Cigar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some history: The Punch brand was established around 1840 (it was around then, 20-30 years +- many famous brands also was established for example Partagas in the late 1820´s and Hoyo de Monterrey in the mid 1860´s) with the idea of going for the brittish market. Punch was a funny/comic- magazine (some sort of early MAD perhaps) and one of the characters in the magazine was Mr. Punch who always had his cigar in his hand. A picture of Mr. Punch is still on the inside of the Punch-box.

To the subject: Punch Punch. This was my second Punch Punch. I tried one earlier about a month ago and wasnt that impressed but still I liked the nutty charchter of the cigar. Very nutty flavour in other word, with a little bit of wood and a very pleasant peppery finnish. The nutty flavour are walnut/hazelnut/almond-like. A very kind of christmas-flavours. I would recommend this cigar for christmas, when You usually (in Sweden at least) eat a lot of nuts. (Yummy!). And when you eat somekind of rice-porridge with only one almond in it. The one who gets the almond is a lucky one. If you not are familiar with this tradition I recommend that you see the movie "Fanny & Alexander" by Ingmar Bergman, where they celebrate a traditional swedish christmas. OK, everything isnt what you call normal in this movie... :)

I give the Punch Punch 4.5-4.7 out of 5. A really great cigar in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Punch Punch -a knock-out!

Had 2 of those yesterday. The first one I smoked I felt a bit dizzy after that. I guess I got a little buzz. But yesterday... I got a very bad buzz when I got to bed, felt a bit sick, not nauseau or so but... Last time I got a buzz was from a fresh custom-rolled salomones, then I thought I really was going to die. Due to the size that I wasnt use to I thought, but I had no such feelings when I smoked my first Lusitania... Anyway what Im trying to say is, Is there more nicotine in fresh/new cigars that are 1-3 months old? The Punch Punch was from Jun 04.

Just thought that I had to get this off my chest. Havent had anything better to do today anyway, because I still feel somekind of a buzz from the Punch Punch and therefor havent had any desire to go out for a smoke... Its what you call a bad day in other words...

OK!

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Re: Punch Punch

Very nice cigars. I have some that are a little young. I did noticed the nutty taste you described, but it was a bit muted. I can't wait until these get some age on them.

·
Registered
756 Posts

these are defintely the 'staple' of my collection. probably have at least 1 a week. also known as my go-to smoke :)
so far i have tried to gobble up every box or cab from 98 of these that i can find for my humi.
jimmy

·
Registered
921 Posts

El Rey Del Mundo -
When you smoked, did you have an empty stomach?
Lots of caffeine?
This could make you sick.
One cure for the sickness is "sugar".
Drink a soda, eat a cookie.
I doubt it was the cigar.

Jimmy -
You should be pulling out that ole winter coat pretty soon.
If I recall your wedding is also coming up.
Hope you are well, best wishes on your wedding.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Bruce5 said:
El Rey Del Mundo -
When you smoked, did you have an empty stomach?
Lots of caffeine?
This could make you sick.
One cure for the sickness is "sugar".
Drink a soda, eat a cookie.
I doubt it was the cigar.
I usually smoke 2 hours after a meal... Caffeine? Well, I drink alot of Pepsi and I get most of my sugar from the Pepsi too... Except from an occasionaly icecream or so...

I must be off now another Punch Punch is waiting...

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts

Bruce5 said:
Jimmy -
That's right Jimmy!! You're getting married soon Bro' [CONGRATS!!], then you're off for your honeymoon & some golfing (& cigaring).
All my best wishes to you & your bride.

Oh, for my .02, I think that the Punch Punch Cabinet (50) is absolutely awesome -- the ones I've smoked from 3/04 (which are now going through a little sick phase) were so right on.

Oh, and one more thing, nicotine is a digestive stimulant that's why cigars seem to go so much better after a good meal -- the fuller the meal, the better & stronger the cigar.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

MoTheMan said:
That's right Jimmy!! You're getting married soon Bro' [CONGRATS!!], then you're off for your honeymoon & some golfing (& cigaring).

Oh, for my .02, I think that the Punch Punch Cabinet (50) is absolutely awesome -- the ones I've smoked from 3/04 (which are now going through a little sick phase) were so right on.

Oh, and one more thing, nicotine is a digestive stimulant that's why cigars seem to go so much better after a good meal -- the fuller the meal, the better & stronger the cigar.
Yeah Good Luck Jimmy! Hope everything turns out good for you!

Sounds great that the Punch is working fine. I havent really any complaints about mine either, just that horse-kick buzz that knocked me out. :)

Thanks for the info on the digestive-bit...

·
Registered
756 Posts

Bruce5 said:
Jimmy -
thank you all for the well wishes. yes the wedding is coming up, nov 6th. gonna be gone traveling the whole month, should be awesome! some scuba diving, cruiseing, golfing, smoking....other honeymoon activities hopefully ;)

and also bruce, no way on the winter coat, there's still 3+ months of good golf left to be had :D

jimmy

·
Registered
182 Posts

Love the Punch Punch ! One of my 'go to' cigars !

I can't agree/disagree with the 'nut' characteristic. I am not the best at describing flavors, and I think that flavors are very subjective (e.g., what you ate/drank, etc.)

I personally find them kinda sweet, with some spice (but not really pepper...). I like the flavor profile, and it is a nice change compared to some of my other favorite smokes (padron anniv., cohiba robustos, best sellers, monte #2).

I also agree that they are great with some age. My favorite Punch Punch had 5+ years on it before I smoked it. Now, if I can only hold on some others that long....

·
-
11,412 Posts

i did a report on where the brand names came from.

i found that "Punch" was a puppet in english plays... he had a dog that wore a clowns collar (like the one bozo wears), and he's always smoking a cigar...

so, pretty much the same thing you described.

i have yet to have one of these, but coppertop has one resting in his humi. i'm not a fan of "nutty" flavors, especially if they're like hazelnuts...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Call me a wimp, but I have never understood the allure of the Punch line. I just don't get it. I have found them to sort of wash out as they age...perhaps it is just me but that's my experience.

By the way, I'm putting on my asbestos suit...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

MoTheMan said:

To me, cigars seem stronger in taste and in buzz factor (nicotine) before a meal than after. I smoke enough Cuban cigars that I only feel a little nicotine buzz if the cigar is young and I have an empty stomach. I also feel the flavors come through stronger on a clean palate than after a meal.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

Lamar said:
Call me a wimp, but I have never understood the allure of the Punch line. I just don't get it. I have found them to sort of wash out as they age...perhaps it is just me but that's my experience.

By the way, I'm putting on my asbestos suit...
I tend to agree with you as far as the Punch line goes, but I do like the Punch Punch a lot. Other than that, the rest of the line doesn't do a whole lot for me. I find the flavor of the Punch Punch, kind of unique in it's sweet taste and aroma. Punch churchills can be very good, just not after a heavy meal.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Fredster, I am like you in that I have smoked several punches (mostly singles) but I did get a few boxes of rs 12 and split a cab of punch petit punches, all of which were good to me. have you tried the smaller punches? btw all of these were from 98 (damn good year imo).

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

Enyafan said:
Fredster, I am like you in that I have smoked several punches (mostly singles) but I did get a few boxes of rs 12 and split a cab of punch petit punches, all of which were good to me. have you tried the smaller punches? btw all of these were from 98 (damn good year imo).
I had a cab of Punch petits a while back, I believe they were 98 or 99. Very enjoyable med bodied smoke. They had a sweet woodsy flavor and aroma. I've had a few Punch coronas that were ok, but thats the only smaller ones that I've smoked. I do like the churchills better than the Romeo's, and find them kind of similar strength wise. They are very complex and delicious with age, especially the cab. selection. The Punch Punch was the only one I really flipped over, best corona extra IMO.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Isnt the Punch Punch a corona gorda, correct me if Im wrong. I felt that the ring gauge on Punch Punch was bigger than the ring gauge on H. Upmann Magnum 46. Corona extra is perhaps the sam thing?

·
Registered
21,743 Posts

El Rey del Mundo said:
Isnt the Punch Punch a corona gorda, correct me if Im wrong. I felt that the ring gauge on Punch Punch was bigger than the ring gauge on H. Upmann Magnum 46. Corona extra is perhaps the sam thing?
Yes, the Punch Punch is a corona gorda and is the same ring size as the Mag 46.

Check here for a complete reference for sizes. This page may come up in Spanish, just click on English in the right hand corner.

http://www.habanos.com/vitolario.asp

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

El Rey del Mundo said:
Gorda is an adjective or adjetivo in Spanish meaning thick or big. A thick or big corona. Normal corona is 5 1/2X 42. Your Punch Punch may have appeared bigger because it was box pressed? I've noticed when you have a loose filled stick and it gets box pressed it flattens looking like a larger ring guage, but all corona gordas (Cuban ) are 46 ring guage. Corona extra (Bolivar for example) is similar 5 5/8 X 44.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.