a little bit of a waste of water, but I can't emphasize enough, the importance of fresh water when making coffee.

have fun guys! I hope I don't start roasting my own beans... I keep telling myself, that I don't have the time... and with fresh daily roasted beans available nearby, I should be happy for a while... although, I have to admit, the idea of roasting at home is quite intriguing.

oh, I forgot to mention that the Ecopads fit in the two volume pod tray but really only brews one... so unless you like your coffee on the weak side you need to used two Ecopods of ground coffee, and two separate cycles with the one pod volume, for an average size mug of coffee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.