Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I become a more experienced cigar smoker and look for quality cigars at lower costs, I am wondering how the cost of a cigar affects our perception of the quality.

There are many instances where given similar quality products, one manufacturer sets their price higher than the others, which in turn leads us to believe that their product is the premium one.

What cigar companies do you think are guilty of this? I think a few of them are using relatively equal quality tobacco, but charging much higher prices. Do you think this is to give the illusion of being high-end?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I try very hard not to let price be an issue as to judging the quality of the smoke. When I go to purchase though it's a differnet story and like you Ialways look for cigars that are very good, yet don't break the bank.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Cigar marketing is big business. Every online site is pushing something even though they have many many different cigars. The "specials" and front page links to things are fairly obvious hints as to what they are. That being said, I think the online guys do a great job of periodically exposing us to smokes we normally wouldnt buy due to unfamiliarity or cost through their specials. Not every special is a good deal but sometimes they are outstanding 1/2 to 2/3 of the normal online discounted price. Relative differences in mfg. I'm not an expert on who uses what grade of tobacco in the great middle of cigar pricing $ 3-$8. I use this forum and top 25 to try and find the good nanners that other gorillas have found then try them myself.

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
Here's an example. I bought Padrons of all shapes and sizes 6 months ago thinking that they were a great brand. I personally don't like any Padron other than the 64 anny so I gave all of my other Padrons to friends. The Padrons were not cheap by any means but the quality is just OK. There is a perception that Padrons are a great cigar, I find them to be not great just good.

I recently bought a box of Cusano C10. Fairly inexpensive not a lot of hype, great cigar. If Cusano could create the perception that the C10 was great then they could charge Padron like prices. La Aroma de Cuba, great cigar med priced, if they could create the right perception then they could charge more.

I think that most cigar companies producing a similar quality product have approx the same cost factors to produce and market their product. The price is based on market economics, the buyers will eventually set the price by their willingness to purchase a product at a certain price. If Padrons are being bought off the shelves at a rate faster than expected then Padron will raise the price until the product purchases reach an expected level.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
So many factors affect the end price of cigars that I don't even want to get started trying to answer this question, but marketing & advertising costs, I believe, play a fairly large part in the end cost.
Packaging is another factor. Some boxes I've seen have got to almost cost more than the product in them.
Rarity of the leaf would be another cost factor. In reality, just because the leaf is in tighter supply doesn't especially make it better, but might make it a bit more expensive.
Ageing has to play a huge role in the costs.

I have come to believe that it is a distinct possibility that the manufacturers help bankroll sites like cigarbid & use them as a "weather balloon" to see which way the wind is blowing in the cigar market. There is just way too much valuable information for the manufacturers not to be keeping an eye on c-bid. If I owned c-bid, I would only feature "subscriber's" products on the site & publish the numbers of daily/weekly/monthly sales back to the subscribers. That'd be worth something to me if I was making cigars.

Just my $0.02.

·
Mr. 305
2,124 Posts
(909) said:
Here's an example. I bought Padrons of all shapes and sizes 6 months ago thinking that they were a great brand. I personally don't like any Padron other than the 64 anny so I gave all of my other Padrons to friends. The Padrons were not cheap by any means but the quality is just OK. There is a perception that Padrons are a great cigar, I find them to be not great just good.

I recently bought a box of Cusano C10. Fairly inexpensive not a lot of hype, great cigar. If Cusano could create the perception that the C10 was great then they could charge Padron like prices. La Aroma de Cuba, great cigar med priced, if they could create the right perception then they could charge more.

I think that most cigar companies producing a similar quality product have approx the same cost factors to produce and market their product. The price is based on market economics, the buyers will eventually set the price by their willingness to purchase a product at a certain price. If Padrons are being bought off the shelves at a rate faster than expected then Padron will raise the price until the product purchases reach an expected level.
i may be partial to Padron because i have related with them in person and understand the hard work they undertake as a family run business, i was wondering what exactly makes their quality or anyone elses quality for that matter better than anothers?

·
Registered
904 Posts
(909) said:

I l.
WOW that's interesting becuase I would list Padron as one of the most reliable brands for quality control.

I'm confused if you don't like em & you state they are not cheap == why did you buy them?

If you gave all of them away, cept the 64's, how can you judge the quality & value?

The perception that Padron's are a great cigar comes from the people who smoke the cigars their marketing is quite small compared to the many other brands.

I again find their quality both top notch and consistant.

Others agree or am I wrong here?

·
Mr. 305
2,124 Posts
miketafc said:
WOW that's interesting becuase I would list Padron as one of the most reliable brands for quality control.

I'm confused if you don't like em & you state they are not cheap == why did you buy them?

If you gave all of them away, cept the 64's, how can you judge the quality & value?

The perception that Padron's are a great cigar comes from the people who smoke the cigars their marketing is quite small compared to the many other brands.

i completely agree with you mike. great points. they certainly dont go out and promote and advertise as much as the manufacturers, but their product is top notch and well respected in Miami.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
I'm with you miketafc; I have yet to come across a long filler Padon I would call inconsistant, be it X000, 64 Anni, or 26 Anni. I consider them a benchmark brand. The caps and wrappers on X000 sticks might look a bit rough at times, but the blend always tastes the same to me. Age them and they will get milder and smoother as expected. The fumas are of course less consistant but what can you expect for under a buck?

-Matt-

miketafc said:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'll chime in on the Padron front. I like the Padrons, especially the X000 series. The Anniversarys are great, but too much money for me to pick them up with any kind of frequency. I love the 3000 in maduro. It's one of my go to smokes.

I've had two of 4000's tunnel on me, but they were both from the same 5 pack from cigarbid and I think were overhumidified and needed longer in the humidor. Otherwise I have found the construction to be very consistent in Padrons. My only little complaint with Padron is that it seems like so many of them have such a rough cap.

·
Registered
904 Posts
yah, Padron does have a crappy cap, but it's consistently crappy on each cigar :)

I found that punching the 000 series works better for me than a cut.

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
I really like the X000's too, everyones had the rough cap but their consistancy in flavor is a major factor in it being one of my go to's as well. 64's are as good as it gets in domestics..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yeah, I would agree with most of the others on this point. Padron has always struck me as utterly consistent. I have never had any surprises from either. And i would not have considered the x000 smokes overpriced - compared to what?

That said, though, I can see how some people may find them consistent but still not like them. To each his own... but if you want to unload any more, PM me. I will dispose of them properly. :)

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have yet to try a Padron, but taking into account all the good reviews from you gorillas, I will put them on my priority list. :D

What would be a good variety of Padron to cut my teeth on?

Jeff

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Jeff said:
I have yet to try a Padron, but taking into account all the good reviews from you gorillas, I will put them on my priority list. :D

Jeff
I would say try a 2000M, 3000M, 4000M, 5000M, or the new 6000M :r
I buy the 2000s to smoke myself. After you know you like them, buymorecigars.com has them for $60/bx 25.

-Matt-

·
Registered
803 Posts
Threadjack on

Hey Matt (or anyone) you ever heard of Sol Cubano? I won a box at the Herf this weekend but have yet to talk to someone who has smoked one.

Threadjack off

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'm a Padron Whore. I spend more money than I should Anniversarios and always buy as many 1926s as I can when they arrive. You owe it to yourself to try at least one Anniversario and one 1926 ( I prefer the natural wrapper versions, but that's just me)

I also like the new 6000 torpedo. This is a truly fantastic cigar which should age very well in my estimation.

Mocobird gifted me a 5 year old Padron 2000 that I reviewed recently. I never got too excited over the 2000 line, but it seems age really helps them mature. It was very reminiscent of an Anniversario.

Fire me a PM and I'll send you an Anniversario if you like.

Jeff said:

Jeff

·
Registered
904 Posts
magno said:
Mocobird gifted me a 5 year old Padron 2000 that I reviewed recently. I never got too excited over the 2000 line, but it seems age really helps them mature. It was very reminiscent of an Anniversario.
God bless Mocobird. The problem that I have with Padrons is aging. I just can't seem to get any past a couple of months in the humidor, before I have to smoke it. I've tried buying more, but I ended up just smoking more.

I have accepted my faith, not ever knowing the taste of an aged Padron. At least I got to see the Sox win a world series. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.