Cigar Forums banner

Question for the "Ages"

Tags
ages question
848 views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  El Abogado Fuerte 
#1 ·
As a new "newbie" I've been scouring the net for a humidor. I'm looking for pointers and product recommendations on a box in the 100 - 150 size range up to $300 or so in price.

I appreciate any thoughts. I'm starting to go on overload.

Doug

#3 ·
Welcome to the CS

as a Noob you will find these phrases helpful in your journey through the jungle.

use the search field
smoke what you enjoy
habanos are illegal in the united states.

but i would try cheaphumidors.com

rob

#7 ·
smokinpoke said:
Welcome to the CS

as a Noob you will find these phrases helpful in your journey through the jungle.

use the search field
smoke what you enjoy
habanos are illegal in the united states.

but i would try cheaphumidors.com

rob
cheaphumidors - will check them out - Tks

#8 ·
If I were you I'd take Baric's advice and buy the biggest cooler you can find. Spend the rest of the money on gars.

If you must get a humi the Vicksburg is the way to go.

#12 ·
Welcome to CS!

Buying a humidor is a serious step, so having the best knowledge possible is essential in choosing a humidor that not only fits your needs but doesn't break your bank.

The keys points in choosing a quality humidor:

1.) Size. This is tricky because most places list the size by "Cigar Count". The estimates on how many cigars the humidor they are selling varies greatly. IGNORE the "Cigar Count" and look at the actual dimensions. When comparing two humidors, multiply the L x W x H to get the cubic inches and then compare them.

2.) Gauging quality is tough when viewing humidors online but there are a couple of things you can look for.

A.) The first thing to watch out for is using any wood other than Spanish Cedar for the inside lining. You'll be amazed at how many places don't!

B.) The second is the use of acrylic instead of glass for glass top models or screen printing a "wood inlay" instead actually using wood. If the manufacturer skimps on the glass or inlay, they probably skimped somewhere else as well.

C.) Joinery. The best quality humidors use dove tails or splines and are made of exotic woods. An affordable humidor should have at least mitered corners "butt joints" are no good and should be avoided. Listen for the “whoosh” when you drop the lid. The lid shouldn't’t slam shut but have some resistance from the inside lip. Also try the “dollar bill test” – place a dollar with half in the humidor and half out, close the lid of the humidor. Then try to pull the dollar out, obviously the more resistance on the dollar the better the seal.

D.) The pictures. Look closely at the pictures, you can often tell how "cheap" a humidor is if you look closely at the finish and hardware shown in the pics.

3.) Beware of inflated shipping! Humidors can be pricey to ship depending on the size but a humidor that costs $20 shouldn't have shipping cost of $35. An average desktop humidor (13"x10"x6") shouldn't run more than about $15 shipped within the US via Priority Mail. If someone won't openly list their shipping prices, keep looking. This particularly is important when buying off of Ebay.

4.) Check their return policy! Avoid "no returns if box is open" or "all sale are final".

5.) Also, go bigger! Everyone who gets into cigars eventually ends up buy a larger humidor down the road. You have done the research and are finally making a decision to buy a quality humidor, you might as well buy one that you can "grow into" instead of starting over a few months from now.

6.) It's a weird phenomenon that occurs with cigar smokers. We will spend a fortune on cigars but when it comes to the two most important aspects of properly maintaining their collection (ie: humidors & humidification) we suddenly turn thrifty. This is DEFINITELY not the time to sacrifice quality for a deal if you intend on storing cigars for any period of time, whether a month, months or years….don't cheap out on your humidor or it's humidification!

7.) Seasoning: Make sure you "season" it properly by placing a bowl of distilled water in the closed humidor for about 2 weeks (sometimes longer). Be patient! A new wooden humidor can take up to 3-4 weeks to stabilize. Don't try to rush a new humidor....

Hope this helps and happy smoking my friends!

Mark

#13 ·
n2advnture said:
Welcome to CS!

Buying a humidor is a serious step, so having the best knowledge possible is essential in choosing a humidor that not only fits your needs but doesn't break your bank.

1.) Size. This is tricky because most places list the size by "Cigar Count". The estimates on how many cigars the humidor they are selling varies greatly. IGNORE the "Cigar Count" and look at the actual dimensions. When comparing two humidors, multiply the L x W x H to get the cubic inches and then compare them.

2.) Gauging quality is tough when viewing humidors online but there are a couple of things you can look for.

A.) The first thing to watch out for is using any wood other than Spanish Cedar for the inside lining. You'll be amazed at how many places don't!

B.) The second is the use of acrylic instead of glass for glass top models or screen printing a "wood inlay" instead actually using wood. If the manufacturer skimps on the glass or inlay, they probably skimped somewhere else as well.

C.) Joinery. The best quality humidors use dove tails or splines and are made of exotic woods. An affordable humidor should have at least mitered corners "butt joints" are no good and should be avoided. Listen for the "whoosh" when you drop the lid. The lid shouldn't't slam shut but have some resistance from the inside lip. Also try the "dollar bill test" - place a dollar with half in the humidor and half out, close the lid of the humidor. Then try to pull the dollar out, obviously the more resistance on the dollar the better the seal.

D.) The pictures. Look closely at the pictures, you can often tell how "cheap" a humidor is if you look closely at the finish and hardware shown in the pics.

3.) Beware of inflated shipping! Humidors can be pricey to ship depending on the size but a humidor that costs $20 shouldn't have shipping cost of $35. An average desktop humidor (13"x10"x6") shouldn't run more than about $15 shipped within the US via Priority Mail. If someone won't openly list their shipping prices, keep looking. This particularly is important when buying off of Ebay.

4.) Check their return policy! Avoid "no returns if box is open" or "all sale are final".

5.) Also, go bigger! Everyone who gets into cigars eventually ends up buy a larger humidor down the road. You have done the research and are finally making a decision to buy a quality humidor, you might as well buy one that you can "grow into" instead of starting over a few months from now.

6.) It's a weird phenomenon that occurs with cigar smokers. We will spend a fortune on cigars but when it comes to the two most important aspects of properly maintaining their collection (ie: humidors & humidification) we suddenly turn thrifty. This is DEFINITELY not the time to sacrifice quality for a deal if you intend on storing cigars for any period of time, whether a month, months or years….don't cheap out on your humidor or it's humidification!

7.) Seasoning: Make sure you "season" it properly by placing a bowl of distilled water in the closed humidor for about 2 weeks (sometimes longer). Be patient! A new wooden humidor can take up to 3-4 weeks to stabilize. Don't try to rush a new humidor....

Mark
Mark,

Thanks, make total sense. I appreciate it.

Doug

#14 ·
n2advnture said:
Welcome to CS!

C.) Joinery. The best quality humidors use dove tails or splines and are made of exotic woods. An affordable humidor should have at least mitered corners "butt joints" are no good and should be avoided. Listen for the "whoosh" when you drop the lid. The lid shouldn't't slam shut but have some resistance from the inside lip. Also try the "dollar bill test" - place a dollar with half in the humidor and half out, close the lid of the humidor. Then try to pull the dollar out, obviously the more resistance on the dollar the better the seal.

Mark
+1000
couldn't have said it better myself:D

#15 ·
I agree with the cooler idea somewhat. If I were to start all over again I would have just bought a cooler for storage and just bought a 50 count to put an assortment of smokes to be smoked next and just refill it with smokes from the cooler as needed. Unless I decided to just drop a large nut off the bat and buy a cabinet. Just my .02
Cheaphumidors.com seems to be a good resource. Believe it or not I picked up a couple desktop humis off of CBid dirt cheap. Just have to be patient and wait for the deals. Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you finally make your purchase. I'm just a heethan waiting for the **** thread!!!!:dr

#16 ·
I would say to get a cheaper humidor for your first, in case you make some mistakes that comprimise the humi. No matter what people tell you, chances are you will make mistakes along the line.

My first was about $200, if I recall - not an Elie Bleu or Ashton, but a really nice Savoy. I overhumidified it after a spate of dry cigars and rusted some of the hardware and got a little mold in places. I cleaned it up, but it isn't 'pristine' any longer.

My advice is to gingerly remove the humidification unit and hygrometer that comes with whatever humi you buy, and deposit both directly in the trash. Buy beads and a digital and follow the directions of those with experience at seasoning and you'll be on your way. (hint - there's a fast way to get to 70 rh, but you will not stabilize the humidor that way. It will take 30+ days to do it right)

After a few years at it, I'm looking at an Ashton, and a maybe a cabinet someday after having had two cheaper desktops that I have "practiced" on.

Oh, and as a recommendation - my Savoys have worked well for moderately-priced humidors. Good veneer, decent seal, good joints - http://www.holts.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/access_brand.d2w/report?cgrfnbr=183628&merfnbr=76&value_plus=&show_acc_bar=yes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.