Cigar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are from a box from dated April 2001 (SOL, I think). The sticks were beautifully constructed, a bit box pressed, and I had high hopes for them. I've smoked four so far.

The report, however, is mixed. The first half is just o.k., with only a hint of the spiciness for which this cigar is famous, but lacking much oomph to back it up. They also burn pretty quickly (the average stick lasted about 40 minutes), although the ash is firm and light gray. I've had many robustos that last longer. The draw was superb. The smoke becomes gutsier and spicier in the second half, but doesn't really approach the RAASs I've had in the past until about the last inch.

This box, at least, rates as "medium-bodied", a bit spicier than average for a Habano, but the spice is (sadly) not a dominant note. It is a good quick smoke, but if I had to spend years on a desert island with only one robusto, this wouldn't be it. The Partagas D4 is far worthier in the incarnations I've had, though I haven't tried them from 2001 or later.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Have three boxes of 6/02s and one box from 6/00 and all have been excellent. The '00s are much more chocolatey in flavor while the '02s have been spicy and flavorful-maybe you just got a bad one-it's odd, however, since I have not had a bad cigar boxed in '01, '02 or '03.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts