Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ordered my homeroasting supplies, I was doing it partially because I moved to a new area and could not find a local roaster and had to buy grocery store coffe or pay big $$ from an online shop.

Of course, shortly after I started roasting my own, I found a nice little local shop that sells fresh roasted coffee for a very reasonable $8 per lb. Now I have a dilemma. I actually want to support the little local coffee shop/roaster but I'm now set up for home roasting.

How do the rest of you balance a situation such as this? :confused:

·
Trout Hunter
4,529 Posts
Similiar to using a B&M versus online I would assume. I persoanlly buy my green beans from the local roasting house. I talked to the owner and he was more than happy to sell me green beans.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Similiar to using a B&M versus online I would assume. I persoanlly buy my green beans from the local roasting house. I talked to the owner and he was more than happy to sell me green beans.
I don't have the same issue with pipes, the nearest decent pipe shop is 40 miles away. (Iwan Ries in downtown ChiTown where only insane people want to drive.)

But yeah, buying green from the shop sounds like a good idea, I'll have to see if they're willing to do that. That would save the green shipping costs which are usually not insignificant.

·
Ask me why I dinged Black
10,415 Posts
... But yeah, buying green from the shop sounds like a good idea, I'll have to see if they're willing to do that. That would save the green shipping costs which are usually not insignificant.
Nice local roaster guys are going to sell you beans for 30-40% less approx. than Sweet Marias; businessmen will charge you more or less the same; poops will charge more. Most roasters are nice- to businessmen in my experience.

And, FWIW, don't expect every local roaster to have green beans that are up to spin - many of them buy a lot of cheap crap. In other words, if a nice local guy offers you all the (whatever) beans you want for $2.50 to $3.00 don't buy 20# and go home smiling. They might let you down. Go carefully.

·
Ask me why I dinged Black
10,415 Posts
...I still buy the local's espresso blend because I can't quite get my home roasted espresso mix to taste as good as his. I'm working on it, though.
Now THERE is a point I am familiar with. It is by-golly easier to buy green beans than it is to create a good, repeatable espresso blend.

If you can create a good espresso blend and roast it 25-times in a row you should be authorized for a coffee bean tattoo on your elbow. :D

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Now THERE is a point I am familiar with. It is by-golly easier to buy green beans than it is to create a good, repeatable espresso blend.

If you can create a good espresso blend and roast it 25-times in a row you should be authorized for a coffee bean tattoo on your elbow. :D
Like this one?

(coffee bean in Chinese. Go get one Mr. Moo.)

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I envy you guys that live in a civilized location where someone might actually know how to roast coffee. 1 million people here, you would think someone would know how to roast a decent batch. Must be the quality of the green beans they purchase.

To answer the original question, I would probably buy some roasted and some green from him if the quality was there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't have many small 'family owned' coffe shops here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland...so I view a small company that I would buy from online as my 'local' source.

As long as I good service I'm happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts