Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow.

What a complex yet smooth smoke.

I'd rate it medium power - no killer stick here, until the last 2 inches, when it really kicks in. But the depth of flavors are really spectacular. This cigar reminded me of the best NC plus C combined, the only cigar to do that I've ever smoked. Wierd, really. Burns really, really slow but I was fussing with the burn for the first inch, after that no problems.

Bought a box I am splitting, but after this I wish I was keeping them all. Screw it... I just bought another box to keep. These have almost disappeared from the market ... get them while you can. RUN DON'T WALK!!!

I have had relatively few LEs ... the Hoyo Piramides are great, many of the others I have had need time, this one is special.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
Re: Romeo y Julieta LE 2001 robusto

Be very careful with this one. There are alot of places that have "a few boxes left." IMO, the only boxes of these are in the hands of private collectors now. I would not shop around with a search engine to find it, and would buy them only from a trusted vendor and even then with suspicion. I have had arguments about this one at other forums, and have mostly given up. I would never buy a box of EL's from 01 today...just no way. If they taste a little like a NC, they probably are, lol. Caveat Emptor on this one.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

One Lonely Smoker said:
Be very careful with this one. There are alot of places that have "a few boxes left." IMO, the only boxes of these are in the hands of private collectors now. I would not shop around with a search engine to find it, and would buy them only from a trusted vendor and even then with suspicion. I have had arguments about this one at other forums, and have mostly given up. I would never buy a box of EL's from 01 today...just no way. If they taste a little like a NC, they probably are, lol. Caveat Emptor on this one.
Actually, I'm afraid you are correct.

When I scrutenized the box today, the seal failed several different ways: microprinting was crap, paper was fluorescent, not just the UV watermark, box date and seal letters didn't jive, letters and numbers did not fluoresce correctly, fidelity of seal and number/letters was poor. I have 14 other seals to compare to and this one is obviously fake. So these cigars must also be fake, no matter how they taste ... things aren't kosher here.

·
Registered
162 Posts

SeanGAR said:
Actually, I'm afraid you are correct.

When I scrutenized the box today, the seal failed several different ways: microprinting was crap, paper was fluorescent, not just the UV watermark, box date and seal letters didn't jive, letters and numbers did not fluoresce correctly, fidelity of seal and number/letters was poor. I have 14 other seals to compare to and this one is obviously fake. So these cigars must also be fake, no matter how they taste ... things aren't kosher here.
Sorry to hear that brother. Is there any chance you could post a pic of the warranty seal? Failing that, would you mind revealing the boxcode and warranty seal SN?

I'm really curious, and have been looking for patterns in the known bad warranty seals,

Thanks,

Gordo

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Gordon in NM said:
Sorry to hear that brother. Is there any chance you could post a pic of the warranty seal? Failing that, would you mind revealing the boxcode and warranty seal SN?

I'm really curious, and have been looking for patterns in the known bad warranty seals,

Thanks,

Gordo
Gordo,
I will bring my camera in to work and take pictures in my UV light box. Starkly obvious. I smoked another tonight ... a damned good Cuban in my books but if the seal is fake, so are the cigars. This isn't the first time I bought from those guys but I'll withhold their name until I see what their response is. In any case I'll post pictures from my UV box tomorrow (I can't photograph from my 20X dissecting microscope). One other wierd seal that I had was one from 2001 from some LGCs, the UV watermark fluoresces RED! I have short and long UV capability so I'll take pix with both.
Sean

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

My last box cost me $500. I can check the seal on this box as I know the cigars to be authentic from prev. experience with this cigar as it is one of my all time favs.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Hope you can get this cleared up with the vendor. A box of those sticks has to be pricy.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

altbier said:
Nice photos! I was wondering why on the first image, one seal didnt have a flourescing image like the others? And then I guess the odd man was the one where all the paper glowed.

Cheers!
I guess one stamp got more of the invisible ink than another. There is also quite a bit of difference in the fidelity of the microprinting. However in all except the fake there are discernable words. In the fake its just blobs.

Another closeup showing the proper fluorescence with a real seal and the fake.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/okeefes/CloseupDate.jpg

How about his one .... from 01 on a box of LGC Tainos, they appear genuine, the seal otherwise checks out (good microprinting, red letters black numbers under UV) although it is a bit brighter than more recent seals, but the ink fluoresces red. RED!

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/okeefes/red02seal.jpg

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

The color it fluoresces (red in your case) is kind of strange, but I wouldnt use that alone to make a decision on fake or not. I have seen both greenish/yellow & pinkish/purple on authentic boxes.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts

to me the topmost number closeup looks like a stone cold fake. I didn't read the rest of the thread to see if it was suspect or not, and like Pokey said, you can't put the Cubans into a nice neat pidgeon hole. You SEE IT ALL eventually. But the font style looks way off on FX517432...lemme read the rest of the thread...sorry.
---------------------
This is both why I say never buy EL's and why I say that if you must buy them, get them while they are current, in fact, try to get the first batch. Subsequent batches seem to lack the uniqueness of the originals almost every time. I mean, look at Siglo 6. (I know, not EL) There is just too much gimmickry for me with these things. And most of the time they almost hide the twang, which is what I like the best about CC's. The only CC's I ever thought tasted NC were EL's...hmmmm. Almost like those Cuban farmers in Nicaragua who were "experimenting" with wrapper leaf in Nic, where the Cuban Govt swore that none would be used for export cigars. hmmmm.

Instead of EL's I try to get something out of the ordinary out of regular vitolas. For instance, try Sancho Sanchos or Monte A's or SLR churchills, or some Cuabas or whatever you think you would never get around to normally.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

So here is the latest email exchange.

My email.

Here is the information that led me to conclude the cigars are not authentic.

1. Box code date ABR01 MPC does not synchronize with observed warranty seal letter codes (FX 517432) and expected letter codes for that year. I expect an A or B series for 2001; F-series are from 2004.
http://forums.cigarweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=105409

2. Microprinting observed at 20X is just a bunch of blobs, nothing remotely resembling letters. I have examined 14 other warranty seals and they ranged from extremely high to moderate fidelity. None remotely resembled the poor quality seal on the LEs. The letters and date are likewise very poorly done compared to genuine seals.
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/okeefes/CubanStamps.jpg

3. The entire seal is somewhat fluorescent, showing up as white under long (330 nm) and short (254 nm) UV light. This is a characteristic of fake but not genuine seals. None of the 14 genuine seals that I have examined have fluorescent paper.
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/okeefes/CubanStampsNumbers.jpg

4. The letter and numbers should show up as slightly different colors, with the numbers being dark purple and letters being slightly reddish. Note the following:
http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/cubanseal/
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/okeefes/CloseupDate.jpg

The seal on the bottom was a different box and shows the reddish letters and purple numbers noted in Cigarnexus. The seal from the LEs had no color change. All of the other 14 seals that I examined were similar to what Cigarnexus reported.

5. The ink is a slightly different color from other seals and the fidelity is very poor. This is plainly obvious at 20X, but I am unable to take pictures using my microscope. You can see the color differences and poor fidelity here in the first link I posted.

So clearly and without question the stamp is fake. If there was only one or two problems I might think that its just Cuba being Cuba. But there are 5 separate instances where the seal does not agree with what is expected for authentic seals.

Although the 2 cigars that I smoked were definitely Cuban, because the seal is fake I can only assume the cigars are likewise fake. I will examine the seal code and its behavior under UV light on the second box that I ordered when it arrives, and if it is similar to the first I would like to return them both. I assume that you are honest and are willing to solve this problem amicably.

The response.

OUR SUPPLIER IS ASSURING US THAT THE CIGARS ARE AUTHENTIC

Uh-huh. They sold you the cigars in question, you think they are going to admit selling you fakes? You don't even want to get the box back and examine them? Sorry A*o, you failed this customer service test.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Damn Sean....sry to hear about your luck bro. I think I am going to go buy one of those handy UV lights and check mine for S&Gs. I would keep emailing the vendor and ask for a refund and send that box back to them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.