Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the Dominican Republic, where I purchased a box of Romeo Y Julieta Edicion Limitada Piramides at the cigar store in the Airport. I have been searching online and cannot find any info on these cigars, so I'm wondering if they are real or not. Everything seems to be in order, but im wondering why I cannot find anything on the web. They are 2001 Limited Edition. Thanks in advance.

Danny

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly where is the boxcode located? I'm new to the cuban cigar scene. If you are referring to the code on the bottom of the seal, it says AA-110443 in red ink. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh. After looking at another box I bought, Montecristo No. 2's, i notice the stamp on that box, but the box of Romeo's does not have a stamp.

·
Registered
585 Posts
normally people will say that the true test comes from smoking the cigars. I subscribe to the philosophy that nobody buts real cigars in fake packaging, it's too much trouble and defeats the purpose.

I would suggest boning up on some practical skills for purchasing and identifying authentic isoms before you buy anything next, just sit back and enjoy the forum here. When i first got here people were open to help me in the right direction and got me off on the right start.

I got burnt twice in the beginning very hard, almost 1000$ of BS i bought... it happens to the best of us bro

-DC

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Hey ddiablo,

Welcome to CS! A happy bunch of Gorillas here.

The R&J Pyramid LE does exist!! I'm going to try & put up a few pictures!!
BUT, as Poker would say, "I don't trust anything from the Caribbean", meaning, be very very careful when buying from there. Some places, i.e. Grand Cayman, St. Maarten (LCDH) have tobacco shops with established reputations among visiting Americans and Europeans and can be counted on as dependable. Still, I'd be very weary. Odds are the sticks may be fakes, but only your taste buds will be the ones satisfied.
PM sent.

Oh, and BTW, if it takes several posts to get all the pictures up, forgive me LLGs, I'm not very adept at electronic picture posting (need to send out a help notice).

MoTheMan

Attachments

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
More

More

Attachments

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
and yet more

still more

Attachments

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
. . .and finally

FINALLY!!

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input, i appreciate it. Everything is identical to the pictures you posted, all except the boxcode. The cigars taste great, so i guess it really doesnt matter. Thanks again.
Danny

·
Registered
19 Posts
It does matter. It's the difference between smoking what you are paying for and smoking the possible left over short filler. There are some web sites that try to keep a list of codes, bands, seals ect. I'm sure they were good but there is a difference between the whole leaf and the mix. Enjoy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd be suspicious. A few well noted persons (Simon Chase for example) have said RYJ Piramides were produced for certain special events / purchases, but they were never officially designated or dressed in Edicion Limitada wares.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It seems as if there are two cigars that came in this box with the same dressing, except the year is 2003 rather than 2001. This leads me to believe that I got smoked on this box. The crazy thing is that I bought them in a airport cigar store in the Dominican Republic. Not the duty free, but a regular store.
Danny

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
MoTheMans cigars he has shown, are the real deal. He was nice enough to send me one to try. Iv'e smoked over 2000 ISOM's in my 7 yrs experience. I have no idea why these cigars are not shown on the Habanos sa website. There are other cigars that have been produced in small quantities for some of these mini markets around the world that you dont see on the Habanos site either. I did however hear from a friend recently that was in Dom. Rep. and said he encountered fakes at an airport shop. The bottom of the box didn't even have date or factory codes.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You can't see these on an official Habanos web site, because they are not official released cigars. They were going to be an EL release and then someone, somewhere changed their mind. Maybe because they were not up to the standards they thought they should be or maybe because they just decided they didn't like them in the line-up. So, some were sold to a few wholesalers as a non-official released cigar. There are so many things out there that are legit, though not official, that the anti-counterfeiting efforts of the Cuban goverment have gotta be confusing.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Matts right. Theres quite a few cigars that although are 100% legit, will not be found on the Habanos SA or any other website nor in many of the in depth books available.
A prime example: The 12/99 H. Upmann Club Epicure limited to 1000 boxes with each cigar individually serial numbered.
(yes, those are Millenium bands)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts