·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Wrapper: Dominican maduro
Binder: Aged Mexican leaf
Filler: Cuban Seed and Dominican long leaf
Dimensions: 6x46

Ok... so, a little background. I got these years ago, late 2008 or early 2009 I think. I paired it with some light coffee that I made on the lighter side and it went well with the cigar. It likely added some of the coffee note to what I tasted though, so keep that in mind.

The wrapper is a nice dark maduro wrapper, a few veins that make it look rugged, and some tooth to it. It feels nice and firm, and smells of rich tobacco and cedar from being in my humidor for a couple years. It's a well constructed cigar through and through. No cracking upon cutting or splitting. It smells sweet, strong, rich, and earthy; very pleasant.

The cigar started mellow and mild bodied. Initial few puffs brought out a little pepper, coffee, and dark chocolate. There is a clean sweet finish that is slightly toasty. The pepper fades after the initial few puffs and leaves behind a sweet coffee and chocolate tone, with a sweet creamy finish.

The burn was consistent and even. It was a little wavy sometimes, but never got uneven or ever needed a touch up. Ash lasted an inch or so, and only ever dropped because I set the cigar down less than gently.

As the cigar progressed a woodsy oak like tone developed. It remained mild in body and mellow up to the last final bit. At first it was towards the finish, but later progressed to the fore. Around halfway through I could describe it as oak moving into coffee and dark chocolate, finishing with sweet cream.

The last bit of the cigar was mild-medium bodied. The oak was still in the forefront of the flavors, coffee and cocoa mixing in again, ending with a toasty and creamy finish.

Burn stayed nice and even the whole way through. Sometimes it was a little wavy, but it evened out before the next puff.

Construction... It isn't the prettiest cigar in the world, but it's a solid one. There are a few veins in it, but it never threw off the burn. The wrapper itself is also nice and velvety to the touch, a little toothy, and rugged.

Taste... The overall flavors I got were oak, black coffee, and dark chocolate. The finish was toasty and creamy, with no bitter or grassy aftertaste. Some places say that there are supposed to be hints of nutmeg, but I don't really taste it.

Price... You can get a box of 25 for $115-125 depending on where. At a little over $4 per cigar when you get a box, I'd say that's pretty damn good. Buying singles I can find them around $5 each. Definitely a good price for what you're getting.

Overall... Excellent. I got to have a RyJ maduro that was mellow, smooth, and great tasting to me. Smoke smelled pleasant; woodsy, sweet, and earthy. The burn was nice and even, and it lasted me an hour of pleasurable smoking. I would definitely buy more of these, and I would definitely suggest these to a friend.

Construction: 9
Taste: 9
Price: 8.5
Overall: 9
Total average: 8.9

·
Registered
386 Posts
Great review, I didn't even know that these existed. I don't know if its the shadowing or what on that first picture but that cigar looks like a complete turd. Construction looks horrible. Oh well though for the price and for a 8.9 rating sounds like it was completely worth it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cigar looks ugly if you're looking for a smooth silky wrapper. This is a dark toothy and rugged wrapper. Then again, remember that looks aren't everything; Gurkha has some great looking cigars that split consistently. This RyJ looks ugly as sin but smoked flawlessly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts