Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here noticed that the Cuban Bolivar Belicoso Fino wrapper color seems to vary? Some are light and some dark almost like a maduro. I noticed that the darker ones have better flavor. Anyone here know why this is? Also, has anyone else noticed the flavor difference?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry should have been clearer. They vary from box to box. I noticed this difference in Munich Germany at two different allegedly official Habanos dealers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's not just the BBF.

Many, if not most, Habanos vary from box to box and year to year.

Some people prefer the darker wrappers, others insist on the lighter ones. A good tobacconist will even know his client's preferences, and ensure that's what they get.

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
Habana Mike is right. Example - Monte #2's vary from light to dark (almost maduro sometimes). I personally think they are much better with a lighter wrapper.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I've seen a wrapper difference in the same box. I have a box of PSD4s at home and some are light up to a nice brown. Not Maduro dark, but not light either. <shruggs shoulders>????

:pu

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
There should be little to no difference in wrapper color for cigars in the same box. They are sorted carefully before boxing. Habanos will tell you thats one of the ways to spot fakes quickly. It's not a perfect science though and is done by humans so there is a chance for error. Do you trust where they came from?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coppertop,

I don’t know if I trust the tobacconist or not. They were both very upscale and all they carried was Cubans. The shops were in the shopping district in Munich Germany. At any rate the lighter wrapper BBF were not nearly as good as the darker wrapper ones. With the plethora of fakes on the market I think it is not worth the effort to obtain Cubans even in non-embargo countries which is a shame because I sure love this cigar.

:confused:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
David,

Did you check the bottom for a month and year? If the lighter BBF was newer that could be the reason you didn't like it as much. The BBF I just bought in Regensburg is dark....and I f'ed up and didn't check the month/year. I was all to giddy over the Mag46 in my greedy american hands. Been wanting to try a MAg for months....and I will post my review of it. I doubt they were fake, but one never knows. You just have to be careful.

Are you still in Germany?

If so where?

:pu

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I was in Munich for 4 days in October and loved it. I am back in the States now. The German people, though stoic, are really great. I hope to return sometime over the summer. I was surprised at how inexpensive the BBF was even with the poor exchange rate--assuming of course they were real. I did not buy any because of fears about the authenticity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts