Cigar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a lovely cigar this was when I removed it from the gift package generously sent by "Paker" (name changed to protect him from moochers).

The stick, perfectly constructed, was made at the RyJ factory in the "difficult" year of 1999. But there were no difficulties with this smoke save a wee bit of tightness in the draw in the first few minutes (this soon disappeared and gave way to a perfect draw). After a few minutes of merely delicious Havana tobacco, the cigar opened up to yield palate-caressing flavors of melded toast and cream. It was a medium-strong smoke, but perfectly harmonious and a great pleasure to taste. In fact, I had trouble paying attention to my book rather than to the cigar.

Amazingly, this gran corona lasted all of an hour and a half at my UPR of 1/minute.

This Q d'O, at least the one g.c. I had (my first sample of this brand), is definitely a "go to" cigar. It has (for me) the perfect size and feel in the hand, is ready to smoke now, gives a lot of flavor and smoking time for the money, and seems to be below the radar screen of many Havanophiles.

I have been told that Q d'Os are made for the French market. I'd be interested in knowing if that is true, and also hearing opinions about other Q d'O vitolas and more recent production years (I'd like to get a box for laying down).

·
Registered
417 Posts
I love the GC as well as the Corona Claro and the Imperiales-great flavors, especially after a few years of ageing. Find the GC to be the spiciest of the QD'O line.

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
Ditto on the GC

·
Block Watcher
3,996 Posts
Re: Quai d'Orsay Gran Corona

I had one tonight that was gifted to me at or around SoCal-- Danm...
Another tasty cigar to add to the list...

Thank you whoever gifted this to me. I'll try to keep better track of what from whom next year. The cigar was flawless and went very well indeed w/ a mojito.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts

Great review. For me, these are an excellent "change-of-pace" cigar. Something different from my usual, everyday smokes.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

Quai D'Orsay is mainly marketed for the French. It's a mild-medium body cigar with creamy undertones. A wonderful brand that is seldom talked about and reviewed.

Thank you for the review and I hope you enjoyed the cigar. :tu

·
Registered
4,101 Posts

Been wanting to try the Gran Corona for some time. The QdO Corona is one of my favorite cigars for sure. The Imperiales is a little uneventful; perfect construction and burn, but no flavor really, just cream and ease of smoke. Will have to try visit the Imperiales again. QdO's get overlooked because they are not as strong as what many associate with a Habanos cigar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts