Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bring on the experts! I was reading through "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolution Habana Cigars" by Min Ron Nee, in the hope that he could solve a question I have had for awhile.

A couple years ago I bought a box of RyJ Piramides, and I never see or hear much about them. So I thumb to the RyJ section and sure enough, he's got it covered...sort of. In the book, he claims they are a fairly rare shape that you don't hear much about. Ok..I agree. He also goes on to state that there was some confusion about this cigar as many people thought they were released as a "Edicion Limitada", and this rumor/thought is entirely incorrect.

So what happens when I dig thorugh my humidor for my box of RyJ Piramides...I find two boxes of them...one is a Edicion Limitada, complete with all the markings, and one box isn't!

Any one have any thoughts on this?

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Hmm!

Good question!

I have a box of R&J Pyramides (LE), and a box of R&J Belicoso.
According to Min Ron Nee, there should also be R&J Pyramides that's non LE that came out around the same time. Would love to check those out.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a box of the Belicosos as well.

As I read his book, I took it as him saying there are NO LE RyJ Piramides...that's what has me thrown.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
yeah! I hear you.

But there are R&J Pyramides LE. Gave a couple to friends this past Tuesday, and have heard some great accolades.

Funny thing is that this cigar didn't get as much time in the spotlight as some of the other 2001 & 2002 LE's. Quirky, if you ask me.

MoTheMan

·
still puffin
1,001 Posts
paul
i think it was cigartexan that had a thread about these ... about a year or year and a half ago.had some pictures on his website.any chance of digging it up???might spread some light.

derrek :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Sorry, I can't shed any light on your dilema.
I just wanted to comment on the cigar for anyone reading this post who has not tried one.
The R&J Pyramide EL 2001 is amazing, delicious, wonderful, awesome, incredible and an absolute must smoke. I am staring at the double bands right now. Hey, I am a young ape and I get excited.
Thanks Mo.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like Min Ron Nee is wrong. Since many of us have a box of these...looks like they must exist!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here you go...

RyJ Piramide Eddicion Limitada 2001

I know this cigar is real, hell I smoked close to five boxes of them when they hit the shop I get them at. I know Paul got real ones as well. I will agree, it's the best EL out there that truely represents it's line.
There are many a story about this cigar and the regular claro wrapper RyJ Piramide. They are often confused with one another. Did you know last year there was a regular non-EL Colorado-claro wrapped Cohiba Piramide? I had a couple boxes, damm good cigar made for the Canadian market. Small realeases happen and Habanos gets a brain fart and pulls them. Plus Min Ron NEE's book was finished before this question had more resolve.
The best I can Guess (just my opinion!) is RyJ Piramide EL's were a victim of change. I feel they were taken out to make way for the Hoyo's, but who knows. RyJ has what? four other EL's in it's line, so this would not be a far fetched idea.

I have not bought any in a while and don't know if they can still be had. If you do find some and they're from early '02 they are well into a sick period. I'm sitting on the rest of mine for another 5 years at least.:cool:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
so are these regular belis with el wrappers? if so, send me one and i'll settle this question about how much the wrapper contributes once and for all .... well, on 2nd thought, just send me one. thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have seen & smoked the LE ones also!!! When I first saw them I was sure they were FAKE!!! But the more I ck'ed into them I found out that Habanos S.A. did make them in a very Limted # & sent them out to test the waters and got back bad feedback:rolleyes: When the cigar is young it did not taste that good :pu But after some time they did inprove alot;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
They did in fact exist, for a period of time. Originally Habanos was going to release these as their RyL LE for 2001 but decided against it since all of the LEs were supposed to be in sizes that were not produced in the original line. They decided to release the RyJ robusto LE instead but a bunch of the Piramids were produced and were sold on the market. The reason that I now that they were in fact official Habanos SA releases is because I have the Habanos SA 2003 Official Price list and specifications and it is listed as a LE on it.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Here's a litle ditty.

I contacted the purveyor of Puro Rey Cigars [Damian] (who advertises on T25C) a few weeks back to find out about the status of the LE's out there. What he told me was that the Cubans realized that the LE editions were a bigger hit than they anticipated and have actually planned to not only continue production but as they started to run low on their 2001 & 2002 LE they decided to go back & produce more of them. Basically he reassured me & told me to relax, that there will be a lot of the LE out there for a while. As long as the cigar public wants to keep spending, the Cubans will keep on making.

Now he feels his source is pretty accurate & told me that he continues to receive large quantities of shipments. All I can say is lucky us who know about this. [And just between me & all of you, I'm kinda glad to know that they'll be around for a while since I haven't finished buying enough of them yet -- god I only wish I had enough money to do so].

MoTheMan

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
RyJ Piramide Eddicion Limitada 2001

Yup! That's what they look like.
Hey, Cigartexan, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of the Cohiba Pyramid box as well would you?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can snap one for you...I have a box at home. I always thought it wouild be cool to have a picture gallery that contained pictures of cigars by the box...but then again...I am a bit of an addict!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Pull up my page again and it will be on there. Sorry for not putting it in.

Paul, I was working on that, taking photos of all my boxes empty and full, it just takes a lot of time.

MoTheMan, Loose lips sink ships, if you know what I mean!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts