Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good friends, good times and a gift from Hydra.

After some discussion and my pointing out that I never tried one of these treasures, Hydra hands me one. I immediately thanked him and put the torch to this very fine gift. No better time than the present to enjoy this fine specimen of Cuban craftsmanship.
This cigar had a very nice draw and an even burn. Unlike some other Cubans the flavor was mellow and not overpowering. As I sat on the stool and enjoyed this I noticed complex flavors and a smoothness I really cannot put into words. Our good friend Abogad said he tasted coconut. I will tell you this though, After I finished this smoke and decided I needed to hit the restroom I noticed how relaxed I really was, as my legs were not operating at full capacity. I loved this cigar and now know what all the hype is about. I rate this cigar a 93 out of 100.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
-
11,412 Posts
yep, i thought they were pretty powerful, but i'm a p*ssy...

mine were spicy as hell... this is one of the next cigars on the list coppertop and I will be splitting. we're gonna hunt down a shop in Regensburg that has these on hand so he can try one before we buy (i've had a few and know i'd love 'em).

·
-
11,412 Posts
man, i had one last night, along with coppertop, and it was the 2nd darkest wrapper i've ever seen on a cuban cigar...

of course, in hindsight, i should've grabbed the lighter colored ones in the box (this shop would put new cigars into already opened boxes just to keep them filled up, making box codes useless). i think the 4-5 dark ones were a little young...

still had me by the balls at the 2/3rd point... was highly spicy, like always, at the beginning, but by mid-cigar, there was almost nothing there, which is odd for a RASS. well, it was a taste, but just strong tobacco flavor and cuban twang...

this is still my 2nd favorite cigar, but i must've grabbed a very young one. the others i've had were lighter in shade and older, and they were EXCELLENT.

this experience might be pushing me toward grabbing a box of Mag46's, because they're pretty nice young as well as aged (so i've read). i have another one of those to try as well (with coppertop, so we can agree on the boxes to split next).

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yeah i have yet to figure out why they do that....If they want to give them a box for presents why not give them the old one?

:sb stupid cigar shop

:pu

·
Registered
831 Posts
I agree with Lamar on the Mags...you WILL become addicted! lol
As for the RASS, they truly need to be aged for at least a year to get a really nice blend of flavor. The one's I have from 01 are outstanding and almost gone! lol A great robusto with a very floral flavor. If you like the Ramon Allones flavor and want a very intense version of that flavor, then I highly recommend you guys splitting 50 cab of the RA coronas...talk about heaven on earth from the 02 and 03's of this ...my go to smoke and very intense, full flavored, huge buzz, lots of smoke and spice. DAmn I'm making myself drool and think I'll have to go smoke one of these now. I am down to about 12 of these from 1 1/2 cabs and ...be back later...gotta go smoke one now! :D

·
-
11,412 Posts
i hear their small club coronas are pretty nice as well.

are they similar in flavor to the specially selecteds? i haven't had their coronas or gigantes, so i have no specific "RA" flavor to think it would taste like. <--- if you know what i mean. y'know how bolivars taste like boli's, and montes have that nutty taste most of the time, and partagas are pepper bombs (to me) most of the time?

are most RAs spicy as all hell, or just the RASS?

·
Registered
831 Posts
The pc's and clubs are generally not as spicy IMHO as the RASS and the RAC's are 10's the profile flavor and strength that RASS are. The smaller format are very rich and flavorful but to me differ slightly. The RAG's are a little lighter although of all the large format cigars, they can be quite strong, the kind of strong that creeps up on you, not the kick you in your teeth kind of strong.:D
They all seem to have a classic RA flavor kind of the floral and spice side, to me. They are definatly not on my list of what I think spicy is with the exception of the RAC's, like some of the other formats you mentioned. Maybe you just got lucky and got an @ss kicker of a cigar! :D ;) If I had some of the other formats, I'd send you some but alas I'm outta those. :-(

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Now for the bad news on the cab coronas...they get even better with age! I have about two years on my cab and they just keep getting better and better.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
First one today. Call me Sally. What a great smoke. So rich and flavorful. Got some zing but keeps you coming back for more. Should have smoked this one after a meal. MMMMMM.
How fun is this.. 3 years later.

Smoked an 04 from my singles humi at lunch today. What a great smoke. So much buzz about the larger RG RE cigars being released lately we tend to overlook that old line favorites like these are ... still great.

Better smokingtoday than any RE released in 05-08 that I have smoked. Age does good things to tobacco.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
How fun is this.. 3 years later.

Smoked an 04 from my singles humi at lunch today. What a great smoke. So much buzz about the larger RG RE cigars being released lately we tend to overlook that old line favorites like these are ... still great.

Better smokingtoday than any RE released in 05-08 that I have smoked. Age does good things to tobacco.
Funny that I had one last night also from 04:)
Maybe two more years and the flavor will be a lot better Dave.

Glad you enjoy it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.