Cigar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd throw this out there to see what everyone thinks. It's kind of a funny, because this is actually a question my girlfriend posed the other night. I was talking about the SCDH El Principe and told her how I really wanted to try it, even though I'd had a bad experience with a La Punta earlier this year. She said 'If its from the same cigar maker isn't it going to be just as bad'? I tried to explain to her that within the same cigar family, you'll get different tastes with different cigar sizes. The more I thought about it, the more I wondered. (I'll stick with the SCDH example) If the tobacco smokes great in a cigar like the El Principe, why would it smoke poorly in the La Punta? Isn't all the tobacco for this line from the same general area in Cuba? I understand there are other factors, such as where the leaf originated (top or bottom of plant). I thought It was kind of an interesting thought. Any opinions?

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
Sickboy said:
Just thought I'd throw this out there to see what everyone thinks.

If the tobacco smokes great in a cigar like the El Principe, why would it smoke poorly in the La Punta? Isn't all the tobacco for this line from the same general area in Cuba? I understand there are other factors, such as where the leaf originated (top or bottom of plant). I thought It was kind of an interesting thought. Any opinions?
I know of two lines that have the strongest tobacco in the smallest size, maybe because a larger cigar with that much strong tobacco would be too much for most people or maybe the stronger ligero is more expensive. I would also think that the smaller sizes would age more quickly too, since the leaves in the center would have better access to air. Maybe the blends of leaf in the different sizes aren't the same in the San Cristobal line.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Sickboy said:
Just thought I'd throw this out there to see what everyone thinks. It's kind of a funny, because this is actually a question my girlfriend posed the other night. I was talking about the SCDH El Principe and told her how I really wanted to try it, even though I'd had a bad experience with a La Punta earlier this year. She said 'If its from the same cigar maker isn't it going to be just as bad'? I tried to explain to her that within the same cigar family, you'll get different tastes with different cigar sizes. The more I thought about it, the more I wondered. (I'll stick with the SCDH example) If the tobacco smokes great in a cigar like the El Principe, why would it smoke poorly in the La Punta? Isn't all the tobacco for this line from the same general area in Cuba? I understand there are other factors, such as where the leaf originated (top or bottom of plant). I thought It was kind of an interesting thought. Any opinions?
They should be, but usually arn't Why?

As a few of the locals explained it to me one day at the cigar store:

The larger ring cigars will require several leaves to form, smaller sizes can only use a few. Length and size adds air and diff rolling techniques. Differnet tabacco mixes of that ceratain brand may blend well at one certain ring and length, but not mix well at all at another.

So some blends smoke well as a churchill, but stink as a corona. Some may smoke great as a double corona but stink as a robusto etc.

Is this making sense to ya?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.