Cigar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our morning coffee guys is a NYC native and just got back from attending the Belmont. Here's his story he told us this morning.

The Quintessential New York Moment

About 30 of us, all native New Yorkers, go the Belmont and bet on Smarty Jones. The race starts and were all cheering for him. As he's rounding the last curve, he's got a four length lead. We're all thinking $$$$ in our pockets.

We're all cheering: "Go! Go! Go Smarty! Give him the whip! Go! Go!"

Now comes Birdstone. He's gaining on Smarty Jones. All the cheering suddenly stops and a few "Oh No's" are murmured.

Just as the two horses come by where we are sitting, Birdstone kicks it in, goes ahead and Smarty Jones starts to fade.

DEAD SILENCE!

All of a sudden, we have a Quintessential New York Moment as everyone starts yelling...

"G*ddam sonofabitchin' Philadelphia f**ker"

"You Philly piece of s**t!"

"Yer friggin' name oughta be Schmuck Jones!"

"Just like the G*ddam Eagles! F**k up at crunch time."

New Yorkers: Don't ya just love 'em? :r

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am confused about the $$$$ in the pocket part.........weren't the odds like 1 to 5 :confused: don't get a big payoff with those kind of odds

Now those who bet on the Birdstone walked away with some $$$$ money in their pockets.......36 - 1........

Although I could here those guys with the thick NY accent yelling those remarks! :D

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cigar Chic said:
I am confused about the $$$$ in the pocket part.........weren't the odds like 1 to 5 :confused: don't get a big payoff with those kind of odds
Don't be confused. It's very simple. I didn't (and my friend in the story didn't) said anything about a big payoff.

But.....You bet on a horse and it wins. You make money. All they thought they were going to do was make a few bucks on a "sure thing." Yeah. Riiiiiigggghhhhttt. :r

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.