Cigar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bit of a drive home tonite from a jobsite and my companion was the tried and true Punch Punch. Always a favorite. Perfect draw and construction. Taste before lighting was a subtle spicy quality, very promising. Nice even burn with a lovely ash. A great smoke. This was from a box gifted by Drill and every one has been a treasure. Ah, stuck in traffic with conservative talk radio and a great smoke, life is good!!

·
still puffin
1,001 Posts
ahhhh steve...tap your cigar 3 times and say theres no place like club stogie.

glad to see a review on the habanos side...have had 4 or 5 punch punch's from an '02 box(of somebody elses,that always makes em taste better!!!)and as i said when i smoked em...probably the best punch cigar i have tried.havnt tried to many punch cigars but these were goood.

derrek :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
thanks for the review. these are on my 'gonna try soon' list.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've said it before and i'll say it again.

"I never smoked a punch i didnt like!"

glad that box was a good one steve
and that reminds me it is getting close to that secret santa time again aint it.

k

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't Know why? But I seem to have developed a craving For this size and age of a cigar on the weekends.PP"s, Super coronas,etc. After supper today I'm thinking an 03 Mag 46 would be the ticket. Hope they haven't gotton sick on me.

Steve, I Always enjoy your reviews.

Thanks,

Todd

·
-
11,419 Posts
Re: Punch Punch 02

Punch Punch Punch
'98 from cab

BS that doesn't matter but people include in their reviews anyway:
lightish brown, great looking cap, smells like cow-poo.

on to what matters...
clipped well, great draw, dry flavors are similar to the smell (cow-poo, what everyone is smoking these days).

so i'm up here in alaska, getting kinda bored, walked over to the hotels visitors center and grabbed a sprite... got my sliding glass door open in the room, little floor fan blowing smoke around, no ashtray to be found (yes, a smoking room), so i'm using a coffee cup.

as i said, excellent draw. gobs and gobs of smoke. a bitter nutty earthy flavor, but the aroma is sweet. i know i shouldn't say bitter, but it has some bite to it on the initial draw into the mouth (now is when i could use "Jazznuts" vocabulary).

man, you'd think that by now i'd be able to nail a flavor i'm getting, but i can't. but now it dawns on me, it's a pepper flavor. a dry light peppery flavor.

aroma is very nice, ash is looking good, great burn.

(does anyone here own a log home? for some odd reason, i'd really love to own a rustic looking log home... i'm surfing log home sites right now.)

just knocked the ash off about 3/4" down, the roller did a great job.

very smooth.

been typing a lot, not smoking... still smooth, no real flavor changes. i might need to purge.

purged. damn. that is GOOOOOOD! not spicy, but some type of seasoning flavor. a little woody as well (never had 'woody' flavors before). smooth, of course. big hit of the typical cuban earthy flavors on that last pull.

cool. some creamy-ness stopped by for a visit. i love that cuban creamy feeling I get on the back of my throat from time to time... and that spicy/pepper/earthy/woody flavor on the finish. hard to pick what flavor i'm tasting from second to second on the finish... "complex"? nah... i'm just stoopud.

been about an inch smoked since i've written. lookin' at more log homes. needs a purge with about 1.5" of smokeable cigar left.

just your standard damn good cigar flavors from cuba... what else can i say? coffee grounds, earthy, a bit o' pepper (not much), and way back on the finish is that woody flavor. these are starting to grow on my. this is only my 2nd Punch PP.

too much reading/typing, not enough smoking. it almost went out on me. but that's another great thing about havanas, when they go out, just re-light them, they taste the same or better (unlike domestics that taste like ass when re-lit).

whew, the wimp in me is showing... starting to get knocked around with .5" left.

done...

hope this helps anyone that's interested in buying some. i know that getting that 5 pack off herfzilla had put the Punch brand on my list of "to buys".

·
Banned
6,267 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Punch Punch. I've only had one but it was one of those "instant classics". Its definitely on my list of smokes to buy.

·
Registered
921 Posts

I have seen a variation in the wrappers on these from a light brown to a medium dark reddish brown. My last box, long gone, was the latter of the two. These had a pleasant sweetness in the finish. I believe this was moslty due to the wrapper.
Great smokes. Got some on the way.

·
Registered
831 Posts

A local BOTL reintroduced me to these fine smokes. I bought a 50 cab to split last year and loved the 03's so much I went out and bought another 50 cab immediately and smoked through those like a chain smoker! lol I would finish one and then DAaamn it was just so good I went and got another and smoked it back to back. An awesome smoke and I highly recommend them as regular smokes or go to smokes as the flavor of creamy and woody flavors is one of my favs. A very consistant smoke. Man, after reading all these I'm jonesing for one....sigh...maybe Santa will send me some! :D

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Yeah I loved the PP that I smoked on IHTs back porch. Wonderful smoke. Damn I want so many different cigars.

·
-
11,419 Posts

coppertop said:
Yeah I loved the PP that I smoked on IHTs back porch. Wonderful smoke.
exactly the reason i went out and found a good BOTL to sell me a few to try before i buy. you're "mmmmmm" and "ooooh gawd this is better than sex with a parakeet" comments really sold me on these (i know how you love your budgies). and that's no :BS

·
-
11,419 Posts

had another last night... just read my review above.

these are definitely on my list to buy now.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts

filly said:
A local BOTL reintroduced me to these fine smokes. I bought a 50 cab to split last year and loved the 03's so much I went out and bought another 50 cab immediately and smoked through those like a chain smoker! lol I would finish one and then DAaamn it was just so good I went and got another and smoked it back to back. An awesome smoke and I highly recommend them as regular smokes or go to smokes as the flavor of creamy and woody flavors is one of my favs. A very consistant smoke. Man, after reading all these I'm jonesing for one....sigh...maybe Santa will send me some! :D
Thanks filly.
You reminded me of just how good these can be.
This evening smoked a 3/04 PP from a cab of 50. Had it on the way to a favorite watering hole for their Taco Tuesday. May, it was so good!! Smoked it down to the nub. Stood outside the main entrance in the drizzle just to get the last few stokes in before having to abandon it.

Now the place (Tortilla Flats in Mission Viejo) has outside decks, but heck, even with the space heaters, it was just a bit too cold & wet to be sitting outside. So I'll have to save one for another time.

·
Registered
921 Posts

MoTheMan said:
Thanks filly.
You reminded me of just how good these can be.
This evening smoked a 3/04 PP from a cab of 50. Had it on the way to a favorite watering hole for their Taco Tuesday. May, it was so good!! Smoked it down to the nub. Stood outside the main entrance in the drizzle just to get the last few stokes in before having to abandon it.

Now the place (Tortilla Flats in Mission Viejo) has outside decks, but heck, even with the space heaters, it was just a bit too cold & wet to be sitting outside. So I'll have to save one for another time.
Mo, Have to get you down here to visit. Smoked outside last night and every night so far this winter.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

My cab of DEC 03 P.P. was not that great. Not bad, but they were lacking some of the sweetness I've had on other batches. Bruce, the ones you gave me were very sweet. 02's I believe?
33 degrees here in Tampa last night. Glad I went with a heatpump and not a straight cool unit for my smoking room!

·
Registered
921 Posts

Fred -
I just got lucky with a good batch. At some point you will have to put that sofa back into your cigar room... Joe and I like to relax when we smoke. :w

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

Bruce5 said:
Fred -
I just got lucky with a good batch. At some point you will have to put that sofa back into your cigar room... Joe and I like to relax when we smoke. :w
If I can fit it in without loosing my message chair. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts