Cigar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These coronas gordas, which I believe were recommended by THE GOOSE, came from a cabinet made in 2001 at the Villa Clara factory.
They are not discussed much in this (or any group), but are known for their strength: some say they must be aged for a decade. They are firm, well-constructed cigars with a medium colorado wrapper, a slight sheen of oil, and the famous "caca de vaca" barnyard smell.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Punch SS#2, Part 2

Sorry; for some reason this message posted itself! To continue. Ignition and draw were perfect--it is a pleasure to get a Habano before 2002 with such a good draw, which continued unabated to the nub. Burn was fairly even but relighting was necessary once (as usual, right after tipping the ash). The smoke volume was tremendous, and the flavor outstanding: it is a huge, strong cigar but with a sharp, slightly sweet flavor that I've had before: like cotton candy without the sugar. The strength gained during the 65 minutes it took to smoke the cigar.
The ask was dark, but firm.

Conclusion: while the cigar is not yet ready, as the strength and flavors are still not in balance, it is still a pleasure to smoke and seems to need only a year or two rather than a decade. My only problem was that it was "light", i.e. smoked too fast. Perhaps I've been spoiled by petit coronas and coronas that burn for over an hour, but 65 minutes for a corona gorda seems a bit short (I puff once per minute). Nevertheless, it will be fascinating to see these develop over the years, and I recommend them.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
These are a great cigar. The 2001s that I have are good, but in need of much age. I also love the SS #2s. Although not as strong, I find them to be very tasty.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I'm smoking one these right now--almost down to the nub as I write while sitting outside working on a paper dismantling the 2nd Circuit's opinion in the Cubatabaco - General Cigar Cohiba case.

What a great cigar. This is from 2001 and the draw is perfect. This is the first time I've smoke this particular vitola and am truly amazed at the flavor and strength is has for such a light wrapper. Very complex with notes of nuts and spice. It reminds me of cigars I used to smoke six or seven years ago--great Cuban twang. Yum.

·
CS Cog
1,097 Posts
I had mine from Coppertop's sampler.

Great draw... perfect. Started with a rich, creamy texture with some hidden flavors which just got richer toward the middle. Then it picked up some spice and an earthy flavor and continued toward the end. Great flavor I must say.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I just got a cab of these from 01 and absolutely love them. I'm sure they will continue to get better given the strength of these cigars, but I really like them a lot right now. Honestly if they didn't change at all I'd be very happy with them. I've never smoked one with 10 years plus though, maybe I'd be saying they need more time also? ;)

·
Will Work for Boli GM's..
1,909 Posts
Someone recently gifted me with a Punch SS#2 from 1998...looking forward to burning it down in a few weeks...

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
Re: Punch SS#2, Part 2

Dipteran said:
Burn was fairly even but relighting was necessary once (as usual, right after tipping the ash).
I have mentioned this a few times and it has helped a few people, so I will re-state it here. If you are tired of cigars going awry after tipping the ash, try to plan for the tip and not try to get the longest ash and then tip it at the last second. By plan for it, I mean when you are going to ash the cigar, precede this moment by one long, hot draw, then follow it with about 5 normal draws. You will notice that when you lightly tap it, it will most likely break at the point that the hot puff was made, leaving you 4-5 puffs worth of ash still clinging and hopefully in a complete ring around the cigar. You will notice that it is the ragged break at the coal you get when you tip at some random time that burns poorly. Once you do this a few times you will quickly see the benefits of planning for the break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts