Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages...

I introduce to you...the amazing...TWO HEADED REVIEW!

Mmkay kids, gather round. Its Rocky Patel time once more. If this is the first review of mine you've read, I consider myself a Rocky Patel diehard. And I've smoked the RP backbone and nothing else with his name on it. This is my third and fourth review from his main lines (Decade, Edge, Olde World Reserve, Sungrown and Vintage).

This is a review of the OWR. This review specifically is the Corojo but you can find my review for the Maduro here.

Okay. I'll start with some non specific characteristics of the OWR. They are box pressed. Which mean the famously easy draw of the RPs you usually smoke is a little bit tighter. They aren't too tight by any means. But the cigar is noticeably denser to the touch. In the case of an RP, a box press is like a good pair of jeans on your girl. Compared to the usual sweatpants, everything is just a little tighter and denser to the touch.

Just a little side note. Some of you might be reading my reviews and going "Wow, this kid is a weirdo. Butt jokes about a cigar? Honestly." but ya know what? If I read the words "spicy," "chocolatey," "earthy," "rich," "coffee," or "wood" as lone descriptors EVER AGAIN... I will send that person every kind of coffee I can find. Your cigar tastes like coffee? Oh sweet, thanks for the freaking review. WHAT KIND OF COFFEE, NUMB-NUTS.

I say that all in mirth of course, I am totally joking. But I refuse to let my reviews blend in. "Spicy," "chocolatey," "earthy," "rich," "coffee," and "wood" are camouflage words. They make every cigar sound the same.

But I digress. Back to the topic! If this is the second of these two reviews that you're reading, you can start here. This is where I actually get specific.

While the Maduro is my favorite, the Corojo is also a solid stick. The first third of this stick tastes like a Ferrero Rocher to me. Those hazelnut and milk chocolate truffle things that Walgreens is always severely overstocked with.

The nutty taste kinda goes away after the first third. The milk chocolate stays and some spiciness comes into play. If you've ever tried those chocolate bars that they put cayenne pepper or chipotles in, its almost like that. Not super sweet but a little spice.

Towards the end of the first third, the chocolate continues to mellow and fade out of the spotlight. It is replaced by your typical corojo cigar taste. Spiciness with a good amount of pepper with a nice mesquite background. It's a bite of peppered beef jerky with a bite of sweet & hot beef jerky
As the cigar nears the nub, it continues its reign of spiciness. The pepper fades in and out but the cigar masterfully maintains its spice. Stays smooth throughout.

I'm not sure what kind of corojo wrapper this is but I would guess Honduran. The cigar is rolled in Honduras and it had a Honduran binder. But there are some burn problems common with Honduran corojo wrapper in this cigar. Which, if you're a corojo fan, it won't bother you. You're used to the challenges of the wrapper. But if you're not yet acquainted with the joys of corojo, you might want to work your way into this stick.

Many compare the OWR to the Padron Anniversary blends. I suppose I can see what you mean in the Corojo. But the Maduro is quite different.

· "Ooh, marshmallow!"
490 Posts
I like you review style, Very unique.

Today i just happen to have this stick and after 4mos at 65rh I was annoyed with burn issues, one side always wanted to stop burning. Other than that it is was a good solid stick. And bang on with the chocolate spice

· Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like you review style, Very unique.

Today i just happen to have this stick and after 4mos at 65rh I was annoyed with burn issues, one side always wanted to stop burning. Other than that it is was a good solid stick. And bang on with the chocolate spice
Honduran corojo is a cruel mistress. The camacho corojos always have done that in my experience as well. I don't know what it is about the Honduran corojo wrapper but its hard to light and harder to keep burning correctly. When I smoke this cigar again, I'll be dry boxing it after a good long sit in the humi. Personally, I would appreciate a little mellower flavor on this stick. The spiciness was almost a little putrid. The a little too mequite-ish sometimes. Taking a little water out of it will improve the burn and mellow spice.

And thanks for the compliments!! Its much appreciated!

· Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the last third was abit harsh, I purged and lengthened my puffing cadence and that helped. But I will try dry boxing next time.
Yeah thats about the same thing I do. I smoke just a little bit too fast so I purge about half way through then before it starts getting harsh again at the nub.

· Registered
98 Posts
Just smoked one of these tonight. I had smoked one earlier when they had about a month in the humidor. This one had been resting for about 8 months, and was much better.

I did have the burn issues that you mention. Just required a few touch ups. More of a nuisance than any real problem.

Will definitely be picking up some more of these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.