Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I got my humidor in on Wendsday, and i got to working on it. I put my smokes in there on thursday morning. I took my first La Gloria Cubana out at about 1, and I bundled up, went outside, and smoked it. I semi-calibrated my hygrometer. I dont want to fool with recalibrating it, so I know it is about 12% lower than what it should be reading. It says 60%, so it is about 72%. I think it is a little higher though because when I smoked it, it was a little hard to adjust it. It was my first La Gloria Cubana though, and I enjoyed it.

One thing I have noticed though is that I cant review a cigar when it is cold outside. A) it effects the flavor. The smoke tastes different in my mouth. I can still tell a good smoke from a bad one, but I cant tell you a lot of the details about the smoke. On top of that, it is always a race to the finish. This smoke was nice and slow burning, but man did I want it to burn a little faster. Oh well, there is my newb rant for the day. Feel free to comment on it, and add some insight. I am always looking for a few tips.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I hate to smoke outside as I am a "nose" smoker & the wind seems to carry away half the flavor of my cigar.

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
I've froze my ash off on more than a few occasions this winter already. I agree with you Mr. Hat I love to smell the smoke. Gonna have the smoking room this spring so hopefully my reviews will improve..

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The only time I really smoke outside is at hunting camp and while it is chilly, something about the ambience of the camp makes the cigar taste great. Of course, I am always dressed for the weather.

My other cold experience with cigars is when I am driving with the window cracked. The cold air is kinda stimulating and I always enjoy a smoke when conditions are like this.

Actually, I prefer being cool to warm anyday. My daughter is always complaining that I have the house too cold for her. It might be cold for her, but it is just right for me!

;)

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I hear you guys have some weather coming at you, so good luck! It is snowing to beat h-e-double-l here, but the accumulation probably won't hit more than 2 or 3 inches with a low of around thirty.........so, this is just a light sneeze.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
I don't like to smoke when its really cold either. My senses are muted and its just not very enjoyable when the wind is bitter and whipping. I like to be in a nice warm room where the smoke can drift about and fill my nose with pleasant aroma.

Jeff

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
And its like ya have one foot in the door, brrrrrrrr puffing like a mad man so is not to waste that great smoke. I tell you it never seems to miss that the best one you've had in awhile is the coldest day in years.

·
Registered
904 Posts
TheSmokingHiker said:
Hey, I got my humidor in on Wendsday, and i got to working on it. I put my smokes in there on thursday morning. I took my first La Gloria Cubana out at about 1, and I bundled up, went outside, and smoked it. I semi-calibrated my hygrometer. I dont want to fool with recalibrating it, so I know it is about 12% lower than what it should be reading. It says 60%, so it is about 72%. I think it is a little higher though because when I smoked it, it was a little hard to adjust it. It was my first La Gloria Cubana though, and I enjoyed it.
Agree with everyone on the need to use the old snoz. But I'm really confused about your humi and calibration.

Got it on Weds and put cigars in on Thurs? Usually takes about 3-4 weeks to break in a humidor, are you rushing it?

It says 60%, so it is about 72%. I think it is a little higher though because when I smoked it, it was a little hard to adjust it. You feel the humi is already at 72% or the cigar?

I'd at least do the salt test before adjusting.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
miketafc said:
Agree with everyone on the need to use the old snoz. But I'm really confused about your humi and calibration.

Got it on Weds and put cigars in on Thurs? Usually takes about 3-4 weeks to break in a humidor, are you rushing it?

It says 60%, so it is about 72%. I think it is a little higher though because when I smoked it, it was a little hard to adjust it. You feel the humi is already at 72% or the cigar?

I'd at least do the salt test before adjusting.
Yes I was rushed, and yes I did the salt test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.