Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad goes back and forth to portugal and a lot of times to china.
I'm thinking about asking him to bring me back some habanos next time.
what should I have him do with them?
is it ok to bring them in the box with bands and everything inside his luggage?
or does he need to resort to some kind of 007 espionage with them?
anyone know of reputable shops around those areas I could send him to?
i'm thinking the fancy hotels he stays in over there prolly sell them.
btw delete this thread if I'm breaking any rules here

this would be my first box of habanos :)
of course if I fail my statistical methods class like I think I'm going to it may be all for naught.
anyhoo thanks for any advice guys!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
PDS, the moderator of this fine site, posted these guidelines that might offer you some information:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i read it
but i don't think i'm violating the rules
I'm not asking how to buy them in the us or looking for a retailer to ship them in illegally
my dad would be buying them legally in another county
;)

if you can't offer advice about how to bring them back surely someone suggesting a brick and mortar retailer in a country that legally sells them is no problem.
but if i'm in some kind of grey area I suppose you can just lock this thread
(maybe pm me some advice if that happens??? :) )

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I am offering you some advice.

On the US Customs site it reads, "Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, England, or Mexico."

I wouldn't think you would want to place your father in a situation where he is caught bringing in cigars that are not legal in the US, that is all that I am trying to get across.

:)

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
LiteHedded said:
my dad goes back and forth to portugal and a lot of times to china.
I'm thinking about asking him to bring me back some habanos next time.
what should I have him do with them?
is it ok to bring them in the box with bands and everything inside his luggage?
or does he need to resort to some kind of 007 espionage with them?
anyone know of reputable shops around those areas I could send him to?
i'm thinking the fancy hotels he stays in over there prolly sell them.
btw delete this thread if I'm breaking any rules here

this would be my first box of habanos :)
of course if I fail my statistical methods class like I think I'm going to it may be all for naught.
anyhoo thanks for any advice guys!
LH

I don't think it is a matter of rules that are at issue for you in getting a reply to a very simple question. The problem is that this forum is open for ANYone on the net to read, and to expect that people from customs would not be reading is to be foolish. To give advice on doing something illegal definitely can be an implication or lead that you yourself are doing it and people are not exactly "lined up" waiting to do that. I think the idea is that you need to be around long enough so the higher Branch dwellers have a chance to see that you are not a risk in giving advice to and that you come to understand also

A) It would not be given in an open format like this. It should be done in a PM.

B) (looking back at A) No one is going to help a noob or someone else in a PM that they do not "know"

I know it is a pain.... and it certainly is a bit of mystery even though many have posted informative threads to help understand it, BUT.... it is just a matter of time until we get a little higher on the tree!

Cheers :)

G

·
I would advise against trying to sneak them back into the country. He may get away with it, or he may not. Its probably not worth the risk just for a box of cigars.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
A suggestion:

If you do decide to have your father get some havanas for you, make sure HE knows the risk involved. You being the one asking your dad to do this wont get in trouble if he is caught, your dad will the one in trouble.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol
well yea. I'm not gonna let my dad do it without understanding the risk involved
he is my father after all.
but he knows the deal.
he's been around the block a time or two
;)

·
-
11,412 Posts
i was going to reply, but wetterhorn and franksmith have done excellent jobs already.

i will add, i'm glad that litehedded took it the right way and didn't get all huffy like some recently banned people have done.

basically, good to see civilities again.

nice job on the push down the slope, franksmith.

G

·
IHT said:
i will add, i'm glad that litehedded took it the right way and didn't get all huffy like some recently banned people have done.

basically, good to see civilities again.
My thoughts exactly- what a relief.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts