Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Civilian Mr. Clean
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello chaps!

A rather sad update for those who envied my job, but a very happy update for myself and those who can empathize with having to deal with unprofessional management.

Yesterday, after about an hour of work, and another day of begging to get my schedule changed back to normal and being berated for things they thought I was doing, I walked out. No more games, no more stress-inducing Italians coming at me from three different directions.

I feel we all have our own levels of dignity, and personally I'm not willing to break my standards for an under $9.00 an hour job...

So now I work from home, and prepare for item #2 in my updates.

My medical background cleared, and all I'm waiting for is one college transcript to arrive, and I've got a green light for the Air Force. Hopefully head up to MEPS in a week or two, then begin the wait for basic.

What this means for me cigar wise is that I will not be purchasing any more (for the time being), and I've had to cut all extra spending with the exception of bills. If I do get accepted into the Air Force, I'll be smoking all of my cigars, rather than entrust one of my friends here to maintain them while I'm gone. Worst case scenario, I get to smoke a whole bunch of good cigars (oh darn).

It's looking like a very pleasing rest of the summer. I see much more happiness on my horizon.

Just thought I'd share. I'll stop being so narcissistic now :D

-Ben

· Registered
1,302 Posts
i guess this earns a congratulations.. good that you stood up for yourself and did what you felt was right for you.. good luck with the Air Force.. hope everything works out for you and try not to feel bad when you're smoking all those good cigars, ha

· Registered
1,384 Posts
Good for you Ben! Hopefully things work out well for you. The AF is the way to go. Their quality of life is usually better than the other services. They get all this money for their runways that is usually spent on their golf courses! Then they go back to Congress asking for more money (just kidding, maybe...)!

· Registered
8,376 Posts
I've always wanted to say: "Take this job and shove it!" Guess you did and sounds like you'll be much better off for it. Good luck in your new adventures and keep us informed!!

· Master Illusione-a-Tatist
2,043 Posts
grats Bro! Wish Id have joined the Slacker Force. Of everyone I know the only ones who ever stay in are those in Air Force. In all seriousness though that's probably one of the best things you'll ever do. best of luck with it all. And be prepared for one boring ass day up/down @ MEPS. Not sure if you'll be going to Milwaukee or elsewhere but it sucks & a whole day of it....

on another note, by all means smoke up but if you were willing to fly up towards Appleton or FonDuLac WI I'd gladly meet you and maintain your stash till it can be shipped out to you. or ship it up and I can tupperdor it. Since you can't trust your friends to do it I'd hate to see you smoke em all and have to start from scratch once you're stationed. :tu just a kind offer. I know if I were to go to basic, which I'd never do again, I'd prefer to keep my stash in tact so it were ready when I was done. :tu

· Registered
508 Posts
Don't know what your old job was as we've not spoken much here (if at all), but I can tell you that life's too short to waste on a job you hate.

Good luck in the AF. I work in the space industry, and most of my bosses are retired AF. It can be a good gig if you get in the right field. And you make good connections if you stay in and go the officer route. Those boys are loyal to each other after they get out.

· Registered
2,520 Posts
Awesome Ben! My cousin is headed for the AF as well. Best of luck to you and way to stand up to "the man" haha. I suppose getting to smoke down your stash will keep your mind off of having to cut all your gorgeous locks off :D

· The Karate Squid
10,421 Posts
Wow, congratulations and best of luck! Takes some courage, especially in this economy, but the Air Force is a great career for a single guy. And if you need help liquifying that stash, you just let me know, aiight?

· Banned
18,523 Posts
I'd rather be in a situation where I control my destiny than to be controlled by others and I've been in both situations. I'd rather be happy in a job I don't have to stress over every day and take a pay cut than to make a lot of money and hate my job. Again, I've done both and the thing about a job is you have to remember...it's a job. I've never seen a tombstone yet that said "Here Lies The Best Worker" and I've never seen a funeral procession where the deceased towed a U Haul trailer to his grave.

· Civilian Mr. Clean
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd rather be in a situation where I control my destiny than to be controlled by others and I've been in both situations. I'd rather be happy in a job I don't have to stress over every day and take a pay cut than to make a lot of money and hate my job. Again, I've done both and the thing about a job is you have to remember...it's a job. I've never seen a tombstone yet that said "Here Lies The Best Worker" and I've never seen a funeral procession where the deceased towed a U Haul trailer to his grave.
Gary has a habit, and that habit is winning threads. Well put sir, I could not echo that more thoroughly.

· Registered
173 Posts
I had to add to your RG after an epic post like that

· Registered
878 Posts
What MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) are you going to pick? I chose computers in the Marine Corps and it had been my career ever since. Try to look at how you can take an MOS into civilian life and make a living from it. GL in the AF, easiest branch of the service to serve in (imo).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.