Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recently received and used my Ronson Jet-Lite for the first time. All was going fine and dandy until I took my thumb off the switch to put the lighter out. It didn't go out. It just kept hissing after I closed the lid. I then opened it and clicked it again to prevent butane build up/explosion. I wiggled the switch to try to get it to shut off and I clicked it about 10 times and then it finally went out. What I'm wondering is A) What would you do in a similar situation, and B) Is there a way to prevent it from happening again? (Can I fix my lighter?)

· Registered
706 Posts
Brandon -

I just took the one I use apart which is as simple as taking out the small phillips head screw in the bottom - be careful not to lose it - and then pull the workings out through the top.

I would suggest that you purge it first so there is no butane left inside.

After you have it out you can see that there is a lever of sorts that opens the valve when you push down the igniter button - it opens by pulling the stem up from the tank and allowing the gas to flow. You will probably find that there is some trash or slag from the manufacturing process in there that is not allowing it to fall back down and close the valve. Or the levers could be bent.

Toy with it a bit and see if something like this works to fix it -if not the good news is that your only out $3 instead of most other lighters that are $20+

Hope this helps
Bill

· Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd never had this happen before, but I'd just get another one. Xikar makes some moderately priced ~$20 lighters with lifetime warranties if you are looking for something better quality and a company that will back its products.
Ronson has a year-long warranty... but I got it from e-bay, so I'm not sure if it's still valid.

· Registered
5,009 Posts
So, I recently received and used my Ronson Jet-Lite for the first time. All was going fine and dandy until I took my thumb off the switch to put the lighter out. It didn't go out. It just kept hissing after I closed the lid. I then opened it and clicked it again to prevent butane build up/explosion. I wiggled the switch to try to get it to shut off and I clicked it about 10 times and then it finally went out. What I'm wondering is A) What would you do in a similar situation, and B) Is there a way to prevent it from happening again? (Can I fix my lighter?)
When you said you just recieved it and used it...do you mean right out of the packing or did you charge it up first?

· Registered
5,009 Posts
I've had that happen a couple of times but never right out of the package. Mine happened when I was still putting the lighter in the freezer for 5-10 and then charging (new to torch lighters). Ends up over charging the tank.
For the past couple years I just make sure it's fully purged before re-charging.

Right out of the package is odd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.