Cigar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off this isn’t going to be a question regarding “how to season a humi”. This is more a poll as to “if” I should season a humi. I’m guessing the obvious answer is “if you think you should, then do it”. Here is my quandary.

I just bout a vintage Dunhill humi. The seller said that it had served him well for over 20 years and someone before him. When the humi arrived I placed a Boveda butler in it. The butler had been in my 500ct chest humi. I removed all humidification from the Dunhill before placing the butler in it. Over the last 10 days or so the butler hasn’t changed from the original stats from the 500ct. I’ve ordered a new butler (should be here soon) for the Dunhill. That being said here are my thoughts/questions.

1. Should I calibrate the new butler and see what it reads before I season?

2. Should I season then wait for the humi to re-regulate itself with the butler?

3. If the calibrated butler reads spot on for a week or more should I just let things ride?

·
Super Moderator
8,337 Posts
Not sure I understand. What possible disadvantage would there be to seasoning it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disadvantage would be time for the humi to regulate itself. It could take weeks for the rh to go down if the wood over saturates.

Not saying time is an issue. More or less “if it ain’t broken don’t fix it” issue I guess

·
Super Moderator
8,337 Posts
Disadvantage would be time for the humi to regulate itself. It could take weeks for the rh to go down if the wood over saturates.

Not saying time is an issue. More or less “if it ain’t broken don’t fix it” issue I guess
I mean, unless you're going to use the "kitchen sink sprayer" method, I can't see it being a problem. I have never known a humidor to take weeks to settle back because of "over saturated" wood when passively seasoned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the humidor was recently used before you received it, it may not need to be seasoned. That would account for the Boveda Butler’s reading.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I seasoned my chest humi the third shot up to like 80%. Living in a temperant rainforest it’s always damp. It took my chest humi at least 2 weeks to regulate itself. Granted I may have seasoned it wrong idk. But it’s dialed in now

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
I season with 84% Bovedas 4 weeks usually does the trick, then bring back down to 65RH and add the cigars and monitor for a few weeks. I prefer 62-65 RH

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve never used the Boveda method. I’ve always saturated some sponges put them on plates and let the wood absorb the distilled water

1 - 10 of 10 Posts