Cigar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These were from a cabinet from the Partagas factory, and I'm trying to age them. It's hard, however, when they're this good. Thus, although it's considered infanticide to smoke these so young, here is a report on two sticks:

Appearance: colorado wrapper with a slight sheen, well constructed. A bit soft for my taste, perhaps they haven't yet lost their moisture from storage at the source, even though my humidor is about 70% RH and I left them out overnight. Prelight draw a bit tight, so I skewered them with a Drawpoker while leaving them out all night. This made the draw acceptable.

Burn and ash: Very even burn, and slow: each cigar lasted about 70 minutes with my UPR of 1/minute. Required only one correction with the lighter for a single stick. Ash was flaky, falling off unexpectedly early, but this was not a problem.

Draw: still a wee bit too tight for my taste, but not nearly tight enough to prevent me from greedily sucking in mouthfuls of rich smoke.

Flavor: OUTSTANDING! A classic rich and heavy Habano. Notes of leather and toasted almonds, with a long and creamy aftertaste. All elements in great harmony, even in a cigar this young. A fully satisfying experience. This cigar is powerful and should not be taken after a good meal.

Rating: among recently-made coronas I've tried, this is near the top: I give it an A. To me it's even better than the 98 Boli PC reviewed twice in this forum. The draw problems will almost certainly improve with age, and I'm keeping my hands off these babies for a while. They are really great and they are not expensive; I recommend purchasing a cabinet while they're available. This is a SEVENTY-MINUTE corona!

Note to gorillas: it would be great to read more reviews here; they seem to be relatively infrequent these days. They don't have to be elaborate, but I (and I know others) would appreciate even very brief assessments of cigars you're smoking. It is of great value to us newbies. So please drop a few lines, critical or laudatory, about what you've smoked recently.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
thanks for the review... i think these may be #1 in my list of favorite recent productions (if i had to make a list).

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
I like the way you laid out the review and discussed it.

I'll probably follow that format when I have something to contribute.

MoTheMan

·
-
11,419 Posts
Re: Ramon Allones Corona 2002

Radar sent me one of these discontinued cigars to try. same year as the first review for this topic. it seemed this one was from a cabinet, but i'm not sure (wasn't pressed at all), and it was olive to brown in wrapper color. semi-tight draw, decent amount of smoke, and it smelled/tasted awesome. to me, the typical RA flavors, and smooth in the delivery of them.

i don't have a formal review, just wanted to say it was damn good and a thanks to Radar for the chance to try this cigar.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

This is a GREAT corona........classic old havana flavor. If these stay discontinued, these will become a highly valued collector's cigar in years to come.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Great review at the three year mark. I am down to my final 12 on my cab...wish that I had bought two!

·
Registered
921 Posts

Only have had a couple and they were quite good.
Seems the same nice guy has struck more than once with these.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts