Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· CRT #1984, CRA #99974873
5,583 Posts
Not the 9mm... I've played around plenty with the 45ACP. The 45 is a solid gun for the money, well made, just missing the "finish" that the more expensive manufacturers have.

If the price is right I think you'll be pleased.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have seen I can one online for ~$400 + transfer fees, which isnt bad at all. I have heard the finish is kind of sketchy but if the wear bothers me down the road I could always send it to ROBAR and have them do the NP3+ finish on it. That finish looks killer.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
The RIA guns are made by Armscor in the Philippines. I don't have one, but I have a Charles Daly which is also made by Armscor in the Philippines (or was, they recently went out of business).

Mine is a .45 which I've had for going on 10 years. I stopped counting the number of rounds a few years ago, but I certainly have well over 10K rounds through it now. Aside from some spring changes it hasn't needed anything. It has been very reliable, enough that it was my bedside gun for a while, though it isn't as good as it was. It has been a while since the last spring change so that is probably all it needs to be fully trustworthy again. Though, it is a bit loose and rattles a little now as well (hasn't hurt the accuracy). It has been a fun, accurate range gun, and even now it is mostly reliable (just not 100% anymore).

· Registered
24 Posts
Definitely a solid and functioning gun for the money. I've had a lot of customers order them as a go-to gun to just strap on their hip and hit the brush. Accurate and completely dependable.

Just like szyzk stated, they lack that "flair" that higher end models have. Also they can be noticeably heavier then more expensive brands, although I can't vouge for the 9mm model.

· Registered
529 Posts
RIAs are great for the money! If I'm correct the slide and frame aren't.....can't think of the word....itts not as hard a metal as higher end 1911s. That is not a big deal at all unless ur shooting competively and with real heavy loads. If it were me (and if I wasnt saving $ for school I would def do this) I would buy the thing and and turn it into a high end gun. The parts in it are MIM (metal injected molding), you could put forged parts in it, you could put a kart barrel in it (barrel is 140$ and would completely change the accuracy), you could really have fun with it! I would actually like to ccw one of the ria guns. Well I digress..... I think you should go for it. Either way it's a great deal.

· Registered
2,065 Posts
What I like about them is the price. 1200 for a Kimber I am afraid to damage the thing. for 400 I am not going to use it as a hammer but I'm willing to put it through the test.

· Registered
529 Posts
I'd have to kindly disagree. The ergonomics of the 1911 is a great and easy platform to shoot. The 1911 in a .45 shoots much lighter in ur hand than a 9mm in a glock (the 1911 is heavier and absorbs more recoil). But I guess you have to ask what your goals are. For me, all I do with my 1911s is single handed bullseye shooting. If you are looking at a tactical perspective, 1911s are famous for the 'condition 1' or 'cocked and locked' mentality, which I love. Also on that tactical RIA ur looking at it has an extended thumb safety, which most professionals place their thumb on when doing quick shoots, which really reduces recoil! I'm pretty biased though. Haha.

· THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
34,863 Posts
I am a huge fan of the 1911's.
Not sure it is a great 1st gun....as it is a lot of gun.
It requires practice, practice, practice....
Agreed but practice is required to shoot any hand gun well!

I'd have to kindly disagree. The ergonomics of the 1911 is a great and easy platform to shoot. The 1911 in a .45 shoots much lighter in ur hand than a 9mm in a glock (the 1911 is heavier and absorbs more recoil). But I guess you have to ask what your goals are. For me, all I do with my 1911s is single handed bullseye shooting. If you are looking at a tactical perspective, 1911s are famous for the 'condition 1' or 'cocked and locked' mentality, which I love. Also on that tactical RIA ur looking at it has an extended thumb safety, which most professionals place their thumb on when doing quick shoots, which really reduces recoil! I'm pretty biased though. Haha.
Once again agreed! A cocked and locked 1911 in 45 A.C.P. is a great firearm! For personal defense or home protection there is no better! I practice the double tap get off two shots center of mass. Even if the perp has a vest on its like getting hit in the chest with a sledgehammer!!!!!!!!!!:painkiller:

· Son of Tun
9,469 Posts
Tony
You and I agree on the weapon,,,but I can tell you, I have seen 100's
of guys try to qualify with the 45,,,and it isn't a great 1st pistol.
Even in a controlled environment, it can be difficult.
The other thing is that because of the cost of ammo, many will not put 500 rounds in it to break it in.....
I got my wife a Lady Smith 38 revolver, and never looked back

34,863 Posts
Tony
You and I agree on the weapon,,,but I can tell you, I have seen 100's
of guys try to qualify with the 45,,,and it isn't a great 1st pistol.
Even in a controlled environment, it can be difficult.
The other thing is that because of the cost of ammo, many will not put 500 rounds in it to break it in.....
I got my wife a Lady Smith 38 revolver, and never looked back
Weapon is such a lousy word Imho Not trying to disdain your choice of terminology! In my eyes its only a weapon if one intends to put it to bad use. Till then in my eyes/ mind it is a firearm. Shooting another in a self defense situation is not a bad thing. And as always Bull you are right. For a woman a 38 or maybe a Walther chambered in 9mm kurtz or 32 A.C.P is a perfect choice. To much gun in the hands is sometimes just as bad as no gun at all. As always in life it is best to know ones limitations. I have seen women capable of shooting. 45's even 357 and 44 magnums with ease. But this is definitely not the norm but rather the exception.:rockon:

· Registered
1,124 Posts
I agree with you Chris. IMO the "1911" should NOT be your 1st handgun. I would go more for a wheel gun as my 1st handgun. :)
I am a huge 1911 fan, and I mostly agree. It all depends upon whether this will be a 1st handgun or only handgun.

If it will be an only handgun, the OP should get what he/she prefers. It does take practice with any handgun to become proficient, a 1911 or a revolver is no exception. Buy what you like and you'll likely shoot it more, shoot it more and you'll be a better shooter. The OP is talking about a 9mm 1911 so ammo costs are pretty low, lower than .38spl if you don't reload. One thing that puts many people off on the 1911 design is the condition 1 "cocked and locked" carry. It is no more dangerous than any other design and really shouldn't be a consideration.

I would say a revolver should be a 1st handgun. Assuming you don't just want one gun, and you want to really know guns it is the better choice. In the short term before mastery is achieved, it is simpler- no failure drills just pull the trigger again, you can actually see if it is loaded or not so no need to rack the slide to see and a ND is far less likely (NG= negligent discharge, not AD or "accidental" discharge). Also, a DA revolver makes it easier to more quickly understand DA v. SA. A DA auto fires its first shot in DA mode, everything else is in SA mode, and you can't really see the difference in most cases (many autos have the hammer hidden inside the slide, even when they don't the DA shot is only one shot, all the rest are SA, and the DA/SA transition is often fairly quick). A DAO or SA auto is obviously only going to ever use the one mode. A DA revolver is more accurately a DA/SA revolver. You pull the trigger, it cocks the hammer and releases it with the action of pulling the trigger= DA (and it is very obvious). You cock the hammer then pull the trigger = SA. You learn not just in theory, but you really see and feel the difference. I think starting with the revolver, then in a few months moving to an auto (DA, DAO, or SA) is really the key to truly learn guns and move towards becoming an expert.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Weapon is such a lousy word Imho Not trying to disdain your choice of terminology! In my eyes its only a weapon if one intends to put it to bad use. Till then in my eyes/ mind it is a firearm.
I agree with you on a lot, but I have to disagree with you here. A "gun" is a hunting rifle or a range "toy". Firearm is an OK term, it is just not precise (it covers weapons and guns).

Weapon is not a bad term. It does not convey an intention to put it to bad use. It is a tool that can be used against people, yes. It can be used either for bad and evil (assaults, murders and other crimes, terrorism, wars of aggression, genocide) or for good (self defense, defense of others, defense of country). I remember basic training- our rifle was not a gun if we didn't want to do a ton of push ups or have to put our arms out straight and have the rifle laid across them for a long time, it was a weapon. It was for the use of taking out enemies. My guns that are purely for range use are just guns. My self defense guns are weapons as I bought them and train with them for potential use to defend against an attacker.

As you say, there is nothing wrong with self defense. A weapon is an item that is intended to be used for self defense (if we are ever in the unlucky situation to need that). I hope to never have to use my weapons as a weapon, but they are there if needed. Language is important, and I think it is important not to let words like "weapon" take on meanings that aren't correct (i.e. weapon = bad).

34,863 Posts
I would say a revolver should be a 1st handgun. Assuming you don't just want one gun, and you want to really know guns it is the better choice. In the short term before mastery is achieved, it is simpler- no failure drills just pull the trigger again, you can actually see if it is loaded or not so no need to rack the slide to see and a ND is far less likely (NG= negligent discharge, not AD or "accidental" discharge). Also, a DA revolver makes it easier to more quickly understand DA v. SA. A DA auto fires its first shot in DA mode, everything else is in SA mode, and you can't really see the difference in most cases (many autos have the hammer hidden inside the slide, even when they don't the DA shot is only one shot, all the rest are SA, and the DA/SA transition is often fairly quick). A DAO or SA auto is obviously only going to ever use the one mode. A DA revolver is more accurately a DA/SA revolver. You pull the trigger, it cocks the hammer and releases it with the action of pulling the trigger= DA (and it is very obvious). You cock the hammer then pull the trigger = SA. You learn not just in theory, but you really see and feel the difference. I think starting with the revolver, then in a few months moving to an auto (DA, DAO, or SA) is really the key to truly learn guns and move towards becoming an expert.
I must disagree strongly here! Semi automatic pistols are easier to point of aim shoot. Recoil is much easier to control the slide takes most of it up. With revolvers the palm of your hand absorbs most of the shock. Very unpleasant for women i have seen many at the range shoot 6 and walk away. You ain't gonna get good with it if you don't practice with it.Trigger pulls are excellent on semi automatics. Try teaching a first time shooter to zero in on a silhouette and squeeze one off pulling the trigger in double action. Hell it takes an experienced shooter a long time to be proficient in double action shooting.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
I must disagree strongly here! Semi automatic pistols are easier to point of aim shoot. Recoil is much easier to control the slide takes most of it up. With revolvers the palm of your hand absorbs most of the shock. Very unpleasant for women i have seen many at the range shoot 6 and walk away. You ain't gonna get good with it if you don't practice with it.Trigger pulls are excellent on semi automatics. Try teaching a first time shooter to zero in on a silhouette and squeeze one off pulling the trigger in double action. Hell it takes an experienced shooter a long time to be proficient in double action shooting.
Most people can handle .38spl with little problem. For first time shooters use target wadcutters or lower strength reloads and the recoil is lighter than 9mm easily and some are similar to .22lr. I have taught plenty of new shooters to shoot a revolvers DA accurately (I have taught dozens of people to shoot and I start everyone on a DA revolver, then we move to the .22lr auto). It isn't that difficult, just proper breathing and trigger pull.

· Registered
667 Posts
Most people can handle .38spl with little problem. For first time shooters use target wadcutters or lower strength reloads and the recoil is lighter than 9mm easily and some are similar to .22lr. I have taught plenty of new shooters to shoot a revolvers DA accurately (I have taught dozens of people to shoot and I start everyone on a DA revolver, then we move to the .22lr auto). It isn't that difficult, just proper breathing and trigger pull.
Myself I've taught new shooters in both platforms on a department level and a personal level. And as long as your instruction on safety,technique, acquisition and shooting are solid and obtainable non shooters will come around fairly quickly. And hopefully will continue with proper practice beyond bi-annual qualifications.

Between wheel guns and pistols In preference I'm for the wheel gun to teach new shooters with. Mainly due to less of a chance for a unintentional discharge, loading, unloading, limited malfunctions, round count, trigger awareness, drawing and re-holstering on a hot line. Even though I'm just as comfortable teaching with pistols

34,863 Posts
Myself I've taught new shooters in both platforms on a department level and a personal level. And as long as your instruction on safety,technique, acquisition and shooting are solid and obtainable non shooters will come around fairly quickly. And hopefully will continue with proper practice beyond bi-annual qualifications.

Between wheel guns and pistols In preference I'm for the wheel gun to teach new shooters with. Mainly due to less of a chance for a unintentional discharge, loading, unloading, limited malfunctions, round count, trigger awareness, drawing and re-holstering on a hot line. Even though I'm just as comfortable teaching with pistols
I understand many instructors like wheel guns to teach as it makes their job easier. I taught for a while when i left the Marine Corps. I personally never found this mentality to be true. I figured when i joined the Marines i never shot a gun in my life. They taught me on a 1911 if i could do it anyone could do it. This mindset has always stuck with me. :peace:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.