Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided, after battling the humidity of my humidor for the past few months, to replace the foam humidifier with beads... I've seen that you can buy the tubes of beads, bags of beads, or the alum. humidifier with beads inside.. I can't afford to give up any room in the humidor, so I started thinking (which can be trouble), can't you just take the foam elements out of the plastic humidifiers and fill them with beads..?? Has anyone ever done this..?? Thanks in advance..

Jester

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Jester said:
I've decided, after battling the humidity of my humidor for the past few months, to replace the foam humidifier with beads... I've seen that you can buy the tubes of beads, bags of beads, or the alum. humidifier with beads inside.. I can't afford to give up any room in the humidor, so I started thinking (which can be trouble), can't you just take the foam elements out of the plastic humidifiers and fill them with beads..?? Has anyone ever done this..?? Thanks in advance..

Jester
yes and it works fine!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Depends on the size of the beads and the size of the slots in your humidifier. If the slots are too big you can always put the beads in a little netted or muslin bag and stuff that into the humidifier.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I had a friend who had the same problem, I gave him a couple ounces of beads, he took out the foam and threw the beads in and he hasnt had a problem since...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
That actually sounds like a great idea.

(Personally, I think my cigars smoke better when the RH is closer to 65%, but that's just me.)

Scott"alwayslookingforabetterway"M

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
This is exactly what I stated in a cooleridor post a while back!!! I guess great minds think alike!!!!! :D .....I thought it was a great idea.
P-Town Smokes graciously sent me a humidifier about 7" long x 3" wide x 3/4" thick. I figured I'd buy a pound of beads, stuff them inside and mount it to the lid, so it wouldn't take up any more space.

Then with the leftover beads I was going to do the same thing on my desktop humidifier, and also planned on drilling some holes in a few Romeo y Juliet aluminum tubos to throw in there as well.....(just to spread the humidity around a bit!!)

:tpd:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats a good idea to use empty tubos to hold the beads... I'll have to save my empy ones and reuse them as bead holders.

I have a decent size humidifier that came with my 150ct. humdior.. how much beads do you think i should order to fill it, 1lb...?? I may order both 70% and 65%. I can't decide, I could always use one for an aging humidor and the rest for a daily smoke humidor.. we'll see.. Thanks again..

Jester

·
Registered
668 Posts
works great........I've replace all of my foam with 65% rh beads......no worries

my favorite container is a plactic travel soap dish..........poke a lot of holes in it and you have yourself a perfect bead holder.

:p

·
Registered
308 Posts
Knee high nylons work great with 65% beads.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Jester said:

Jester
\
Me too they (floral foam) don't seem to be regulating as well as I would've thought, could be cause I keep adding smokes or the weather or both, but the beads are on there way.
Ken

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've only had my humidors about a month. I bought 1lb of 70% RH Conservagel and 1lb of 65% Conservagel from www.bargainhumidors.com. I made a 50/50 mixture of each then placed them into small (approx 2" X 2") plastic containers that I got for $1 for 4 at a 'dollar store'. I removed the original humidifiers that had floral foam in them. The digital hygrometers usually read 67-68%. I wanted my space in the trays or bottom of the humidor back. So, then I opened up the original humidifers, removed the foam, and placed the beads, wrapped in 'tuile' (100% nylon mesh stuff from Hobby Lobby or any fabric store, about $1 for enough for a lifetime probably) and replaced the humidifers in the lid. Works GREAT! I have consistent 67% +/- 1% readings.

G

·
I am totally ashamed of myself. As good as I am at workshop engineering things to improve their original function, I never thought of opening the humidifiers in my humis and replacing insides w/beads. Thanks for a good question and the responses. You have opened my eyes to numerous possibilities!!

I'm ordering beads today, think I will order 65% and 70% (I have long term and smoke-em now humis to convert!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.