Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished smoking a PSD#4 from an ABR04 boxcode...this was my second from the box I purchased a few months back.The first was pretty much ROTT and didn't do much in the way of impressing me.However,the 2nd cigar from this box was fantastic...a real spice bomb that had a pretty darn full kick to it.I got a really pleasant buzz from it. :) It burned like a charm and was nubbed with about 3/4 of an inch to spare.Two big thumbs up!!
The last memorable encounter I had was with a 4 y/o PSD #4 that was so smooth and tasty,but not nearly as spicy and bold,yet was a complete joy to smoke.I was under the impression after that experience to say that these should be smoked with a few years on them,but after tonight.... :rolleyes:

My question for those with a little experience on the matter is,do you prefer your PSD #4's older or younger?

I think I might try to keep some newer ones and older ones from now on...they kick arse both ways,imo. :D

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I won't touch a SD4 unless it has at least 5 years of age on it. I don't care for the flavor of a young SD4.....just my personal taste.
After 5 years, these transform into a completely different cigar.....it loses it's woodyness and pepper and turns into rich, smooth tobacco flavors accented with cocoa and espresso! A VERY satisfiying smoke!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I like them both young and old. They are an aquired taste when young. I seem to have a problem letting any cigars sit around for long! If I want old ones, I have to hunt for aged stock.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
I recently had an older vintage of this cigar ('02). The comments that Bruce made regarding the decrease in the pepper taste was something I noticed on my palate, but not in my nose when I breathed the smoke through it. With that, it was in full force. Anyone else have this type of experience? With other cigars, the smoke doesn't burn in my nose if it doesn't burn in my mouth.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Most of the PSD4's I've smoked have been pretty much a year old or younger and I've loved em, lots of white pepper with a taste I liken to honeyed BBQ sauce. Revisited one from the same box now approaching 2yrs old and it fell flat, zero body, no pepper just real bland so I won't be touching these again for atleast another 6 months. I do have 5 left from 01' so it might be time to try one and see how a 6yr old PSD4 has aged and compare.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
I recently had an older vintage of this cigar ('02). The comments that Bruce made regarding the decrease in the pepper taste was something I noticed on my palate, but not in my nose when I breathed the smoke through it. With that, it was in full force. Anyone else have this type of experience? With other cigars, the smoke doesn't burn in my nose if it doesn't burn in my mouth.
Smoked an 01 PSD4 last night and all I tasted was muted harshness. Not pepper so much, and very little Partagas flavor. I'm just not a fan, and i've had ones that were alot older than 01.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
This is one cigar that has just gone down hill in quality. They use to be great really good young or old, but now the new ones are not that great at all, and finding old ones is quite difficult; not worth the hassle. I am giving up on this cigar; popularity was its downfall.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My first box of cigars was PSD#4's. I LOVED that partagas, chocolatey taste I had from the 97's and 98's. Then they went to hell in a handbasket for a few years so I quit smoking. When 2004 hit, the fresh one's were quite yummy as well! I have smoked a few of the vintage PSD4's and they were very nice but I didn't detect that peppery flavor that I love with them fresh. Maybe I just haven't smoked enough of these vintage yet!...Oh Cigar Texan.....ahem...!:r :ss

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
My first box of cigars was PSD#4's. I LOVED that partagas, chocolatey taste I had from the 97's and 98's. Then they went to hell in a handbasket for a few years so I quit smoking. When 2004 hit, the fresh one's were quite yummy as well! I have smoked a few of the vintage PSD4's and they were very nice but I didn't detect that peppery flavor that I love with them fresh. Maybe I just haven't smoked enough of these vintage yet!...Oh Cigar Texan.....ahem...!:r :ss
Agreed,

When it comes to PSD4's or Bolivar PC's: I like'em fresh. They tend to have a little zip to them that makes them very nice. That spice and fresh bread flavor just perks up nicely!

ATL

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Agreed,

When it comes to PSD4's or Bolivar PC's: I like'em fresh. They tend to have a little zip to them that makes them very nice. That spice and fresh bread flavor just perks up nicely!

ATL
I got about three puffs of toast when I lit the older one up, but then it wasn't something I really pick out after that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts