Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing my first box of cubans. I was thinking of getting the Sancho Panza Belicosos CAMPANA 5 1/2 " x 52, 140 mm x 20.64 mm. Has anyone had this cigar? Do you think it's a good choice for a first cuban.

a couple of the things i'm looking at...I dont want to blow the bank, i'm trying to keep the prices reasonable. smoking domestics has me used to thicker ring guage, I want to keep it about 45 ring or higher. I was looking at sancho because of the quality vs. price issue. Sancho domestics are quality cigars, for very reasonable price.

your thoughts comments are appreciated.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
I'm sure I wont be the first to say this, but never equate any C with the corresponding NC. No way to judge flavor or quality. However, the cigar you picked is also very controversial hereabouts. This cigar absolutely transforms over tme, but as a cigar to smoke in a reasonably heavy rotation soon or even regularly starting after you get them, you may not be too satisfied with this one. IMO, this cigar is a very slow starter and must be treated to a long and undisturbed nap to get to where the flavor equals the value. But I love em...alot. Definitely unique. Something lower priced, thick and ready immediately....hmm. tough one. I would say maybe some Partagas or perhaps a BBF or a Monte #2.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
That's a rough one since so much of this is subjective. For a thick cigar that smokes well young you may consider the Partagas D4. I think that the Party Short smokes well young (1 year) and just keeps on getting better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with the PSD4, but you will deffinately want to smoke this cigar while it is still young (within 6 months), because they go though a sick period. While the cigar you have chosen is a good they only get better with age.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool thanks for all your input. there is no way I could let them age. I'm going to want to smoke them right away. which is why I turned to this forum. It looks like I should get the psd4 as a first isom. I know the sp Beli's I was looking at were NOT aged. Thanks All!

·
Registered
668 Posts
megasolo said:
Cool thanks for all your input. there is no way I could let them age. I'm going to want to smoke them right away. which is why I turned to this forum. It looks like I should get the psd4 as a first isom. I know the sp Beli's I was looking at were NOT aged. Thanks All!
If you're into robustos or beli's (to smoke right now) my first choice would be some Monte #2's from 03-04..........they smoke great right out of the box.

I have some SP's from 04 and they are a bit flat......I put em' away for a while to see what happens.

If you're going for Partagas, I prefer the sd3 to the sd4 if you can find them......both are pretty good right away IMHO. If you don't mind larger cigars, get the Lusitania......you won't be disappointed.

As far as robustos go, I would rather have a JL #2....they won't break your bank and they are FULL of flavor!!

........so many choices, so little time (and $$$$) :)

:z

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
singlguy9 said:
If you're into robustos or beli's (to smoke right now) my first choice would be some Monte #2's from 03-04..........they smoke great right out of the box.

I have some SP's from 04 and they are a bit flat......I put em' away for a while to see what happens.

If you're going for Partagas, I prefer the sd3 to the sd4 if you can find them......both are pretty good right away IMHO. If you don't mind larger cigars, get the Lusitania......you won't be disappointed.

As far as robustos go, I would rather have a JL #2....they won't break your bank and they are FULL of flavor!!

........so many choices, so little time (and $$$$) :)

well now thats interesting. I immediatley assumed Montecristo's would be priced way high, but a box of 15, is priced decent for a GKI JUN O4. I may do that, ahh but there out of stock. well a box of 25 is only $50 more than I wanted to pay. Is it worth it?

The JL #2's which i'm assuming are the Juan Lopez. They are priced pretty good as well. that was inline with what I wanted to pay.

The Partagas Lusitania's are about $150 more than I wanted to pay.
thanks for your input.

·
Registered
668 Posts
megasolo said:
well now thats interesting. I immediatley assumed Montecristo's would be priced way high, but a box of 15, is priced decent for a GKI JUN O4. I may do that, ahh but there out of stock. well a box of 25 is only $50 more than I wanted to pay. Is it worth it?

The JL #2's which i'm assuming are the Juan Lopez. They are priced pretty good as well. that was inline with what I wanted to pay.

The Partagas Lusitania's are about $150 more than I wanted to pay.
thanks for your input.
Do a search on Juan Lopez and/or JL in the Habanos review forum and you should find some solid reviews on this cigar. They are wonderful imho.

The Lusi is more $$$$$ cause' you're getting twice as much cigar. They are real monsters that will last you about an hour and a half :)

If you can get a sampler or fivers, I would go that route. The cost per cigar is more, but you may find one or two you really like and then you can max out your CC on multiple boxes.

Good Luck in entering the dark side!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually I think the SP Belicoso is a great first Cuban cigar. They have a lot of flavor while still not being very strong. I think they will give you great exposure to the world of Cuban cigars.

Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know it might lend to confusion to get too many suggestions, but thought I'd weigh in...

The following suggestions consider taste, price, ring gauge to meet what you want, and of course personal preference...

Fuller bodied and fuller flavored cigars:
PSD#4- If you are looking for peppery spicy, go with the young Partagas Series D4 that everyone is talking about...Be careful though...they aren't lying when they say it goes through a long bland sick period. I actually dislike this cigar from about 4 or five months until about 2 years.

RASS-for medium to full cigars I prefer the Ramon Allones Specially Selected...they are good young with quite a few different flavors in there and if you can hang on to few for just 1.5-2 years, they start to have even more complexity of flavor.
Bolivar Royal Corona- another wonderful robusto that tastes pretty good when young and even better when aged

As for more mediumish cigars that still have quite a bit of flavor I second the Juan Lopez #2...less peppery and earthy than the smokes mentioned above in my expereince...a little more creamy and woody in my experience as well. I think they taste quite similar to Hoyo Epicure #2's

Last comment then I'll hush. I was like you when I started..."gimme fat cigars!" because that is what I was used to...
It turns out that all the coronas and petite coronas I've had have been great...as well as cheap...and somehow, manage to still last me about an hour of smoking time. When you get a wild hair, try some of the small smokes. They tend to be pretty full in flavor and if they are smoked leisurely, they are not harsh. I personally love the Partagas shorts and the Bolivar pettite coronas. If you are interested in the Montecristo #2, you can get a shot of the Monte flavor in the smaller Monte #4. Not everyone likes these, but I think that they capture most of the taste of a Monte #2...and at about 40% of the price. Construction on my Monte #4's has been great, though some say it is inconsistent as it is reported to be the most sold cuban.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts