Cigar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the mood for an Italia, but the only ones available were upwards of the $7 range. Too much for a drive home smoke. I went with the CAO Extreme Toro, much more reasonable at $3.75

The wrapper was a very even chocolate boxed pressed brown sungrown. Was not to veiny, and there were no outward flaws. After clipping it looked like typical CAO construction, the cigar felt heavier than it looked by a good amount.

Once lit the taste was very straightforward for the first 3/4 of the cigar. In my mind it almost mirrored that of the Cuesta Rey Sungrown. Very pleasant taste, but nothing remarkable.

The draw on the cigar was very tough from the start and it got even tougher as the cigar burned down. The burn was almost perfect. A very nice firm gray ash and no burn problems at all. I had to cut this one a bit short as it was cold and the cigar changed to bitter. (Most likey a result of me trying to get it over with in the cold)

Overall though I do believe this cigar is a keeper. As far as the CAO line, this one is one of the best on price that I have seen. If you are a fan of the sungrown wrapper, especially Cuesta Rey, I recommend giving this a try. I think you will be happy with price and flavor.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've got to give these a second chance. Every one I've had thus far as been nothing but strong and harsh with very little discernible flavour...Or maybe I'm a wimp.

Funnymantrip said:
I was in the mood for an Italia, but the only ones available were upwards of the $7 range. Too much for a drive home smoke. I went with the CAO Extreme Toro, much more reasonable at $3.75

The wrapper was a very even chocolate boxed pressed brown sungrown. Was not to veiny, and there were no outward flaws. After clipping it looked like typical CAO construction, the cigar felt heavier than it looked by a good amount.

Once lit the taste was very straightforward for the first 3/4 of the cigar. In my mind it almost mirrored that of the Cuesta Rey Sungrown. Very pleasant taste, but nothing remarkable.

The draw on the cigar was very tough from the start and it got even tougher as the cigar burned down. The burn was almost perfect. A very nice firm gray ash and no burn problems at all. I had to cut this one a bit short as it was cold and the cigar changed to bitter. (Most likey a result of me trying to get it over with in the cold)

Overall though I do believe this cigar is a keeper. As far as the CAO line, this one is one of the best on price that I have seen. If you are a fan of the sungrown wrapper, especially Cuesta Rey, I recommend giving this a try. I think you will be happy with price and flavor.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Great Review. CAO has really caught the spotlight lately.

Gonna have to get off my Brazillia kick and try the extreme.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The Extreme is one of my go to smokes. I prefer the Corona (I keep about 100 of them sitting in their own humidor) but the Toro is good as well. The only ones I've experienced any real burn problems with is the Churchill, tended to canoe and the draw was tight on some of them I've had. I haven't tried a Maduro or Italia yet, but the Brazillia wasn't a smoke I cared much for.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Excellent smoke choice IMHO, I only have two extreme churchills left, and yeah the draw is really tough on them, but overall I completely agree a very enjoyable smoke. Man would I love to have about 100 of them.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
I love the CAO Extreme Robusto. Not only great cigar, but one that I've gifted many times & always received great feedback on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.