Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
-
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am i not giving this particular brand a shot? i've had only a handful of them and i don't recall any knocking my socks off. then i read some reviews on some sites, and guys love 'em. the last one i remember having is the RyJ Belicoso, and while it tasted "alright" for a cuban, it didn't make me "glare" at the cigar in my own world and wonder "how the hell do rolled leaves taste like that?"

so, could someone please lay down for me, with their way more experienced palatte, what the RyJ "flavor profile" is? i know some sticks in that line won't have it, but what are their tastes like on average.

i don't think i'm giving them a fair shake is all, wonder if i would be smart to snag some Ex #3s to lay down for a while.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
That is really a great question, one that I certainly can't answer. I do know that the R&J line has wild extremes within it with the powerful Cazadore on one side and the sweetish Beli on the other extreme. I do think that the Churchill is a wonderfully complex smoke and of course not to overlook the Exhibicion No. 4 which is in my opinion also a wonderful cigar. I think that this brand has such diversity that it would be tough to come up with one flavor profile.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Lamar is correct. RyJ is just too diverse for a taste profile. a churchill may be medium bodied a caz stout, some sizes are full of spice and complex while some sizes are mild woody and nutty. since this is my favorite brand i will say that a few of each size may help you decide better on which ones are for you. i have done the same with other brands that i didn't smoke enough of to give a fair chance.

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
Enyafan said:
Lamar is correct. RyJ is just too diverse for a taste profile. .
Boy diverse is right. Sometimes I think that I do not even care for this line and then I remember those Celestial Finos or the Churchill. This line is all over the place. Personally I do not care for the Belicoso and I find the Exhibition #4 to be inconsistent, but then again I can be wowed by the rustic punch of the Cazadore. IHT I think you should do some more experimenting. I do not think that this is a brand that one falls in love with as a whole, but you may find some individual models that will win you over.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I like the churchills with some age, the cazadores, and the cedros deluxe . I find most of the others too mild. The L.E. 01 robustos are smoking very nice now too, and are a fuller blend than the Ex.#4.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The RyJ are definately very diverse. Give them at least 3 years of age before making a judgement on them as they develop very differently. The Cedros series, Churchills and a couple of the others actually mature extremely well and are at their best with 10-15 years of age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts