Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow apes, I am now officially a Young Ape so I can use that salutation, anyway am always on the hunt for an interesting libation. Was in one of my local spirit shops talking cigars and booze with a pretty knowledgeable proprietor... we were talking traditional spirits; Ports, Brandies, Bourbons, etc. Being a southern boy have always had a fondness for the latter, when he hit me with one that made sense in the kinda cosmic scheme of things regarding cigars; rum and cigars should go together considering the Caribbean connection between the two. I agreed and stopped looking at brandies and cognacs and bourbons and let him lead me to the rum selection. He put me on this Haitian rum called Rhum Barbancourt. Aged 8 years in oak barrels. After working my way through the better part of a fifth over the last week I can say he knows what he is talking about. Definitely a snifter spirit. I would challenge anyone to distinguish this from a high end cognac. Have been drinking it neat in a snifter but I think would hold up on the rocks. A cubre libre would be sacrilege with this rum. I consider this a great partner with a good cigar. Really worth checking out. Frank B

·
Registered
200 Posts
Barbancourt in some of its incarnations is not bad as far as rums go, but you'll find much better - particularly to enjoy with a cigar.

Look for Ron Zacapa in the wicker bottle for a nice change. Lots of people swear by Pyrat (Pistol, XO, Cask23) but it's a bit too much like Grand Marnier for my taste (though I will imbibe if offered). Pampero's also a good, readily available rum, and Gosling's Black Seal gives a nice contrast (especially for the price).

And then there's the various versions of the Cuban rums: Havana Club, Ron Matusalem, etc.

Another slippery slope you've stepped out on my son!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well because it is readily available here, I enjoy the Havana Club 7yr or the Anejo Reserve with my fav. cigar.I have also enjoyed some Appleton Rum, not sure of name but was the amber one . It was fine , fine .:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tried some Dominican made Brugal rum this weekend......very very good......Had a B&B&B - Benedictine & Brandy & Brugal. Went quite well with my Torano Exodus.

·
Registered
200 Posts
alwest74 said:
Tried some Dominican made Brugal rum this weekend......very very good......Had a B&B&B - Benedictine & Brandy & Brugal. Went quite well with my Torano Exodus.
Was that the Brugal Anejo in the gold fishnet stocking? I'm partial to that one as well. :al

·
Registered
67 Posts
I do remember a fishnet stocking.....the whole night was a blur.......as a matter of fact, there were several fishnet stockings! Nah, seriously, the Brugal came back from DR with a friend....dark bottle, fishnet, and very smooth...its the variety that isn't sold stateside. I'm not much for drinking anything straight up, but the B&B&B was great along with a cigar

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Habana Mike said:
and Gosling's Black Seal gives a nice contrast (especially for the price).
I had a friend who lived in Bermuda and would always bring back Black Seal rum. Got me hooked. To me, it is very rich and you can really taste the molasses flavors in it. For the price it can't be beat, IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts