Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got off work a little early and decided I had time to burn one before dinner. Robustos are my go to cigars when I have the time, so I picked through the humi and decided on a RASS. Been wanting to try the RASS for a while, so I ordered a 5-pack which I received last week. They came from a box dated June 04. Construction was excellent, with a medium brown, but very thin wrapper. Nice and firm, no soft spots. Draw was perfect.

I toasted the foot and set her ablaze. First inch was fairly mild with a bit of spice. As the flavor built, it had nice woody, cocoa and earthy flavors, while the spice continued to ratchet up. By the half way point, what started out as a mild smoke was a nice spicey, full bodied havana. Burn was perfect down to the band. I would have smoked it further, but it was time for dinner. The buzz factor was pretty good, but I did smoke this on an empty stomach, and just maybe the 3 Pacifico cervezas may have contributed :al I'll be getting some of these to put away and look forward some other RA vitolas.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ramon Allones is quickly becoming one of my go to brands.I love 'em all! Small Club Coronas are my go to small stick,and the 8-9-8's I have are fantastic...full of flavor and complexity,yet very classy and elegant.You already know how good the RASS are,and the RAG's are just as good if not better! I just wish they made a piramide or a belicoso ...(sigh)
IMO you can't go wrong with any of them. ;)

Thanks for sharing!! :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The bad news about the RASS is that it really ages well. That for me is an unfortunate fact because I love them so much fresh that its all I can do to keep a box around for just a year or so. The recent production has been great IMHO and I have a box of 04's on the way. Does anyone have experience with the 04's?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I sampled a RASS last night after a heavy meal of prime rib and a great bottle of Australian shiraz..all I can say is WAWAWOW!!..it sure packs a punch. I don't know how anyone could possibly smoke one on an empty stomach.

It was full of flavour and lots of smoke but seemed to be heavy on the nicotine level and really gave me a buzz.

Like other reviewers have said..not for the beginner or faint of heart.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Love the RASS......as a matter of fact I may have to order a box.....damn you GOAT LOCKER :c :c :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Lamar said:
The recent production has been great IMHO and I have a box of 04's on the way. Does anyone have experience with the 04's?
I have a box that is from Feb 04. I have only sampled 2 of them as I am trying to age them a bit, so take this with a grain of salt.
Here is the take on my box...
very dark wrappers, nice amount of oil, excellent prelight aroma (recently anyway), great construction
Taste: They taste good, but they are still pretty young...because of this, I don't notice that many subtle flavors that give it complexity (I think these flavors are covered up by it's youth). It had a very strong taste that I describe as "coconuty" all the way through. I usually only notice this flavor in the last 3rd or so of most of the RASS that smoke (mostly 1.5-2.5 years old).
Though I am new to the aging game, I think that they have quite a bit of potential...the prelight aroma has been changing quite a bit over the last few months, so I am hoping that it's gaining some complexity and losing some harshness...though they aren't that harsh at the present.
I would call them medium bodied as far as the nicotine department is concerned.

My take: I am very glad I bought 'em, and think that they will be great with time...they just smell incredible

Keep in mind my favorites are the RASS and BBF...so I am a little less objectives with my favorites. I love a good RASS with a few years on it...so many flavors, and I love them all!!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
It is interesting that so many of us find slighly different flavors in this cigar.
I do not smoke as many robustos as I used to. Last Rass I had was over a year ago. Plenty of flavor. I remember more of a medium bodied spice, rather than a sweetness. Been a while. Good robusto never the less.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
After reading all the good reviews on the RASS I think its going to be moving up the list on my things "To Buy". The quality seems to be pretty consistent according to most that have sampled the RASS, if its good enough for you guys then its good enough for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.