Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say a cigar has lied around for a week or two and has dried out pretty well. How long would it take in an average humidor thats around 68-70% humidity, to fully hydrate back to where its supposed to be?

I know it can lose it's oils and not be as tasty, but about how long would it take to get to the proper moisture level?

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Take her slow & put it in the dryest part of the humidor for a coupla weeks. Then, move it to a moister area of the humidor for a coupla weeks. Then, refresh the humidor again & wait a coupla more weeks.
Depending on the conditions, of course, a week is not all that bad. The cigar may be ready to smoke in a week or two.
I was gifted about 1/2 a box of Montecristo "A"s that had rested in the guys closet for about 2 years. I brought em back slow & they are just fine, except for the fact that the year of issue was one where the "A"s were almost universally plugged. :mad:

·
Registered
691 Posts
I was gifted 5 sticks that were pretty dried out (3months in just a bag about). I let them rest in my humi for a moth before smoking the first 2 and they were good to go.

DsrtDog.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but how can you tell what the driest part of your humidor is, (assuming you've got a sub-150 count humi)? Or is that just a best-guess situation?

Scott"inquiringmind"M

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Scott M said:
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but how can you tell what the driest part of your humidor is, (assuming you've got a sub-150 count humi)? Or is that just a best-guess situation?

Scott"inquiringmind"M
You will probably be able to tell by checking the condition of your cigars in a particular section of the humidor. Also, logic would dictate that the furthest place from your humidifier would be a good place to start. You might even want to try surrounding the dryer sticks with strips of cedar, thereby retarding the moisture that actually gets to the cigar, then, in a couple of weeks, removing the cedar strips.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Back to the subject, just remember slower the better the, but a month or so should do it....

·
Registered
22 Posts
This was just the info I was looking for. I had neglected my humidor for many months, and the few sticks I had in there had obviously got pretty dry. I will leave them in there for a month or so and see if they will rehydrate. They were decent smokes too (Partagas).

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've got a Davidoff in my humi that previously sat out for about two years and I can't bare to let it go. It's been resting in the humi for about 2 1/2 months now undisturbed. I'll let you know what happens when it's finally enjoyed:)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'd definitely not rush it. This is one of those things were, depending on the quantity, having an active system like a Cigar Oasis is pretty sweet. I've revived a box of pretty dried out cigars before with great ease by pulling one of my CO's and isolating the smokes in an old humidor. I started them @ 40% and then bumped it up 5% every week untill they were ready to rejoin the rest. It took 6 weeks, but hey, whats the rush?

·
Paid Smokesmodel
1,568 Posts
A friend brought me some Cohiba Robustos straight from the Dominican factory. I'm rehydrating them now.
If your speaking of cuban Cohibas I am worried - if they are non cuban cohibas I am slightly less worried but still worried. :ranger:

How long were they out prime conditions that you need to rehydra them?

·
SCUBA Chimp
587 Posts

Scott"inquiringmind"M
The bottom is typically the driest, as humidity rises. Of course this assumes that you only keep your humidifier(s) at the top of your humidor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.