Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several show up today for 99.00 plus 49.00 shipping if anyone is still looking.

Search for:

Avanti Scratch
Or
Edgestar Scratch

And they will show up.

I"m still waiting on mine but I can say Compactappliance was a little slow shipping but it should arrive tomorrow via FedEx ground. Oh and anythingelse ships from compactappliance.com.
I took my chances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
Bye Bye Beetle worrries hello climate controlled seegars. After seeing all the post of beetle issues I am so glad I put one of these together. Anyone who pulls the trigger on one of these things and needs some help or has questions can feel free to PM me. I went with the Avanti but there are a couple of BOTL's that have the Edgestar so you are safe with either. :w
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
scrapiron said:
Several show up today for 99.00 plus 49.00 shipping if anyone is still looking.

Search for:

Avanti Scratch
Or
Edgestar Scratch

And they will show up.

I"m still waiting on mine but I can say Compactappliance was a little slow shipping but it should arrive tomorrow via FedEx ground. Oh and anythingelse ships from compactappliance.com.
I took my chances.
As far as getting the darn thing shipped I thought compactappliance got my cooler out the door pretty fast (under 48hrs) and my "scratch or dented" Edgestar is now spending time with Fed X on it's journey North. For years I've been a regular buyer from many different company's of returned and refurbished items and to date I have yet to have a problem. Hope my luck continues with this purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took 10 days to get mine. I thought it was longer...
Inside is perfect. A little sticky in a couple places on the wooden shelves from where someone had taped them. Door had been replaced it said and it was fine. Some scuffs on the outside especially the right side. Biggest dents are on the back. It is fairly bent up and the filter is missing.
I'm still pretty happy with it for the price.
Got it plugged in Saturday and put in the 2lbs of 65% beads and 1 oust fan. Also put in about 6 bottles of water as ballast and two empty cigar boxes. So far it is running about 63-64 degrees and 68%. RH went way down to about 50% when I first added the water as I think it had to run harder to cool them down. Seems stable at 63 Degrees and 68% right now so I think a controller is in my future before I add any stock!

Sorry Moon,:mad: Didn't get to fit the cedar boards yet. I'll have to trim off a little but they are very close to perfect. I'm thinking of taking them to my saw and trim off about 1/8 inch with the diamond blade.
 

·
Skeeter owes me money
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
I would recommend you load this unit up with boxes before spending money on a controller. I have the Edgestar, and when empty the temp was around 60 degrees at the highest setting. I have around 12-15 boxes in it and it keeps a pretty steady 67-68 degrees now, without a controller. If you keep the door open long enough to raise the temp to 70 or higher, the humidity will drop as it cools down. It recovers fairly quickly, a few hours, and holds steady with 2# of 65% beads. I also have 2 shelves I built from spanish cedar, not sure that the cedar helps that much but I wanted flat shelves instead of the wine racks.
I know at least one other member here running the Avanti cooler, and he gets the same results.
Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Well my cooler is here....almost. On the Fed-X truck and out for "local delivery". I'm like a kid at Christmas.....hurry-hurry!! Should I leave out a glass of milk and a few cookies?

Now I have a whole new project that's a heck of a lot more fun than painting the house. Figure I can fool the wife and take a few days off my Summer projects setting up the cooler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Got the Edgestar delivered. Like usual I didn't think BIG enough!! The 18 bottle unit measues out on the inside @ 21Hx12Dx11W...I guess if my math is correct that's 1.6 cubic feet. To darn small!!:mad:

May pass it to on to my sister who is a wine lover & hunt for a bigger one. Can anyone pass on the inside dimensions of the 28 bottle model?

BTW it arrived in pretty darn good shape for a scratch/dent model (double boxed) with only a slight crunch on the back corner of the cooler. Well packaged and all the instructions and stuff were included.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
scrapiron said:
I'll be happy to get you the 28 measurements on Thursday eve or Friday Morning. Out of town currently.
Hey scrapiron, I'm still comparison shopping. So, if you're back, what're the interior measurements of the 28? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interior Measurements:
14" Wide
23.5" High
12.75 Deep

The fan in the center protrudes out a little so you lose a little space there. The shelves are a little wider to slip into grooves at 14.5 but they don't go all the way from the front to the back leaving a little gap and the shelves are 11.5 deep. I have the model with the wood shelves.

Let me know if you need more precise measurements... by the way, mine is running 62.5 to 64 degrees at the warmest setting and the RH stays between 61 and 63 with two pounds of 65% beads and one oust fan. I have 6 bottles of water and one bottle of wine in there as well as 3 full boxes of cigars and 2 empty boxes. I figured the dense water would balance any temperature swings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
scrapiron said:
Interior Measurements:
14" Wide
23.5" High
12.75 Deep

The fan in the center protrudes out a little so you lose a little space there. The shelves are a little wider to slip into grooves at 14.5 but they don't go all the way from the front to the back leaving a little gap and the shelves are 11.5 deep. I have the model with the wood shelves.

Let me know if you need more precise measurements... by the way, mine is running 62.5 to 64 degrees at the warmest setting and the RH stays between 61 and 63 with two pounds of 65% beads and one oust fan. I have 6 bottles of water and one bottle of wine in there as well as 3 full boxes of cigars and 2 empty boxes. I figured the dense water would balance any temperature swings.
Thanks for the measurements scrapiron. I find it frustrating that the interior dimensions of the coolers are never mentioned in their descriptions. :c I need to be able to put my desktop humi inside the cooler. It measures exactly 13 7/8" W x 4 13/16" H x 9 3/4" D. Is it not gonna happen? Looks like it would be awfully close. Would you mind giving it one more look scrapiron? If it won't fit, I'll have to either start looking at those short/squat models--they're a bit wider--or give up on this desktop that I bought just over three weeks ago. I'm still within the 30-day window in which I could return it to JR. You guys think I should return it? I assume you guys either don't use a desktop, or you have one small enough to stick in the cooler when the temperatures rise, yes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
scrapiron said:
Interior Measurements:
14" Wide
23.5" High
12.75 Deep

The fan in the center protrudes out a little so you lose a little space there. The shelves are a little wider to slip into grooves at 14.5 but they don't go all the way from the front to the back leaving a little gap and the shelves are 11.5 deep. I have the model with the wood shelves.

Let me know if you need more precise measurements... by the way, mine is running 62.5 to 64 degrees at the warmest setting and the RH stays between 61 and 63 with two pounds of 65% beads and one oust fan. I have 6 bottles of water and one bottle of wine in there as well as 3 full boxes of cigars and 2 empty boxes. I figured the dense water would balance any temperature swings.
Are these the measurements for the Avanti EWC28? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
scrapiron said:
...mine is running 62.5 to 64 degrees at the warmest setting and the RH stays between 61 and 63 with two pounds of 65% beads and one oust fan.
Well, I've made up my mind to ship back my desktop humi. It's all boxed up and I'll ship it back to JR first thing in the morning. My smokes are currently in a Tupperador waiting for me to make up my mind on the 18 or 28 bottle wine cooler. So, the interior dimensions are not as crucial as they used to be. I'm thinking the 18 because I live in a tiny NYC apartment. Space is already super limited. Anyone wanna try to convince me I need the 28 instead?

scrapiron, you say the RH in yours stays between 61 and 63 with two pounds of 65% beads and one Oust fan. What if you had two pounds of 70% beads? Wouldn't it follow that you'd be running more like, 66 - 68 RH? If the auto-defrost (or whatever) is constantly sucking up humidity, I think you might be better off with 70% beads (if the target is actually 65%). Agreed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
ColdCuts said:
Well, I've made up my mind to ship back my desktop humi. It's all boxed up and I'll ship it back to JR first thing in the morning. My smokes are currently in a Tupperador waiting for me to make up my mind on the 18 or 28 bottle wine cooler. So, the interior dimensions are not as crucial as they used to be. I'm thinking the 18 because I live in a tiny NYC apartment. Space is already super limited. Anyone wanna try to convince me I need the 28 instead?

scrapiron, you say the RH in yours stays between 61 and 63 with two pounds of 65% beads and one Oust fan. What if you had two pounds of 70% beads? Wouldn't it follow that you'd be running more like, 66 - 68 RH? If the auto-defrost (or whatever) is constantly sucking up humidity, I think you might be better off with 70% beads (if the target is actually 65%). Agreed?
Really think about the 28 bottle cooler unless you are really sure you plan to limit your collection of sticks.

My 18 bottle cooler is nearly dead on 65rh w/3/4lb's of Vipers beads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
papajohn67 said:
Really think about the 28 bottle cooler unless you are really sure you plan to limit your collection of sticks.

My 18 bottle cooler is nearly dead on 65rh w/3/4lb's of Vipers beads.
papajohn67, you said the interior measurements of your 18 bottle EdgeStar are:
21" H x 11" W x 12" D. That's 2772 cubic inches, or 1.6 cubic feet.

scrapiron said the interior measurements of his 28 bottle EdgeStar are:
23.5" H x 14" W x 12.75" D. That's 4194.75 cubic inches, or 2.43 cubic feet.

The difference, if my math is right, is 1422.75 cubic inches, or 0.82 cubic feet.

Now, honestly, I don't know how much this helps. I can't, for the life of me, picture 0.82 cubic feet, much less 1422.75 cubic inches! :al But, I guess that's a difference of nearly one cubic foot. How many boxes of cigars can you fit in one cubic foot? I guess that varies, I don't know, two? I'm just trying to figure out the numbers in terms of something I can wrap my mind around.

papajohn, how many boxes have you managed to get inside your 18 bottle EdgeStar? Oh, and when you said your 18 bottle cooler is, "nearly dead on 65rh w/3/4lb's of Vipers beads," what did you mean it's nearly dead? You mean, like, it's gonna crap out? Why? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
ColdCuts said:
papajohn67, you said the interior measurements of your 18 bottle EdgeStar are:
21" H x 11" W x 12" D. That's 2772 cubic inches, or 1.6 cubic feet.

scrapiron said the interior measurements of his 28 bottle EdgeStar are:
23.5" H x 14" W x 12.75" D. That's 4194.75 cubic inches, or 2.43 cubic feet.

The difference, if my math is right, is 1422.75 cubic inches, or 0.82 cubic feet.

Now, honestly, I don't know how much this helps. I can't, for the life of me, picture 0.82 cubic feet, much less 1422.75 cubic inches! :al But, I guess that's a difference of nearly one cubic foot. How many boxes of cigars can you fit in one cubic foot? I guess that varies, I don't know, two? I'm just trying to figure out the numbers in terms of something I can wrap my mind around.

papajohn, how many boxes have you managed to get inside your 18 bottle EdgeStar? Oh, and when you said your 18 bottle cooler is, "nearly dead on 65rh w/3/4lb's of Vipers beads," what did you mean it's nearly dead? You mean, like, it's gonna crap out? Why? :confused:
Said the 18 bottle is reading right about on "Dead on" 65 RH, or so says my 2 crummy Hygrometers.

I had posted a picture yesterday on the tread below titled "Avanti-Edgestar 28 thermoelectric wine cooler". You can check it out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
papajohn67 said:
...the 18 bottle is reading right about on "Dead on" 65 RH, or so says my 2 crummy Hygrometers.
OH! Now I get it! :r

So papajohn, I went and looked at the picture of your EdgeStar, and it looks big enough for my needs. I know you're a bit miffed about the size, but do you have any other complaints about it? Does it otherwise work well? How is it on holding steady temp? What about odor? Does it, or did it, have a funky plastic smell inside? If you click on this link: Smokes taste "Refrigerated"!!! you can read the troubling tale of a CS member who bought a Magic Chef, invested $300 in converting it, only to have his prized smokes wind up tasting like plastic. How do the cigars kept in your 18-bottle taste? Sorry to bombard you with questions papajohn, but I just sent my desktop humi back to JR this morning, so I want to get this project started ASAP. Oh, wait! One last question: In the photo, I can see that you've installed Spanish cedar shelves. They look great! Where did you get your cedar and how thick are those planks? TIA :D
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top