Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am amazed at this phenomenon.

Before I joined here, I had understood there sometimes "blowing out" was necessary, but I never did it. I did NOT know, however, of purging by "blowing out while having your lighter lit at the end".

This really, REALLY adds so much to the enjoyment of my cigars. I probably purge about 3 to 5 times during a smoke and I'm still in amazement at the difference it makes--especially when the cigar starts to get short.

Now a question for your purging experts. How LONG do you keep blowing? And...do you keep the cigar to the lighter the whole time you do it? I have been blowing until I get a heavy flame...then I remove the lighter and continue blowing gently with the same breath until the flame extinguishes itself. Sometimes this is a considerable length of time. Well..."considerable" is a relative term...it's probably only 12-15 seconds.

·
-
11,412 Posts
if it's a decent cigar, it only needs 3-5 purges.
and you're doing it like i do it. once you light it, you can take away the torch and let it burn on its own.

some non-cubans that i like i sometimes have to take 3 breathes before the fire goes out... but i don't know if you have to blow until the flame goes out, as i haven't noticed too much difference.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Wow! Have smoked literally thousands of cigars & never purged in this way. It really smooths out the flavor & improves the aroma. :D

Thanx!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why do you need to purge a Cigar? And could someone explain how and when to do it. I am a novice smoker so but gentle on my, I am very sensitive, you know ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dam I never heard of this........ I will try it in about 2 minutes, I gotta smoke one to check it out!.....OK Iwas going to smoke one anywa.

Jim

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
This is really INCREDIBLE!! Ten plus years of smoking and I hadn't heard of it before. Maybe cigar snobs and purists are against it, but we are Lowland Stogie Gorillas, right?

I can proudly let you I tried this on a AF Hemmingway Best Seller yesterday and it allowed me to smoke the sucker down much further than I usually could.

When the cigar hit the point that I usually let the cigar go out due to built up nicotine and tar, I instead purged it. The next draw of smoke was incredibly cool and thick smoke, yet still had 90% of the flavor the cigar had before I had purged it.

Most of my cigars generally drop ash 2-3 times per smoke. I may just try purging after the ash drops as a habit. What do you think?

THANKS CIGARHOSS!!
Matt

·
Registered
153 Posts
txmatt said:
This is really INCREDIBLE!! Ten plus years of smoking and I hadn't heard of it before. Maybe cigar snobs and purists are against it, but we are Lowland Stogie Gorillas, right?

I can proudly let you I tried this on a AF Hemmingway Best Seller yesterday and it allowed me to smoke the sucker down much further than I usually could.

When the cigar hit the point that I usually let the cigar go out due to built up nicotine and tar, I instead purged it. The next draw of smoke was incredibly cool and thick smoke, yet still had 90% of the flavor the cigar had before I had purged it.

Most of my cigars generally drop ash 2-3 times per smoke. I may just try purging after the ash drops as a habit. What do you think?

THANKS CIGARHOSS!!
Matt
Thread jack here.

Matt, where in McKinney do you live? I was raised on Hamilton and Wilcox streets

End thread jack

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've always purged by blowing through the cigar after the 1/2 way point, but didn't know about lighting the gasses until I read it here last year. Of COURSE it's a cool trick, but I thought it was more just for show than practical. Since others have expressed their opinions that lighting burns off more gasses than purging without lighting, I've been testing both methods.

I've come to the conclusion that lighting it doesn't actually burn off more gasses than not lighting, but the flame going out is a visual reference that shows that the gasses, etc. have been adequately evacuated from the cigar. i.e- It tells you when to stop.

my $.02

-Quixote

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
CgarWyzrd said:
Thread jack here.
Matt, where in McKinney do you live? I was raised on Hamilton and Wilcox streets
End thread jack
Hey CgarWyzrd,

The cross streets for me are Virginia and Lake Forest. Lake Forest is a pretty new street though, an older one would be Custer (FM1428). I am pretty much on the far West edge of McKinney. I am in the Stonebridge Ranch area. I have just lived in McKinney 2 years now, was in Plano 4 years before that. I moved down from Ohio in 1998.

Matt

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just tried it for the first time yesterday evening with a Sancho Panza Escudera...whadda ya know...looked like I torched off a flame thrower...maybe the Makers Mark I was drinkin helped to feed some alcohol to the flame.hee hee,but it did smooth out the taste for sure.Got a Patron Magnum staged for tonights fire works...a 9" cigar should provide plenty of fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.