Cigar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a recent series in the local paper on aging well, here is a little tidbit,

"Of course, some people do everything right and still die young - a random cell, a bit of faulty-heart "wiring," inhaling a carcinogen or getting hit by a truck.

Jeanne Calment, on the other hand, made it to 122 despite smoking for 100 years, Olshansky notes".

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001790118_agelong13m0.html

Like Groucho Marx said, "I'm going to live forever, or die trying".

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
In the past century alone, we've gone from an average life span of 47 to about 77.

a little off subject, but i have been thinking about this kind of thing for awhile now. i'm in my early 50s and, even tho i have almost complete autonomy at work, the bullsh*t i encounter from time to time wears me down. it wears me down to the point where i think i'd like to retire now. well, my friends are around my age + or - 5 yrs and they're at the same point... somehow they've risen to a point in their jobs where it's mostly bullsh*t with just a little bit of the stuff that turned them on when they were first starting out. in fact, one of my friends recently put himself in the hospital after a nervous breakdown... he was freaking out because he felt like he couldn't keep up the level of work needed to bring in the cash (he's a tax lawyer). so i've been thinking that, not long ago, most people were either dead by now, or well into retirement.... maybe our life span has increased, but our tolerance for bullsh*t sure hasn't increased. anyway, it's the cigar at the end of the day that changes everything and helps me cope.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
robmcd said:
.... maybe our life span has increased, but our tolerance for bullsh*t sure hasn't increased. anyway, it's the cigar at the end of the day that changes everything and helps me cope.

That and Dr. Phil! ;)... Actually what you've stated is the same sentiments of my crew @ work, ages 47,48 and 57. We all smoke cigars then call "Bullshit" on everything, then once we sort it out we can tolerate, even humor what comes our way.

Geez, I used to chase women. I am getting old. :confused: I still have another 65 years to sort it out.:)

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Right now in my life I am as tired as you guys of the bullsheet, from about 10 in the morning on all i can think about is my after dinner cigar. Works better than any drug to relax and calm me after a hectic day. I will probably quit smoking cigars on the day I die, unless of course there is a great humidor in the sky, I'm hoping. Long ashes and smoke rings.:D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Damn... and I thought I was the only one that thinks about having a cigar all day. If I eat a big lunch, then it's even worse:w No matter where I am, where I'm working, or what happened, a great cigar will always put me at ease.

Believe it or not, the couple herfs I try to attend each year are some of the few things that I look forward to each year.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts