Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a couple of people who stated that they would NEVER relight a cigar.

NEVER RELIGHT??

No...never...even if it goes out halfway.

I'm a very slow smoker. I've been playing with this LCG Series R #5 (robusto) for about 2 hours now. I've relit about 4 times now (getting ready to have to do it again).

Of course I understand not relighting 3 hours later...but if it goes out and 15 mins later? I never hesitate and never have a bad experience doing it.

Any thoughts?

Hoss

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
They say that relighting a cigar, at least more than once, can tend to make them harsh. I wouldn't know much about it cause I rarely let one go out. When I do, I'm probably not enjoying it anyway.
Some people smoke slow though & if they want to relight it, why not? I know a guy that will make a Churchill last him 2 or 3 days.

:z

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Its your cigar if you are enjoying it after you re-light it than go for it. I have had cigars go out on me and fired it back up immediately and noticed an initial foul taste that usually wears off. If the cigars tastes like an old shoe after a while pitch it.

T

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Absolutely, if you want to re-light, go for it! I agree with everyone, it is your cigar.

·
Registered
756 Posts
if you can relight, then go for it. i personally can't seem to be able to do it. on the rare occasion that one goes out that i am steady pulling on, then i will attempt. but if i set one down, and come back as soon as 5-10 minutes even, the relight tastes really hot. probably just my luck though.
jimmy

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cwaddell_1 said:
Try purging after you re-light. This will help release some of the built up smoke and gases in your cigar. This always helps me when I have to re-light.
CW...you seem like a long lost friend. haha...I'm a UT Knoxville graduate AND have read all of Ayn Rand's works...and undoubtedly we share the love of a cigar.

I'm a little worried about our QB situation this fall...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hey Hoss

I relight all the time I am a slow smoker too. I used to be a fast smoker but then I got a speeding ticket :z So I slowed down.

I typically do the following when I relight.

1. brush off the old ash.
2. Blow out on the cigar once or twice.
3. Light the cigar.
4. Purge the cigar. Some time you don't have to purge since you blew out before lighting. This always seems to work for me. I have done this even after letting a cigar sit out over night, and no problem.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I only relight due to poor draw/burn since I tend to smoke a little on the faster side. I like big plumes of smoke and if I find I have to work too hard, or the damn thing keeps going out on me, I'll toss it. My cigar time is too precious to spend it fiddling around with delinquent smokes.

Now, using the lighter to shape an uneven burn is something I do whenever needed, but only enough to prevent a major canoe if that is happening.

I can't imagine a robusto lasting 2 hours...that is churchill range for me, and then some. I typically finish a robusto in about an hour, give or take 10 mins.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I've re-lit many cubans with out the harshness that you normally get with NCs. But try purging right after you re-lite. That might help. But like eveyone has said....it's your stick. Do what YOU want...

·
Registered
756 Posts
cwaddell_1 said:
Try purging after you re-light. This will help release some of the built up smoke and gases in your cigar. This always helps me when I have to re-light.
if i know i am going to be away from it for more than a few seconds i always purge. i purge quite often when i smoke too now that i think about it...but to no avail. still mostly hot when i relight.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By purging, I'm assuming you mean blowing out instead of sucking in, right?

Don't get me wrong...I relight ALL the time...I was just amazed that anyone would waste a smoke because they didn't want to relight. I rarely notice a taste that doesn't burn off after a few puffs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
CigarHoss said:
CW...you seem like a long lost friend. haha...I'm a UT Knoxville graduate AND have read all of Ayn Rand's works...and undoubtedly we share the love of a cigar.

I'm a little worried about our QB situation this fall...
This is totally off topic, but I can never pass up a chance to mess with a UT fan. Hate to say it Hoss but when ya'll step between the hedges this year, who over is taking snaps is gonna get to know #47 all too well. But good luck anyway. HAHAHAHA!! Just beat them damn gators!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HAHAH...I love SEC football. I'm really going to miss it now that I'm in Big 12 country.

I went to college for a semester there at Barry College there in your backyard. I'd have stayed longer but my seriousness about studying wasn't in proportion to the amount of investment it took to stay there.

I dread the UGA game this year...I really do. I hate to see grown Bulldogs cry.

·
Registered
290 Posts
CigarHoss said:
By purging, I'm assuming you mean blowing out instead of sucking in, right?
That was going to be my question as well. By reading the other posts, that seems to be the case.

I usually only relight if I have more than 1/3 of the cigar left, otherwise it's too hot and harsh.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, purging is blowing out not in.

After the cigar is lit hold the heat (match/lighter/tourch, etc.) at the end of the cigar. Blow out genlty so there is a "flame" that comes out the end of the cigar. This will help "burn" the tar that has built up in the cigar.

I purge even if my cigar has NOT went out. This gives the cigar a "cleaner" flavor and I do it about 1/2 way through and then about 3/4 of the way through. It helps to bring out the flavors of the cigar.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yep that sums up purging rather nicely.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.