Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be graduating from college in August and want to buy a "premium" smoke. Never really smoked a cigar that cost more than $3, so I figure this is a good excuse to buy something really good. Problem is, from what I hear, alot of the premium cigars need alot of age time.

I was considering looking for the Opus Love Affair. Good idea? Bad idea? Can someone tell me what other Opus or good cigars I should look for that won't need any time to age or rest (assuming the B&M has proper humidification).

Thanks

· Formally "jadeg001"
3,620 Posts
Unless you can get an opus with some years on it (which you could probably aquire in the WTB section) I would go with any Padron Anniversary Maduro. If you can get the 45 that's even better. Congrats!

· Son of Tun
9,469 Posts
Unless you can get an opus with some years on it (which you could probably aquire in the WTB section) I would go with any Padron Anniversary Maduro. If you can get the 45 that's even better. Congrats!
Good advice here
Padron 64 Maddy is one of the finer sticks for the money
and many say it is
better with just a "little" time.....

· Registered
600 Posts
IProblem is, from what I hear, alot of the premium cigars need alot of age time.
Don't get confused by aging talk for premium smokes. If you are looking at a one time deal such as a Anni. Padron, these premium or whatever you call them smokes cost more because they have already been aged pretty well. This doesn't mean they can't improve overtime, it's just likely to be less significant.

What do you like to smoke now?

· Professional Cigar Whore
339 Posts
I'm going to be graduating from college in August and want to buy a "premium" smoke. Never really smoked a cigar that cost more than $3, so I figure this is a good excuse to buy something really good. Problem is, from what I hear, alot of the premium cigars need alot of age time.

I was considering looking for the Opus Love Affair. Good idea? Bad idea? Can someone tell me what other Opus or good cigars I should look for that won't need any time to age or rest (assuming the B&M has proper humidification).

Thanks
This is actually a great question and affords some of us an opportunity to test our mettle as amateur tobacconists...

Quick questions to help target you in on just the right smoke...

- As asked already, what cigars do you typically prefer/smoke now?
- Do you have a wrapper preference? Maduro, cameroon, corojo?
- Do you have a strength preference? Mild, medium, full?
- How about flavor profile? Light, medium, flavorful?
- What is your operating budget for this purchase? $10, $20, $30?

Since this is a "celebratory" smoke and not just an "I want an expensive cigar" smoke, these factors are all important. There are a lot of very good, reasonably priced cigars available that would fit the bill as a "really good cigar" without having to break the bank.

Last question, are you looking for a brand/liga that will impress those around you?

This is a critical question as if this is the deciding factor, you could certainly buy one of the expensive Anniversary series Padrons or Opus X. If you're less concerned with band identity, there are a host of really good, less common cigars out there to try.

PadillaGuy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.