Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tempted to stop right here and get busy with another but will hang on for a few minutes to describe the smoke. I've had these sitting for a whole 4 weeks in my humidor and now it seems like I'm making up for lost time.

Started with the usual setting, garage, me, folding chair and ping pong table to prop up on. Visual inspection yielded a corn silk silky wrapper the hue of brown akin to beautiful dark brown eyes. Clipped cleanly and pre-lighted draw check was firm. No problem with the light and sat back to let the first 1/2 inch work it's way out. Noticed some very unique things going on with this cigar and I liked it. First taste was like multiple tiny sweet tarts hitting my tongue. Meanwhile I was picking up a subtle currant like sweetness in the smoke. Very strange and very unique effect this cigar was having on me. I continued experiencing the tartiness on the tongue and palate until the half way point where the edginess subsided where once again the smoke tasted dark berrie but now with a tarty cream settling over everything.

With about a 1/3 to go, it seemed to grow peppery. The end made itself known as a more subdued cedar flavor kicked in. At this point I ejected rather than wait for the inevitable sour note. If there was anything I could compare this cigar to it would be a dessert, a bavarian german cherry/chocolate cake with pepper sprinkled on it. It might not work as a dessert but it's allright as a cigar. I can see why these are already getting harder to get. I don't know much about em but I would consider this a fairly complex cigar. box date Nov 04.

Off to light another!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Ramon Allones Special Select

pinoyman said:
Very nice review Steve! I've got some cooking in my humi.

Salud!
Thanks. However I feel dumb to read what I wrote in my silly analogy. I meant Black Forest cake. How many dark cherries in a german choc cake? None. Hope that makes more sense. Lots of ligero leaf in the middle and a bold profile yet nice and smooth with zero burn frenching the smoke. I haven't seen that combination too many times.

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts

I have never been a huge fan of this particular cigar. Don't get me wrong I have always found them to be consistent and even good, just not one of my favorites. I did have one box that was dark and oily in the extreme and they were quite delightful, but in general I prefer the pc.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts

Tried my first RASS today...I have a couple fresh ones in the humi, but with everything I've read here I decided they need a long nap.

The RASS I smoked was one that I received from George (Altbier), who told me that it had some age on it. Coincidently, it was also dark and oily like the ones sgoselin described in the previous post. What an incredible cigar. It was beautiful to behold, dark and firm and begging to be cut and lit. Right from the git-go it was creamy yet with that Cuban "twang" I hear others decribe. Not as much of the power I have heard attributed to the fresh ones, but I had my Sprite by my side just in case (didn't need it). A perfect draw, great burn and loads of delicous smoke...I hit it hard but it still lasted an hour and 15 minutes....75 minutes of pure heaven. I will definitely let my fresh ones take a long rest, if this is what I have to look forward too!

Thanks George, you made my 4th of July!! :)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Great review Steve! I smoked the last two I had im my Humi :rolleyes:
Very good stick and will definitely be purchasing more of these.

P

·
Registered
164 Posts

I have one sitting in my humi that I'm not sure if it is legit.
I received it from a shady character at the big smoke in NYC last October along with a price list for those special smokes.

·
Registered
147 Posts

one of my absolute favorites...
however....I find that,especially with the RASS, that last 3rd is the best part!!....but to each his own. I keep more RASS around than any other smokes in my humidor.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Finally smoked my first RASS last night - part of a pass from MiamiE. All I can say is that there is definitely a reason this cigar is so highly regarded. Great from start to nub, and nice evolution over the course.

Nice review Colgate, I agree with your comments about the last third - picked up some very nice steam near the end. I'll be ordering more of these very very soon.

·
CS Noob Ambassador
1,194 Posts

also one of my fav's
When they are on they are perfectly yummy

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Nice review. I only heard good things about this cigar and right when I had a few extra dollars I could part with someone popped up with 5 packs to sell. Lucky me! I'm going to try and let them sit for a bit but not tasting one is going to be hard.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts

Just picked up 5 RASS last week at Davidoff in Zurich and they are lighter looking the ones I have smoked before.

I love the complex taste and draw of RASS, and consider this cigar a "sleeper" and for the real connoisseur. The woman at the store was surprised & delighted that I knew the brand. My one complaint with the other RASS's I've smoked is that they burn really quick- due to the exceptional draw.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Just tried my first RASS....It was ok. I think I was expecting something more .
I got a 25 box of these dated from 2005.

Here's my thoughts based on the 1 that I smoked about an hour ago.

Construction was pretty much flawless. The cigar felt very smooth and had just the right amount of firmness to it. The wrapper was a lighter- brown color

Pre light aroma was fairly neutral. It lit very nicely and the draw was absolutely spot-on....possibly a touch on the loose side...but that's ok with me. It never got hot and the ash held beautifully. Construction and smokability on this was about as close as one could get to a 10/10.

Unfortunately, the flavor was very bland-neutral. I picked up a slightly bitter taste at first (likely due to my lighting technique)....but that quickly disappeared. The only real taste I could discern in this smoke was that of dry plain toast or wheat....In other words....pure BLANDNESS. Even the Aroma of this cigar was quite bland.

I kept on smoking and kept waiting for something great to happen to my taste buds....nothing ever did.

Again, this cigar smoked absolutely ideally right to the end. I just couldn't taste anything other than that boring "dry toast" flavor.

Will these get more flavor with age???
Was it just a flukey dud (in the flavor department)?

·
Registered
4,101 Posts

I have never been a huge fan of this particular cigar.

I did have one box that was dark and oily in the extreme and they were quite delightful, but in general I prefer the pc.
I was a fan of them when I could find the dark and oily ones; similar to what is usual on a Juan Lopez, but less filled and easier puffing. The lighter looking wrapped RASS just don't do much for me. I did have one out of a 50 cab about 6 months ago that wasn't bad, but that looked like almost a different cigar compared to the dress box.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

I was a fan of them when I could find the dark and oily ones; similar to what is usual on a Juan Lopez, but less filled and easier puffing. The lighter looking wrapped RASS just don't do much for me. I did have one out of a 50 cab about 6 months ago that wasn't bad, but that looked like almost a different cigar compared to the dress box.
I agree with the above. I've tried dark and light wrapper cigars (rass, psd4, RyJex4, jl#2). The darker ones tends to have more flavors. I recently smoked an dark wrapper RASS and RyJ#4. Tasted chocolate, caramel, nuts and mollases.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

Alrighty!

I am starting to dig the RASS with subsequent pleasure as I work my way through the box. A wonderful and simple cigar (JUL 06, go figure). The RASS is a wonderful go-to smoke that is consistently great. a win-win stick!

ATL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.