Cigar Forums banner

Recommend me to some mild to medium $2-$5 cigars

5K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  carbonbased_al 
#1 ·
I am new to the cigar smoking world - I've smoked about 20 cigars last year, but for Christmas I finally got a humidor. It's similar to the picture at the bottom.

Anyhow, I've been buying a few $8-10 dollar cigars, not really knowing what I was after. Last weekend I got a couple of Cohiba Extra Vigerosos. I was pleased but I think I want to try something less "full bodied".

I'm not looking for a swisher sweet, something that is respectible and smooth, creamy, and has a good aroma/pleasant after-taste. What I'm trying to do is purchase about $90 worth of cigars to start my humidor collection.

I want a couple that are definitely mild, and some between mild and medium. I'd like to buy maybe a box of 18-20 that are in the $4 range, and then grab maybe 10 individual cigars, some cheaper and some around $5, like 2 cigars of 5 brands, just to see what I like. Some can be the mild variety I described above and some can be a medium variety, I just don't want anything too full bodied, as I have already experienced them and am looking to expand.

What I was originally thinking was getting a box of Cusano 18s, a couple Padron Londres, and a couple 5 Vegas coronas. I also want to get about 6 cigars to have that are cheaper (like in the $1-$2 range) and very mild and of decent quality, to use as give-away cigars to friends who stop by and want a smoke. These guys don't love cigars nor know anything about them, but they want to sit out back and smoke one down with me. I was thinking of getting some Oliva- Flor de Oliva Natural Toros for them.

To maybe help out - I usually now am only smoking 1 per week and I'd like my smoke to last 30-40 minutes, in that range.

I'm here seeking advice and recommendations. I am a novice, and I can see how this can develop into quite the hobby. I'm looking to get started off on the right foot with a variety of recommended cigars that won't break my budget. Also do you have advice on purchasing online vs the neighborhood store, and any favorites for good deals?

Much appreciation in advance. I'm glad to listen to some advice after browsing the web for several days. I finally stumbled onto your site and have been quite impressed. Thanks again.

See less See more
#2 ·
Vegas five.....cheap, consistent

Arturo Fuente or JR candelas....good change of pace for a milder stick

HdM Excaliburs......a little more full but creamy and good

try some cammies.....CAO comes to mind

that's about as mild as I can go :D

#3 ·
#6 ·
singlguy9 said:
CL......couldn't access the link....got an error message?

:cool:
weird... I tried it again and it was fine.... just search recommend mild and it comes up a few posts down.

#7 ·
Churchlady said:
weird... I tried it again and it was fine.... just search recommend mild and it comes up a few posts down.
The error i think comes cause the system thinks we are trying to do a search with YOUR account not ours :D . Thats why it works for you but not for us ;) , but as you said just do the search.

#8 ·
Churchlady said:
Thanks Churchlady- I just looked through some of those threads. I'd still be curious as to what someone who responds to my thread recommends. People try new things, and might have different comments to add. In some of those threads, some people recommended:

CAO Gold line
CAO MX2
Indian Tobac Anniversary
Helix
Punch Rare Corojo
Sancho Panza (Honduras) Double Maduro Quixote
Padron 2000 or 2000 Maduro
Arturo Fuente

Also, is it true that these more mild cigars will not give the buzz like a full bodied cigar? I have gotten that buzz before on one distinct occasion and enjoyed it. I might be inclined to buy one or two that could give me this buzz, any one have a suggestion? One guy in another thread said Joya de Nicaragua.

Thanks.

#12 ·
I'll add Gispert and Torano (1916 and Casa Torano) to the others above. The Gispert is very mild and smooth. Oh tea, and Welcome to CS.

#14 ·
I would try the Gurkha Sampler. I think they have them at Cigars International. They are made by Torano and vary from mild to medium.

However we all have different tastes. Many here have seriously nuked their taste buds with thousands of cigars. What posters here think is mild might cause you some discomfort. JR, CI, etc all have multi brand samplers which gives you the opportunity to decide what you like vs. listening to one of us. What if were a&*holes?

But thats just my opinion.

#15 ·
I appreciate the replies thus far and look forward to hearing more opinions. One question I have is a buying strategy:

Since I'm just starting out to determine my tastes, should I bite the paper-stack bullet and purchase single cigars this time around? The reason I ask is many sites I have seen, such as the afore mentioned JR, CI, and LB don't seem to sell some of these recommendations individually, just in boxes. I have found a good number at cigar.com sold individually, what is their reputation?

Once I sample a bunch of your recommendations, I can spring for a couple of boxes of one and another.

#16 ·
I like to pick up my single sticks at the local shop, then order my boxes online. There are some online shops like CI that offer samplers though. TBS-cigars.com will put together a sampler for you with whatever you want, if they carry it.

#17 ·
if you don't like a lot of dirty/spicy aftertaste, then stick to maduro or natural wrappers. when you mess with the camaroons and corojos, that's when you're gonna get a little extra kick to the flavor.

CAO golds are nice/smooth
CAO Brazilias are nice
toranos
perdomos
padrons
fuentes
HdMs
helix maduro (for very light flavors)

and, as always, i'll throw the alec bradley "TRILOGY exotic maduro" out there. very solid cigar, great taste, can get a box o' 20 for roughly $40-45.

#19 ·
This might fall outside of your price range, depending on where you buy your cigars, but the AVO "classic line" (pink band) is a very nice cigar in the mild-medium bodied variety. They are a little pricy, but you can get yourself a 40 minute experience (or less) from their petit belicosos or petit robustos, and you can find them for as little as 5-6 bucks a stick. These were the cigars that got me hooked when I first started. Very flavourful and extraordinarily smooth. I still like them even after moving on to Cubans and Padrons, and most of my novice smoker friends are amazed by them when they try them.

The Jericho line is not nearly as refined as the AVO, and they have a pretty nasty aroma, but they taste good and run about 4 bucks a piece.

Enjoy. I'm betting you'll be asking about Padron 64s and Opus Xs in3-4 months. :)

Steeltown said:
I am new to the cigar smoking world - I've smoked about 20 cigars last year, but for Christmas I finally got a humidor. It's similar to the picture at the bottom.

Anyhow, I've been buying a few $8-10 dollar cigars, not really knowing what I was after. Last weekend I got a couple of Cohiba Extra Vigerosos. I was pleased but I think I want to try something less "full bodied".

I'm not looking for a swisher sweet, something that is respectible and smooth, creamy, and has a good aroma/pleasant after-taste. What I'm trying to do is purchase about $90 worth of cigars to start my humidor collection.

I want a couple that are definitely mild, and some between mild and medium. I'd like to buy maybe a box of 18-20 that are in the $4 range, and then grab maybe 10 individual cigars, some cheaper and some around $5, like 2 cigars of 5 brands, just to see what I like. Some can be the mild variety I described above and some can be a medium variety, I just don't want anything too full bodied, as I have already experienced them and am looking to expand.

What I was originally thinking was getting a box of Cusano 18s, a couple Padron Londres, and a couple 5 Vegas coronas. I also want to get about 6 cigars to have that are cheaper (like in the $1-$2 range) and very mild and of decent quality, to use as give-away cigars to friends who stop by and want a smoke. These guys don't love cigars nor know anything about them, but they want to sit out back and smoke one down with me. I was thinking of getting some Oliva- Flor de Oliva Natural Toros for them.

To maybe help out - I usually now am only smoking 1 per week and I'd like my smoke to last 30-40 minutes, in that range.

I'm here seeking advice and recommendations. I am a novice, and I can see how this can develop into quite the hobby. I'm looking to get started off on the right foot with a variety of recommended cigars that won't break my budget. Also do you have advice on purchasing online vs the neighborhood store, and any favorites for good deals?

Much appreciation in advance. I'm glad to listen to some advice after browsing the web for several days. I finally stumbled onto your site and have been quite impressed. Thanks again.
:D

#20 ·
I'm with IHT on his reccomendations,

CAO Gold
CAO Brazilia
Padron
Fuente
HdM
Helix
all excellent, the others he listed I haven't tried, but I know they won't dissappoint. Also the FDO Gold or Maduro, CAO Mx2, and not sure if you can find the CAO Criollo for $5 but its a great cigar IMHO, just had one about a week ago, loved it.

#22 ·
Thanks everyone for the help so far. I'm assembling a list of about 14 cigars that I'm going to start out with - I'll probably buy a couple of each, and then figure out which ones I'd consider investing in further.

I was thinking of creating my own comparison system for my personal tastes so that I remember 6 months down the line which ones I liked and which I didn't care for as much. Have you all done that for yourselves before, and did you find it helpful?

Also, I'm curious - How far in advance is it safe to order cigars to store in my humidor, so long as it's running properly? For example, if I'm only smoking 1 cigar a week, does it make sense to order over, say 75 cigars? Because realistically some of those might end up sitting in there for 1+ years, due to me experimenting and finding new cigars to try. Is it better to let a cigar sit in a personal humidor for less than a year, or does it not matter if it's in there for 1 + years?

Thanks again to all!

#24 ·
What everyone else has recommended is right on. My thought is don't go for boxes right now. Enjoy sampling new cigars and keeping track of what you like and don't like. What is mild for one person could be harsh for another.

Part of the fun of being a herf'er is trying new brands and sizes! :w

Enjoy your search!

#25 ·
Steeltown said:
Thanks everyone for the help so far. I'm assembling a list of about 14 cigars that I'm going to start out with - I'll probably buy a couple of each, and then figure out which ones I'd consider investing in further.

I was thinking of creating my own comparison system for my personal tastes so that I remember 6 months down the line which ones I liked and which I didn't care for as much. Have you all done that for yourselves before, and did you find it helpful?

Also, I'm curious - How far in advance is it safe to order cigars to store in my humidor, so long as it's running properly? For example, if I'm only smoking 1 cigar a week, does it make sense to order over, say 75 cigars? Because realistically some of those might end up sitting in there for 1+ years, due to me experimenting and finding new cigars to try. Is it better to let a cigar sit in a personal humidor for less than a year, or does it not matter if it's in there for 1 + years?

Thanks again to all!
It does not hurt at all to age them in your humi.............some cigars age beter than others. Some prefer to age them for years, some prefer to smoke em' while they're young. Your taste will dictate how you like em'. If you read some of the pubs available (Min Ron Nee, etc.), some feel havanas are best if aged for 5-10+ years. If the conditions are right, you can store them indefinitely.

Good Luck!!

:D

#26 ·
I also agree with IHT and CDPII with there choices. At the $5 price range you can find tons of good smokes, even at most local shops so you wouldn't have to order them online or over the phone.

One smoke that I have been enjoying the past few months is the Onyx Mini Belli. It's a dark maduro that's really smooth in the mild to med range and you can pick up a box for under $60.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.